Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 07:25 AM

1,225 posts, read 4,921,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligirlanj View Post
I am interested in hearing from Southern California natives who have relocated to Colorado Springs. Do you like it and if so what makes it great for you? ...
We moved from San Marcos(North County SD) 6 years ago and never regret it. We bought a home in Woodmor because of the trees and larger lots. After living here awhile, I can tell you there are beautiful neighborhoods in just about every section of COS and the surrounding areas. Because of the buyers market right now I would suggest renting and checking the whole area out, especially if you are not sure where you'll be working.

The weather in San Diego cannot be beat, but I really don't mind it here. Your wardrobe will definitely grow due to the assorted jackets, gloves, boots, snowshoes, etc, that you'll need to survive winter. For the first time in my life I now own snow shovels, a snow blower, and snow tires.

I wouldn't worry about conservatives vs liberals. There are plenty of both, and most don't care about other people's leanings.
Good luck with your move.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 10-29-2010 at 10:51 AM.. Reason: Fixing quoted material
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 08:49 AM

2,299 posts, read 4,826,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera32 View Post
We bought a house in the Old North End section of downtown Colorado Springs. .....
Mahalo, I will DM you. Good info! We're retired Navy, but schmooze easily with Army and Air Force

Last edited by Mike from back east; 10-29-2010 at 10:49 AM..

Old 10-29-2010, 05:06 PM

930 posts, read 1,654,557 times
Old North End has plenty of houses under the 400K range, so that is not the lower limit in that area. Course it depends on the quality of the house.

To answer the question, I have a couple friends who lived in the Tahoe/Napa Valley area, and they cannot wait to move away from here. The friendliness is an issue, people aren't falling over in kindness here. It does not bother me as much, I'm not a big "neighborly" person.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:41 AM

727 posts, read 1,366,178 times
Holly - You're right, you can get into Old North End for less than $400K. The trick is, as you note, the quality of the house. Our experience is that if you go much lower than that you'll find two issues: 1) the house will require significant renovation/restoration, such that you'll ultimately wind up paying around $400K or possibly a lot more by the time you're finished, and/or 2) the price is low because of something you can't change (e.g., busy intersection; higher traffic area, like Cascade or Nevada; location next to a school playground (may be a plus for some; for us, not so much). Example: there was a beautiful brick bungalow that we really liked and the price eventually came down to (I believe) the mid-300's. Unfortunately, it was on the corner of Uintah and Nevada, a very busy intersection with lots of traffic noise. My advice, if you're in the market, you like downtown living, and you can find a move-in ready home in the Old North End on a quiet street for less than $400K, buy it. I don't think you'll go wrong. Other examples: There's a very nice restored bungalow currently on the market for about $380K, and another newly and completely (new roof, new plumbing, new wiring, new kitchen, etc.) restored one that just sold for about the same price, both on the same great (i.e., no traffic, wide, quiet, tree lined) street. I think they're pretty representative of the pricing in Old North End for smaller (e.g., 2200 sq ft), entry level houses in great condition.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:52 PM

I agree! The key word is quality and the amount of work needed. It is very difficult to find a move-in ready house in the lower 300-250 range, without needing some work, and if you are able to do all the work yourself, awesome, but many people can't and don't have the time to do it.

Of course many of them are older houses so the expectation is that there will always be a lot of work as things continue to fall apart. My house is a bungalow dating from the 19teens and we're a bit tired of needing to have sewer cleanouts every nine months.

ETA: I know the brick house you're talking about on Uintah and Nevada. Very pretty, but I agree, I wouldn't want to live on a corner of two streets like that!

Old 11-01-2010, 04:14 PM

87 posts, read 379,276 times
Very religious here! The first question I get asked when I meet someone new is "where do you go to church?" People are very friendly, or rather nice. Except for the awful man who got all road rage-y CRAZY at me today for going the speed limit in a very high police presence road. You won't see much road rage. Not a ton of diversity compared to San Diego- but it is getting better with time thank goodness.

Old 11-01-2010, 06:38 PM
SYS

339 posts, read 1,172,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwiz View Post
Very religious here! The first question I get asked when I meet someone new is "where do you go to church?" People are very friendly, or rather nice. Except for the awful man who got all road rage-y CRAZY at me today for going the speed limit in a very high police presence road. You won't see much road rage. Not a ton of diversity compared to San Diego- but it is getting better with time thank goodness.
That crazy guy must be from California...

Old 11-01-2010, 09:34 PM

I rarely get asked where I go to church unless I have known that person for a while. I know that's not typical, though.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:55 AM

87 posts, read 379,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYS View Post
That crazy guy must be from California...
ha! No definitely South Florida! The road rage there is any everyday, everywhere occurrence!

Old 11-02-2010, 10:06 AM

727 posts, read 1,366,178 times
Or possibly DC, MD, or NoVA. More than a few cases of physical violence, including drivers getting shot at...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs