Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2010, 11:43 AM

20 posts, read 81,942 times

Advertisements

We're planning a move to COS and really like the Peregrine area. We've already looked at houses and might make an offer, but I've heard a few things that sound specific to that area.

**Is it true that Peregrine gets a lot of thunderstorms that the other areas do not get?

**I've heard that it gets darker/cooler in the evenings much earlier because of the sun setting over the mountain. Any thoughts?

**Is morning/evening traffic bad on Woodman?

**Are there any other possible negatives or some great positives about the Peregrine area that only those who have lived there would know?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. It's a big move for us (and a big purchase) so we really want to make the best choice for the COS area!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 02:32 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,956,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTrish View Post
We're planning a move to COS and really like the Peregrine area. We've already looked at houses and might make an offer, but I've heard a few things that sound specific to that area.

**Is it true that Peregrine gets a lot of thunderstorms that the other areas do not get?

**I've heard that it gets darker/cooler in the evenings much earlier because of the sun setting over the mountain. Any thoughts?

**Is morning/evening traffic bad on Woodman?

**Are there any other possible negatives or some great positives about the Peregrine area that only those who have lived there would know?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. It's a big move for us (and a big purchase) so we really want to make the best choice for the COS area!

Well, I don't live in that area (I live in the NE), but I'll answer as best as I can:

It is true that the closer you live to the mountains (as you would there) you will get more thunderstorms and potential lightning strikes. A lot of this is due to the high amount of granite in that area from what i understand. As the storms move east form the mountains they tend dissipate to an extent. Now it's not like houses up there catch on fire every year or people are struck with regularity, but using some sense during the afternoon summer storms that come like clockwork will keep you safe.

Yes, it does get darker/cooler there sooner than like in the NE where I live, but not that much sooner. I certainly wouldn't let that stop me from living up there.

Morning/evening traffic on Woodman can be a pain, especially between I-25 and Academy. This should be alleviated once they complete the Academy/Woodman construction. That being said, it's not like you're in a traffic jam such as you would see in a large city.

The only other thing that I know of concerning that area is wildlife. (This come from friends who live in Rockrimmon). You do have to be a bit careful with pets because of cougars. They should be inside and definitely don't just open the backdoor and let the dog out to do its business. Again, it's not like pets get taken by cougars all the time or even frequently, but it can happen. Bears are known to come in to those neighborhoods as well. Bulb gardens, in particular, are know to be decimated quickly by deer. That does happen frequently. If you are aware of the wildlife and can live with that, then there should be no problem.

The one last thing I have heard concerning the NW, especially as you more and more into the foothills concerns home foundation stability. Now, I don't know how much of an issue it really is, but it is something to ask your realtor or home inspector about from what I've heard. I have no idea to the actually veracity of this. Just something I've heard.

I hope this helps a little.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:12 PM

7,184 posts, read 9,317,614 times
We considered moving to Peregrine in 1992 but decided against it. One problem for us is that the covenants did not allow perimeter fences, and we have several dogs. We really did not want to keep dogs either chained or inside all the time. Another issue is an incredible number of wild deer. They roam through the neighborhoods eating flowers, shrubs, leaves, etc. And the problem is compounded by the lack of perimeter fences. You cannot keep them out of your back yard.

Also, the access to shopping required a too long trip for groceries or just about anything. Since then, shopping access may have improved.

One other issue for my wife is that from Peregrine, the view of Pikes Peak is obscured. That didn't bother me; I know it's still there, but it did bother her. Finally, at the time Peregrine covenants required an expensive shake shingle roof in lieu of a less expensive asphalt shingle roof. I doubt that requirement is still in effect because I don't think shake shingle roofs are used anymore.

We moved to Briargate and love it. Superior access to shopping, dog friendly perimeter fences, and the unobstructed views of the whole front range made it a better choice for us.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:25 PM

727 posts, read 1,366,178 times
Ditto Vision's comments. I believe the homes there are patio homes with nice wide open common areas. Even if the lots are privately owned, I'm pretty sure the HOA takes care of the grounds. As a result, no fences allowed. That killed it for us. The pooch needs a place to run. Homes are beautiful, however.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:58 PM

20 posts, read 81,942 times
Thanks everyone for your comments! It's such a big move and I want to make sure we are doing the right thing for our family. Our realtor did tell us about "mine insurance" for some of the places in Rockrimmon, but it doesn't look like Peregrine is affected. That was also good info about how long it would take to go grocery shopping, etc. The wildlife issues don't bother me, but the gardner in me might get a bit frustrated in the near future if we do move there! We are also considering Northgate and Glen Eagle. Vision... much like your wife, my DREAM house would have a view of Pikes Peak from my back deck!

Old 11-20-2010, 06:08 AM

177 posts, read 357,986 times
HappyTrish,
During our second assignment to the Springs, we lived in Briargate; this was the mid 90's and we loved it being a young family at the time. However, if we move back next year, we are looking in Gleneagle or Northgate. A couple of our friends live in Monument, which I also love, but it's just a bit too far and with that hill in the winter...
Another friend lives in Peregrine and I LOVE their neighborhood... walkable, very clean... but Visions is correct about the wild animals up there. Last time we visited them, we were having tea on their back deck in July and deer were everywhere between the houses. No fences, so they roam along the greenbelt and my dogs wouldn't like being stuck inside.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:28 AM

930 posts, read 1,654,557 times
There are SO MANY wild deer, it's really amazing. I do not live in that area (I live in central C/S) and my husband and I have been scouting neighborhoods for months now to really know where we want to live. Every single time we go anywhere west of I-25 we see deer, but in some areas they are all over the place. My real estate agent, who admittedly is biased as she almost totalled her car because of a deer, calls them huge rats. It's a turn off for me, as once a deer is cute, twice is tolerable, but if I see them every time we visit the N/W side of town ( once to twice a week), then imagine living with them every day. Slowing down because a deer is ambling across the street, eating your bushes! It can get frustrating.

But we did drive through parts of Peregrine and the houses and views are pretty striking. I think I'd prefer the S/W part of town, though. If school districts are a concern, District 12 schools are superior in several ways (imo) to District 20 schools. I made a spreadsheet with specific schools (Air Academy, Eagleview, and Rockrimmon) and compared them to the schools in District 12- they were similar, but District 12 won out every time.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:59 PM

50 posts, read 114,242 times
As far as thunderstorms go, it is true they develop closer to the mountains. However, they do NOT dissipate as they move east. As they hit the warmer air of the lower altitudes they tend to grow. Most of the severe weather is on the plains, not near the mountains

Pretty much every afternoon in the summer will be cloudy with a chance of showers, especially closer to the mountains. It is a two edged sword because while it can disrupt swimming plans, it really takes the edge off the heat. Summers are very comfortable here.

As others have mentioned, going between west and east in this town is difficult. The traffic on Woodman can be terrible during peak times. If you work on the east side it will add considerably to your commute.

In addition, you have to be careful about expansive soils nearer the mountains. You will want a soil survey/history and a good home inspection to check the foundation and basement wall construction.

The west side is beautiful though, and I'm sure you will enjoy it when you find a good place to land there. Good luck with your home search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs