Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 10:12 AM

5 posts, read 7,970 times

Advertisements

My company may be transferring me to the Springs next year from Illinois, and I was wondering what can be said about any community theater, local music, or anything else cultural in the area. I have read a few threads that seem to say that there isn't much going on. Could anyone give me more info?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 11:47 AM

553 posts, read 1,635,740 times
Depends on what you're looking for.

The Pikes Peak Center hosts 3-4 plays every year. These are the travelling road shows of Broadway-type shows. Limited engagements.

Local theater will also stage several plays every year. The Smokebrush theater tends toward the ecclectic, but CU-Colorado Springs occassionally stages formal theater...Shakespeare and such.

Local music exists in several clubs, and comes from a pretty wide range of tastes. In the summer, it's not hard to find periodic free outdoor concerts featuring local talent. They did this for several years in America the Beautiful Park, and this last summer at the New Towne Point Center. For well-known and current entertainers, you're more likely to need to go up to Denver. The Academy has several concerts every year, and these are open to the public. There are occassional "name" entertainers at either the Pikes Peak Center or the World Arena (but with not near the frequency of the venues in Denver). There is a very talented Philharmonic right here in town, with several concerts every year.

The people who say that there isn't much going on are the same ones who say there are no good restaurants in Colorado Springs. When you ask them if they've experienced any of the possible options, they just stare at you blankly.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:11 AM
SYS

339 posts, read 1,171,916 times
If you're into classical music, you should check out what Colorado College in downtown offers. They not only offer performances by faculty artists and others throughout the year, but summer in particular they host the annual Summer Music Festival with world renowned musicians visiting to teach and perform. Then there's the annual, internationally famous Aspen Music Festival, as well as Vail Music Festival only a few hours of drive away. This past summer I took my family to see Sarah Chang perform at the Aspen Music Festival, but I missed Yo-Yo Ma's performance at the Vail Festival where New York Philharmonic is a regular summer residents.

The Colorado Springs Philharmonic is currently interviewing a half dozen prospective conductors to replace the retiring Lawrence Leighton Smith. The resumes of these candidates are truly impressive, so we have an exciting future ahead for us classical music lovers.

COS can also boast of having one of the best youth symphony organizations in the country, the Colorado Springs Youth Symphony. They frequently perform -- by invitation only -- at places like the Carnegie Hall and the Sydney Opera House. They also tour around the globe. They recently toured China and their future plan is to tour eastern Europe. They perform at various places in town, including the Pikes Peak Center. You get to see them perform often for free.

Speaking of Shakespeare, there's TheatreWorks’ Shakespeare Festival going on each summer at the Rock Ledge Ranch Historic Site by the Garden of the Gods. It's an outdoors event.

If you have children, COS has Imagination Celebration program through the Kennedy Arts Foundation. My children were regulars there. They often provide programs in collaboration with the Manitou Springs (next door neighbor to COS) arts communtiy and the Pikes Peak Public Library System.

These are just quick things that came up top of my head, but of course there are much more...

Now, as far as the COS cuisine goes...

Old 10-19-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYS View Post
Now, as far as the COS cuisine goes...
......after you visit Blue Star and Peppertree and The Famous and Pizzeria Rustica and Jake & Tellys and NOSH and Sonterra and the Craftwood and Sunbird and Paraviccini's and Giuseppe's and the Black Bear Inn and Phantom Canyon and the Warehouse and Mona Lisa and each of the fine restauarants at the Broadmoor, then you'll need to get creative.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:28 PM
SYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
......after you visit Blue Star and Peppertree and The Famous and Pizzeria Rustica and Jake & Tellys and NOSH and Sonterra and the Craftwood and Sunbird and Paraviccini's and Giuseppe's and the Black Bear Inn and Phantom Canyon and the Warehouse and Mona Lisa and each of the fine restauarants at the Broadmoor, then you'll need to get creative.
I was just trying to be funny....

Old 10-19-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYS View Post
I was just trying to be funny....
Oh. Sorry.

I just get wrapped pretty hard around the axle with all the bad-mouthing so many people do about restaurants in town, and when you ask them about it the only places they've been are Red Lobster and Olive Garden.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:11 AM
SYS

Quote:
Oh. Sorry.

I just get wrapped pretty hard around the axle with all the bad-mouthing so many people do about restaurants in town, and when you ask them about it the only places they've been are Red Lobster and Olive Garden.
No problemo... Your list of restaurants would serve me well when I take my wife out to a nice dinner...

Old 10-20-2010, 12:47 PM

55 posts, read 120,299 times
Quote:
Oh. Sorry.

in two and some change years i've been to

new panda ii, new panda iii, bhan thai, china inn 2, empire buffet, bamboo court, lemongrass bistro, wild ginger, coal mine dragon, yakitori 5, narai thai, thai basil, ai sushi, jun's, yoo mae, pho 54, rudy's country bbq, front range bbq, salsa brava, bird dog bbq, arceo's, taste of philly, arabica, greek cafe, pita bella, olive branch, taste of india, mirch marsala, phantom canyon, the curry leaf, senor manuel, la perla tapatia, louie's, poor richard's, opb&j, leon gessi, xtreme pizza, roman villa, sabores del peru, omelette parlor, peak grill, king's chef, little nepal, panino's, jose muldoon's, nanay betty's, windy city express, back east, adam's mountain, coquette creperie, la baguette, jake & telly, shin sa dong, rumi's kebab, corner cafe, la casita, heart of jerusalem, 2000 wok, red top, culpepper's, mollica's

i've been to a ton of local places to form my opinion that food is bad in this town. there are some decent places in the list above, but in general, food is far from good in this town.

Old 10-20-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo98 View Post
i've been to a ton of local places to form my opinion that food is bad in this town. there are some decent places in the list above, but in general, food is far from good in this town.
Try NOSH, the Blue Star, the Craftwood Inn, Peppertree, anything at the Broadmoor, Margarita at Pine Creek, the Warehouse.

You can't go to New Panda or Nanay Betty's and completely dismiss an entire town's cuisine. The Penrose Room is the only five star/five diamond restaurant in all of Colorado. There are extraordinary choices for fine dining here. You just need to be willing to pay for them.

Old 10-20-2010, 02:08 PM

2 posts, read 2,650 times
I am from Chicago. The food scene in Colorado Springs is as bad as it gets, tons of chains, and there is hardly any good local restaurants. If you are a foodie, move to Denver instead of CSprings. I think some Colorado Springs' locals need to travel to Denver to discover a totally different standard in terms of food and perhaps gain some perspective?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs