Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 09:32 PM

17 posts, read 41,572 times

Advertisements

I used to be a landlord. No more! I agree that you are not being as responsible as you could be by being late with your payments, no matter what the excuse. You have set up a pattern of paying late. However, where in your rental agreement does it say you can hand over your rent check/cash to the parents of the landlord? Are you sure they are the parents? And, who cares what they are? You and Bruce have an agreement. No one else. Where is Bruce? In jail? Is there really "a Bruce?" You could use some legal advice and it is always helpful to read the landlord/tenant laws for your state. It would be a positive move to start getting the rent check mailed so it arrives on time and a second positive move would be to seek the advice of a legal advocate. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 01:28 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,572,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tred View Post
I used to be a landlord. No more! I agree that you are not being as responsible as you could be by being late with your payments, no matter what the excuse. You have set up a pattern of paying late. However, where in your rental agreement does it say you can hand over your rent check/cash to the parents of the landlord? Are you sure they are the parents? And, who cares what they are? You and Bruce have an agreement. No one else. Where is Bruce? In jail? Is there really "a Bruce?" You could use some legal advice and it is always helpful to read the landlord/tenant laws for your state. It would be a positive move to start getting the rent check mailed so it arrives on time and a second positive move would be to seek the advice of a legal advocate. Good luck.
This was exactly my concern in my post. The lease is between Bruce and the tenants, not his parents and the tenants. The tenants have no legal obligation to Bruce's parents for anything unless Bruce has listed them in the lease as his legal agents while he is wherever he is. So, unless Bruce's parents have Power of Attorney to act in his absence, or are mention in the lease as his agents, the tenants ARE being harassed by these people. I also suggested they have their lease reviewed by an attorney.

It also wouldn't hurt to find out what the laws for eviction are and whether or not these parents are permitted to evict you or if only Bruce is.

Old 10-08-2010, 01:51 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,572,682 times
Legal Resources This is a link to the Colorado Revised Statutes on Landlord Tenant Law in Colorado....

Old 10-08-2010, 07:01 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times
IMO, there is no "Bruce".

the parents actually own the home.They just don't want a relationship with the renter. We own rental property, and pay a manager to collect the rent, etc. His advice for us was to never communicate directly with the tennants, that's hs job (although our tennants are no problem)

This couple just doesn't want to pay for a manager, but doesn't want you to know they are your landlord. That way, you won't call them for little repair issues, etc.

Just out of curiosity, you might do a search of tax records to see who actually does own your property. I don't know how in CO, but I know its public record in TX.

But that doesn't answer your question of what to do about the rent thing. Doesn't it state in your lease how you are to make payments? Sent to such-and-such an address? I would send it to that address certified mail, and send a nice letter to the "parents" advising them you have sent rent on - date -.

Perhaps they are in foreclousre? Anyway to check on that? It happens all the time, a homeowner in distress leases his property, but ceases making mortgage payments, goes into foreclosure, tennants are kicked out even though they are paying on time (in your case, barely on time). There are new laws to protect tennants from such action, I don't know all the details, perhaps someone else here can speak more intelligently about them. However, I think in such cases the tennant can finish out his lease even if the property goes into foreclosure, as long as they are current on the rent and continue to pay (who?) on time.

Something fishy is going on in your case. As a LL, I don't want my tennants to move out, its too costly and time consuming to get new ones. No LL is going to go to such lengths to make you uncomfortable with the situation unless they want you out.

Perhaps they have sold the place, have a contract pending, and want you out before the buyers close?

Old 10-08-2010, 07:24 AM

375 posts, read 912,703 times
I am a landlord and my house is out of state. My tenant auto pays me to my checking acct, so that is something you might want to consider. If you don't make enough money to pay your rent on time, you may wish to think about getting a smaller place as well when your lease is up so you can avoid the drama.

That being said, he has been late several times, but I do try to do everything I can to keep him in there since it's easier than looking for a new tenant.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:12 AM

641 posts, read 2,276,853 times
I believe the OP stated that they actually met with "Bruce" once.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:10 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,767,081 times
Hmmmmm......the OP seems to be AWOL from his own thread. He's made only this one post. Just wanted to point this out.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:27 AM

70 posts, read 227,494 times
Maybe the folks want the rent paid on time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs