Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 02:18 PM

3 posts, read 6,843 times

Advertisements

Hi, my wife and I will be moving to COS the first week of Sept. 2010 and need a little bit of location info before we do. I have heard that the SE part of COS, specifically around the 80916 area, isn't the best part of the city and that there's a higher level of crime/trashiness. Is this because of its proximity to the AFB and Airport? Or is it strictly its residents? I was mainly wondering because it seems that there are a lot of homes for sale/rent in that area.

Are there any other areas that should be avoided as far as renting/buying a home? Living downtown is already scratched off our list. That's just not our scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 02:26 PM

839 posts, read 2,418,897 times
In general, the further north you go in COS, the newer/nicer the neighborhoods. Being a native and having lived there 35 years, I would say definitely avoid most areas of town south of Austin Bluffs and especially south of Platte avenue.

Others may have different advice, but if I were ever to move back to the Springs, I would avoid the areas I mentioned.

Old 07-30-2010, 02:50 PM

6,826 posts, read 10,543,501 times
I would live anywhere in the city without hesitation except for apartment complexes around Airport Road/Chelton/Fountain Blvd. - in that case I'd check them out carefully, but if I had kids and had a choice I would not live in the Harrison School District #2 area right now. Personally I don't think newer is always better - there are GREAT neighborhoods in Fountain/Security/Widefield, Cheyenne Mountain, Old Colorado City, Central Colorado Springs, etc. The further north you go until you get out of the city and into the AFA area, it seems things get more cookie-cutter to me with a gajillion of the same old chain stores and restaurants, maybe because of that "newness", but there are new developments in all the cardinal directions.

Old 07-30-2010, 03:21 PM

26,238 posts, read 49,123,150 times
Concor, most of the city is fine. Our member DeckDoc lives in the SE part of town and swears by it. A quick visit is all it takes to figure out your preferred area as prices are pretty level all over, not like big east coast cities where closer-in equals very high prices.

I live up on the far north end of town near the USAF Academy but I'd not hesitate to live on one of those old tree-lined streets downtown near COLO College, streets like Cascade, Weber, Wahsatch, Nevada and so on, an area called "the old north end" which is very pretty.

It's often advisable to rent for 6-12 months before buying to really make sure of what it is you want and where you want it.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-30-2010, 03:22 PM

57 posts, read 117,875 times
North COS is nice. I love selling in the Northwest area of town. It feels as if you are tucked away in the city and you have your own section of town to yourself. Obviously everyone is going to claim where they live is the best so I will too. Northwest COS...Mountain Shadows, Rockrimmon, Woodmen Valley, and Peregrine. The closer the house is to the mountains and the further north you go the more expensive it gets.

Agree with Mike; Old north end is a nice area but can be expensive. Of course expensive can mean different things to different people.

Old 07-30-2010, 03:47 PM

26,238 posts, read 49,123,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoSpgsJamie View Post
North COS is nice. I love selling in the Northwest area of town. It feels as if you are tucked away in the city and you have your own section of town to yourself. Obviously everyone is going to claim where they live is the best so I will too. Northwest COS...Mountain Shadows, Rockrimmon, Woodmen Valley, and Peregrine. The closer the house is to the mountains and the further north you go the more expensive it gets.

Agree with Mike; Old north end is a nice area but can be expensive. Of course expensive can mean different things to different people.
Lots of truth to that, and there are a ton of homes for sale in the northern area of Briargate in the $200-300K range, plus a lot of stuff for twice that much. Some decent rentals up there too. Zip for searching is 80920.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-30-2010, 03:49 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,605,155 times
There are some new developments in southern COS, I think one is called Barnstormer. I know all the roads are aviation themed. You can also look near Marksheffel in Claremont Ranch area, there are some nice homes there as well.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:23 AM

3 posts, read 6,843 times
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenScoutII View Post
"In general, the further north you go in COS, the newer/nicer the neighborhoods. Being a native and having lived there 35 years, I would say definitely avoid most areas of town south of Austin Bluffs and especially south of Platte avenue.

Others may have different advice, but if I were ever to move back to the Springs, I would avoid the areas I mentioned."

I'm going to be looking at a house for rent in the 80917 zip code in a neighborhood located in the NE corner of Oro Blanco Dr. and Carefree Cir N. which just happens to be right under Austin Bluffs Pkwy/Barnes Rd.

You had mentioned nothing below Austin Bluffs. Did you mean the road or the area? Unfortunately I don't even know what area is considered the Austin Bluffs area. Is the neighborhood I mentioned in a good or bad area?

Thanks again.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:25 AM

6,826 posts, read 10,543,501 times
It is fine/average.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:32 AM

1,938 posts, read 7,131,812 times
Have teacher friends in that area- they run a lot. They like the area. Again, you will have to find what type of neighborhood you like best but there are lots to choose from. Great city!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs