Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 09:13 PM

50,812 posts, read 24,321,239 times

Advertisements

Snow tires?
All-weather radials?
Regular radials?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 09:23 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,956,654 times
I just use all season radials. Never used snow tires and I've lived here for ten years and go skiing. Worked for me.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:25 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,893,349 times
I have some Firestone Winterforce (didn't stud them) on another set of wheels, going on their 3rd season. They might make it through April. But I installed some General Altimax HP's back in April and went through a couple decent snow storms through them and I was impressed! They are rated #1 on Tirerack. I'm going to see how they do in the next month now that I have 10k miles on them.

If I lived in the Springs I wouldn't even bother with winter tires. A good all-season is plenty.

Last edited by PokerMunkee; 10-27-2010 at 09:34 PM..

Old 10-27-2010, 10:16 PM

1,048 posts, read 4,345,696 times
All season / All terrain tiers here. It is the performance tiers that you do not want - really bad on snow.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:42 AM

1,938 posts, read 7,125,710 times
In the 14 yrs I lived there- all season. Remember, the city shuts down when it snows and you won't be driving it and it is only on the ground for a few hours. So, those store trips can't until it has melted.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:18 AM

641 posts, read 2,276,853 times
I also think it depends on what kind of vehicle you have. A rear-wheel drive corvette with all-season tires isn't exactly the ideal situation.

All-season tires on a vehicle with front wheel, all-wheel, or four wheel drive is very different. Studded snow tires are never a bad idea in the winter and plenty of folks switch to those come winter.

Again, sometimes it depends on the car you drive and the time of day that you do most of your driving. If you're a truck guy, heavy sand bags in the bed are also a smart idea.

You're retired, right Pheta? If so, it might be easier for you, since you don't necessarily have to be out in the early early mornings. When the sun comes up and warms everything up a bit, the roads can be completely different than just an hour or two before.

I'm on the road in the wee hours of the morning and it's dark and it's often before the plows hit the roads.

Cars do get stuck in high snow or slide off the road a'plenty around here.

There are mornings where Powers Blvd. is like an auto graveyard because there are so many abandoned vehicles on the shoulder. What doesn't help is that Powers and Academy have a lot of sloping hills....and stop lights right at the bottom.

I guess all that is to say, get good tires. Cheaper is not always better.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:36 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,956,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terytee View Post
I also think it depends on what kind of vehicle you have. A rear-wheel drive corvette with all-season tires isn't exactly the ideal situation.
Heh, no doubt. My Corvette hibernates during the winter and usually doesn't see the outside between early November and late March. I've seen some Vette drivers out there in the winter though and trying to drive in the snow. Seen Mustangs doing it too. I don't get it.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:55 AM

50,812 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terytee View Post

You're retired, right Pheta? If so, it might be easier for you, since you don't necessarily have to be out in the early early mornings.
Yes, Tery...I am retired. So on the one hand I don't need to be out in the worst of it, but as one who is living here partly due to the beauty of the state, I don't want to cower inside in "reasonable" winter weather (nor do I want to be foolhardy).

I had missed it before, but last night I went out and checked my tires again and finally noticed they are rated radial-M&S, which means they are better than all-weather radials. So I guess I have a reasonable level of protection for my needs.

I appreciate your thoughts a great deal!

Old 10-28-2010, 09:08 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,893,349 times
I'm sure you will be fine. Just remember to slow down and brake earlly

See how this first winter goes and if it gives you issues, get some Blizzak winter tires on another set of wheels. Sure it will cost around $1,000 but they will last you 3+ years, make your all-seasons last longer, and give you better control on the ice and snow.

They are predicting this winter will dry.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:35 AM

1,048 posts, read 4,345,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggin4colorado View Post
Remember, the city shuts down when it snows
Really? I know Washington D.C. does but unless we get several feet everything continues to work and function.

I recall only 3 big blizzard (Oct. 1997, 2003, and 2006) when many places really were shut down due to heavy blizzard. Other than that, to work we go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs