Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 12:04 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,221,445 times

Advertisements

Sorry, but you gotta take care of yourself before you can take care of others. My parents and me are busting our asses in order for me to get a piece of paper that says "I'm qualified" to do x career. Even then there's no guarantee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 01:43 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
Great insight. That is how I see things. And if you can't have empathy when things are tough. Then you will never have empathy to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I think morals and empathy in general are dissappearing from our culture. We have CEO's and boards of directors tossing employees on the streets, offering poverty wages to professionals, running companies into the ground, forcing taxpayers to bail them out, and giving themselves raises to do it.

We have the older generation telling the younger generation you're screwed tough crap.

We have health care professionals and insurance companies bankrupting the middle class.

We have BP killing their workers and destroying the planet because fixing the blowout preventer seal before the leak would have put them behind schedule.

I have an elderly relative who had a sick dog she loved and the vets scammed her for over $8,000 and there wasn't even a surgery involved.

I can go on and on but the main problem in our society today is that everyone is working so hard to screw over everyone else and the screwed then go on to screw others. I firmly belive if this continues we will end up like Rome.

Old 06-11-2010, 01:44 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
And that entitles you to be self-centered and lacking empathy how? Empathy has nothing to do with "taking care" of anyone. It has to do with acknowledging and being sensitive to another person's trials and tribulations. It's about being well-rounded. And you can't learn that in college. They pretty much teach you to be sheep-herded.

You do realize some people have cancer? Some people are gay and have to deal with homophobia and alienation on a regular basis? Some people are Black and have to deal with racism? Some people are Muslim and have to deal with prejudice? Some animals are suffering in the oil spill? Some people are suffering because of chronic unemployment? You do realize there are problems and concerns that lay outside of yourself? There are problems and concerns that lay outside of "I have to bust my butt to get a degree". And what is your freaking point? Get over yourself now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Sorry, but you gotta take care of yourself before you can take care of others. My parents and me are busting our asses in order for me to get a piece of paper that says "I'm qualified" to do x career. Even then there's no guarantee.

Last edited by artsyguy; 06-11-2010 at 02:02 PM..

Old 06-11-2010, 09:11 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,221,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
And that entitles you to be self-centered and lacking empathy how? Empathy has nothing to do with "taking care" of anyone. It has to do with acknowledging and being sensitive to another person's trials and tribulations. It's about being well-rounded. And you can't learn that in college. They pretty much teach you to be sheep-herded.

You do realize some people have cancer? Some people are gay and have to deal with homophobia and alienation on a regular basis? Some people are Black and have to deal with racism? Some people are Muslim and have to deal with prejudice? Some animals are suffering in the oil spill? Some people are suffering because of chronic unemployment? There are problems and concerns that lay outside of "I have to bust my butt to get a degree". And what is your freaking point? Get over yourself now.
You can step off your soapbox now.

You're telling me to get over myself? You come off as though you're holier than thou because apparently you're more concerned about others. Don't make assumptions about a person you don't know. You don't know what my views and personal experiences are. I was just being honest. You blew my post out of proportion. You act like it is selfish for someone to pursue their own happiness and well-being.

Simply being empathetic isn't going to change anything. It is the necessary first step that needs to be taken before getting up and actually doing something about a particular problem in the world, but being empathetic alone isn't going to accomplish anything. You or me sitting in our homes thousands of miles away feeling bad for the oiled birds isn't going to do anything.

If you're so concerned about the oil spill, then go down to the gulf and volunteer. If you're so concerned about gay rights or discrimination against blacks, then participate in marches and events...or better yet, if you find yourself in a situation where discrimination against blacks, gays, Muslims, or anyone else is occurring, then step in and defend them. Concerned about cancer? Donate money to help fund vital research in the fight against cancer and various other illnesses and do all you can to spread awareness.

BTW, thanks to whoever said "You suck" while adding to my reputation. Now I'm even closer to getting a gold star.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:41 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Great insight. That is how I see things. And if you can't have empathy when things are tough. Then you will never have empathy to begin with.
Tough times don't build character, they only reveal it. If it's not there, it's not there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities