Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 12:24 PM

6 posts, read 23,532 times

Advertisements

Hello, I currently live in Central Florida and I work for the air force here on the space coast. I am originally from DC/MD area and now I am considering to move to the Colorado Springs area. Im tired of the 4 seasons here(hot,real hot, very hot and kinda hot). I cant afford to move back to the DC/MD area and I dont think I can tolerate the traffic again. Since Colorado Springs is where our headquarters is located I have seriously considered moving there but I know nothing about the area including crime, family activities and winter weather. Also not sure if I should rent first before buying another home. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2007, 04:47 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetypetitie View Post
Hello, I currently live in Central Florida and I work for the air force here on the space coast. I am originally from DC/MD area and now I am considering to move to the Colorado Springs area. Im tired of the 4 seasons here(hot,real hot, very hot and kinda hot). I cant afford to move back to the DC/MD area and I dont think I can tolerate the traffic again. Since Colorado Springs is where our headquarters is located I have seriously considered moving there but I know nothing about the area including crime, family activities and winter weather. Also not sure if I should rent first before buying another home. Any suggestions?
What might be your price range if you buy? I assume you are married with kids.

If you do some searching on these posts you'll find lots of good information that will answer all of the questions you have. Use the "Search" tool for things like homes, schools, traffic, weather, etc. Please do this.

Ninety percent of the people who respond to questions like yours offer positive responses (as opposed to people who are inquiring about moving to Southern California).

I live near Monument which is basically the extreme north end of the Colorado Springs region. I work at Schriever AFB which is ten miles east of COS airport and Peterson AFB. The drive is easy. I also can get to southern Denver in about 35-40 minutes for a job if I ever need to. Big advantages living on the north side. Some of the best schools are on the extreme northern end of Colorado Springs. It is easier to drive north/south than it is to drive east/west in the Colorado Springs region.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,707 times
I moved here from So Calif 2 years ago. I am in Pueblo West. I love it here except the Wind and there is::::

No Fry's Electronics
No Trader Joes
No Cupids Hot Dogs (this is the worst thing) We Love Cupids
Most gas station car washes just spray water on your car instead of having scrubbers or soft brushes or chamois to wipe off the grime.
Produce doesn't seem quite as fresh as in California. I quit buying produce mostly because it is never very good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
OK, I'll bite.

Pros:
Nothing that Southern California is: traffic, social problems, graffiti, high cost of housing, and lack of regional psyche, spirit or soul. (Everyone in LA is from somewhere else so they don't identify with being "from LA". This is one reason why everyone leaves in the seventh inning at Dodger games.)
Sky Sox Stadium
Four Seasons
Not hot summers (compared to the San Fernando Valley); When it is hot here at least it is dry and breezy
Colorado Springs Airport (although DEN almost always has better flights at the expense of longer security lines)
Fresh Air
Lower property tax rate
Cheaper gas
Cooling afternoon thunderstorms
Diverse geography
Pikes Peak Library System
Frex (High speed internet ON THE BUS)
Several smaller school districts rather than one huge school district (LAUSD) - Gives people choices for where to live while still allowing them to live locally.
Seems like people here are a little more stable, not as likely to live on the edge. Could be due to the high percentage of people with military backgrounds??
Seems like people here are a little more wholesome especially the high school kids working McJobs.
Manitou Art Theater

Cons:
Our parents still live in LA
Sometimes icy roads in winter
The Gazette could be a little stronger on local news.
Road lines paint wears off too quickly, hard to see lane markings

The rest are so minor:
No Fry's Electronics
No AYSO, too many independent soccer leagues
No Trader Joes
No Cupids Hot Dogs
Fifty five MPH speed limit on the 225 in the Denver area, just seems too slow
Most gas station car washes just spray water on your car instead of having scrubbers or soft brushes or chamois to wipe off the grime.
Produce doesn't seem quite as fresh as in California (I guess this is to be expected)
Funky internet method to do your Colorado State Taxes
Some public pools (Wilson Ranch) have mandatory ten minute breaks every hour or so...unnecessary

Old 12-05-2008, 12:24 AM

454 posts, read 1,224,638 times
Fry;s is pretty good but if you live in the Springs area there is Tech for Less on GOG road. And if I remember correctly there a few Vienna Hot dog places here too one on Colorado Road in OCC and one on Palmer Park/Union. They are really good! But you did move to Pueblo West which is limited on alot of stuff. But to what sweety is asking I also am from the East coast but I couldn't afford a house there so now I am in the Springs. I would come here and rent with a very opened mind because there are alot of homes here for sale. And IMO the weather here is alot better than the DC/MD area too. SO come and check it out and ask all the questions you want. Plus do a search here on this forum because there is alot of good info on it. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs