Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 11:52 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,056,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
A hospital in my region let go of almost all their LPNs. They want either RNs or CNAs. However, there is a shortage of RNs and CNAs in my area. Graduate CNAs decide it is not the right job for them within the first six months of work, probably about half of the time if not more often.
I think eventually the healthcare industry will be oversupplied with workers, but it will be more like 20-30 years down the road, after the bulk of the baby boomer generation has come to pass (literally). But, as that generation slowly but surely exits the work force, new jobs in other fields will open up. Just my two cents.
My grandmother (died in the 60s) was an LPN and she worked for patients, in their home, who needed medical care. Is the current trend to put the elderly in nursing homes or to have the medical care in the house of the patient? I'm not on top of that issue that's why I ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 12:09 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,560,715 times
The best degree for you to get is the one that prepares you best for the vocation in which you, personally, have a inner calling. I have a business degree, and my average salary did approximate that listed, but the career did not "feed" my inner need. Now, as I prepare to return to the working world, I regret that I didn't follow my inner desires, back when.

I am 54, and now that we've spent the past 22 months goofing off around the country, I've had a chance to think about what I want to do when I go back. I figure with the current economy, I am looking at another two or more decades in some sort of work.

Thirty some years ago, I moved from a pre-nursing program to business because I was working in business, and decided that while I liked helping people, I didn't care for the baser elements of the profession (mostly involving body fluids). Since then, I've seen that I might've applied my degree in various venues that didn't involve bedpans or sheets.

Spend some time identifying what you really love doing, and why you love it. Realize that your passions can translate to a variety of professions. Talk with a number of vocational counselors -- not just one. Go to some job fairs and talk with the represented employers. Look past the hype. Talk with people that work in your list of occupations, and find out what they like and dislike about their day-to-day working life.

After you have an idea of what you want to do, THEN decide what degree best serves you in that profession. In your undergraduate study, focus on as general an idea as possible. There's time for specialties in graduate work. And plan on graduate work. You can decide later to change your mind, but don't sell yourself short up front.

Best wishes. I hope you have as many great experiences in your life as I have had, and realize that you can ALWAYS change directions, after you are on your path -- but don't let indecision stop you. Get moving forward, NOW.

Old 06-12-2010, 07:08 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,694,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
The best degree for you to get is the one that prepares you best for the vocation in which you, personally, have a inner calling. I have a business degree, and my average salary did approximate that listed, but the career did not "feed" my inner need. Now, as I prepare to return to the working world, I regret that I didn't follow my inner desires, back when.

I am 54, and now that we've spent the past 22 months goofing off around the country, I've had a chance to think about what I want to do when I go back. I figure with the current economy, I am looking at another two or more decades in some sort of work.

Thirty some years ago, I moved from a pre-nursing program to business because I was working in business, and decided that while I liked helping people, I didn't care for the baser elements of the profession (mostly involving body fluids). Since then, I've seen that I might've applied my degree in various venues that didn't involve bedpans or sheets.

Spend some time identifying what you really love doing, and why you love it. Realize that your passions can translate to a variety of professions. Talk with a number of vocational counselors -- not just one. Go to some job fairs and talk with the represented employers. Look past the hype. Talk with people that work in your list of occupations, and find out what they like and dislike about their day-to-day working life.

After you have an idea of what you want to do, THEN decide what degree best serves you in that profession. In your undergraduate study, focus on as general an idea as possible. There's time for specialties in graduate work. And plan on graduate work. You can decide later to change your mind, but don't sell yourself short up front.

Best wishes. I hope you have as many great experiences in your life as I have had, and realize that you can ALWAYS change directions, after you are on your path -- but don't let indecision stop you. Get moving forward, NOW.
true

IMO We should all be prepared to change careers after about twenty years in the work place. Most of the newness and excitement that motivate us in a job is over in the first twenty years. From then till retirement we are are motivated by the avoidance of stressors in our respective professions. That's what a heart Dr. told a relative of mine.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:13 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,875,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
It already is in many jobs. New nursing grads have to be very flexible and creative to get jobs. Over at SDN in the pharmacy forum there is considerable debate whether Pharmacy is saturated now, or is soon to be that way (with differing opinions among working Pharmacists, current students, and students preparing to enter school).

Yes, the RNs as well. It seems that in my area, several schools opened up nursing programs as the demand by students hit an incredible level, because the job market was still decent. Now, two years later, just as some of these programs are getting final approval/accreditation/whatever it is and have graduated one or two classes, they are telling their soon-to-be graduates that they are going to have to be willing to move away or find some other creative way to get a job.

Totally wish I stuck with nursing as my major back when it was not as popular. Now these days I can throw a handful of pebbles and hit 10 people who are either doing pre-reqs for nursing or are trying to get into NS.
There was an editorial in the current issue of the American Journal of Nursing that stated that 40% of new graduates (this year) do not have jobs upon graduation. The editor noted that in her day, which was also my day of being a new grad, it was far, far easier to get that first job. I personally know a couple of new nursing grads who do not have jobs. One is in Chicago, which has a large health care community, one in Denver, which doesn't, but still has a lot of teaching hospitals and community hospitals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
My grandmother (died in the 60s) was an LPN and she worked for patients, in their home, who needed medical care. Is the current trend to put the elderly in nursing homes or to have the medical care in the house of the patient? I'm not on top of that issue that's why I ask.
Home health care is mostly delivered by CNAs. I don't know if people get put into the nursing home any sooner than in days past. The big thing these days is the assisted living facilities, which give less care than an NH, but more (obviously) than living on your own with no help at all.

Old 06-12-2010, 04:58 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,801,267 times
Career opportunities can change rapidly . My son, who is now in his mid 30's, opted to major in finance when he started college. He planned on getting into a job where the big money and action was, he was going to be a stockbroker. By the time he graduated 4 years later, that job was practically obsolete. Only 4 members of his graduating class managed to get hired, on a commission basis only.
I think it's more important to get into a field that interests you than just go for the money. Now if only my high school junior could find something interesting to major in. His school is trying to push him towards a history major, pooh.

Old 06-12-2010, 05:04 PM

24,130 posts, read 32,529,961 times
WHO CARES????
Study what makes YOU happy and fulfilled!
The wealthiest people I know have dine that,
If you hate or feel luke warm towards a particular profession you will burn out soon and again be searching for employment in a field that permits you to use your gifts!
Take my advise - been there done that....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities