Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 03:24 PM

80 posts, read 150,834 times

Advertisements

I used to be on the other side of the fence on this issue. I used to live in a rental house where the property line followed the sidewalk and had a chain link fence that went all the way around the house. My dogs are & were well trained and would not even look at people walking by. Since I knew the safety issues with the yards' proximity near the sidewalk, I always sat on the front porch when the dogs were out (my dogs lived inside-still do). I was perpetually training the dogs not to be threatened by the people walking by because the people walking by would try to "train" the dogs to think of them as threats. I could've believe how many times I'd see my dogs minding their own business and someone would walk by and either "bark" at my dogs repeatedly until they got a reaction out of me (most people never noticed me sitting on the porch until they acted like an idiot, causing me to get up and walk their way-they were trying to get a reaction out of dogs, not me), or they would throw something at them or yell at them. When they finally noticed me because I'd say something back to them, they'd make excuses "I don't trust dogs that are outside when I walk by so I wanted to start off on the right foot" "I'm being proactive" "I didn't think he was real since he wasn't moving", blah blah blah. The worst was once when my dog had his back turned to the street and was pooping. Some smartass 20 something year old guy walking by with his buddies thought it would be cute to throw a full coke can at him and laugh. When I got up and ran over to pick up the coke to throw back at him, him and friends took off running, laughing the whole time.

Honestly, it was a perpetual problem unless I stood right by the fence. I lived by the community center, so it was a busy pedestrian street. A lot of regular walkers got to know me & the dogs and were polite. People always commented on how well behaved the dogs were when they walked by, but almost every week there was at least one jerk. The sad thing is that it was teenagers and adults I had the most problems with. I was two blocks from a middle school and the kids walking to & from school never messed with my dogs, except for the occassional kids that wanted to stop & pet them and even then, they always noticed I was outside with the dogs and would ask permission first, unlike the oblivious adults. I can only imagine how the dogs would have behaved if we didn't go hiking or walking every day or if they lived outside 24/7 & had to put up with it all day & night. The neighbor across the street from me was in the same situation and ended up moving because of the aggravation.

So the problem of lack of exercise, stimulation, etc can also be aggravated by how people who walk by treat them. Which is another perfect example of why people shouldn't leave their dogs outside unattended, especially if the yard borders a sidewalk. People can be bad pet owners who treat their dogs like crap and so can people who walk by & see the dogs. It's not safe for the dogs or for the people walking by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 06:26 PM

2,221 posts, read 5,248,054 times
I have a video camera trained on both my front and back yards, activated by any motion in the camera's field of view. When I catch a dog peeing/pooping in my yard, I print a picture of the dog doing it's thing on a sample "reward for missing dog" poster, and put it in the owner's mailbox.

I haven't had a lot of those problems ever since. I suspect the same poster might work for a barking dog...

Old 11-29-2010, 06:34 PM

2,140 posts, read 6,441,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allprolab View Post
I'm not too crazy about anyone feeding my dog treats that I don't know. But I'd also like to say that no one would be having this problem with my dogs. If your property line is along a sidewalk I think you do have an obligation to make it safe for people to walk by, "mean" dog or not. But dogs will bark. Most are doing it out of nervousness because they don't know you. Some don't handle nerves as well as others, and a good dog owner wouldn't put the dog in that position for his sake as well as others.
Better a treat than a threat of violence, eh?

Old 11-29-2010, 08:24 PM

50,143 posts, read 23,792,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post
I have a video camera trained on both my front and back yards, activated by any motion in the camera's field of view. When I catch a dog peeing/pooping in my yard, I print a picture of the dog doing it's thing on a sample "reward for missing dog" poster, and put it in the owner's mailbox.

I haven't had a lot of those problems ever since. I suspect the same poster might work for a barking dog...
Many years ago...when I was a kid...so we're talking the 1960s, we had no leash laws where we lived and there was one particular dog who would go up on everyone's porch and pee on the milk box (yes, we still had milk deliveries). One neighbor complained to the owner repeatedly, complained to the police, etc., all to no avail. So, he ran an electrical line to the milkbox. The dog was, of course, electrocuted when he peed on it. Of course, unacceptable behavior, but your post reminded me of it.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:58 AM
SYS

339 posts, read 1,167,962 times
In my "What To Do With Problem Neighbors?" thread, I mentioned the problems with the hoarder neighbor. Well, one of the issues that I forgot to mention was the same problem that you're faced with, phetaroi. The dog lives its wild life inside that backyard-turned-junkyard with mounds and holes and trash, and it'd bark through several holes it has made through the fence at any passerby. I stopped taking my stroll around that house. If I ever do I'll be carrying a chill pepper spray and fire at the dog when it sticks its head out of the fence hole. A city code enforcer came to that house today, so we'll see how things pan out...

Old 12-01-2010, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYS View Post
In my "What To Do With Problem Neighbors?" thread, I mentioned the problems with the hoarder neighbor. Well, one of the issues that I forgot to mention was the same problem that you're faced with, phetaroi. The dog lives its wild life inside that backyard-turned-junkyard with mounds and holes and trash, and it'd bark through several holes it has made through the fence at any passerby. I stopped taking my stroll around that house. If I ever do I'll be carrying a chill pepper spray and fire at the dog when it sticks its head out of the fence hole. A city code enforcer came to that house today, so we'll see how things pan out...
Interesting that you mention the holes in the fence issue. There is another spot along my usual walk where that exists, although the dog on that property seems to be just a barker, rather than actually aggressive.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:04 PM

56 posts, read 115,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allprolab View Post
I'm not too crazy about anyone feeding my dog treats that I don't know. But I'd also like to say that no one would be having this problem with my dogs. If your property line is along a sidewalk I think you do have an obligation to make it safe for people to walk by, "mean" dog or not. But dogs will bark. Most are doing it out of nervousness because they don't know you. Some don't handle nerves as well as others, and a good dog owner wouldn't put the dog in that position for his sake as well as others.
My dog will bark at people passing on the sidewalk inside the house by the window. He's a guardian breed and he barks to protect his household. I do my best to keep my dog quiet at night and in the morning, but when I moved in I made sure my neighbors knew that he is a sight barker, and if they have any issues to please come to me.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Alaskan View Post
My dog will bark at people passing on the sidewalk inside the house by the window. He's a guardian breed and he barks to protect his household. I do my best to keep my dog quiet at night and in the morning, but when I moved in I made sure my neighbors knew that he is a sight barker, and if they have any issues to please come to me.
Just to respond, I accept that people own dogs. I accept that those dogs bark, and it sounds as if you are fair and responsible about the situation.

What I encountered that set off this thread was a dog who wasn't just barking as I walked past. The dog was lunging against the fence...which is 6 feet high...and eventually was able to get this front legs and head over the top of that 6 foot fence, attempting to get at me.

If anyone has the idea that I dislike dogs, they're wrong. We had dogs when I was growing up. I was out petting two neighbors' dogs today. They were barking...no problem.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:48 PM

56 posts, read 115,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Just to respond, I accept that people own dogs. I accept that those dogs bark, and it sounds as if you are fair and responsible about the situation.

What I encountered that set off this thread was a dog who wasn't just barking as I walked past. The dog was lunging against the fence...which is 6 feet high...and eventually was able to get this front legs and head over the top of that 6 foot fence, attempting to get at me.

If anyone has the idea that I dislike dogs, they're wrong. We had dogs when I was growing up. I was out petting two neighbors' dogs today. They were barking...no problem.
Oh wow.... I didn't realize it was a 6 foot fence... that's crazy!! I agree at that point it's VERY excessive and the owners should definately do something regarding their dog. Mine can't even reach the top of the 6ft fence I have, and he's a big dog.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:50 PM

14 posts, read 27,444 times
I had a problem recently in Omaha's dog park with a bunch of schnauzers picking on my dog. I went over and picked up my dog and the schnauzers proceeded to jump up on me and bite my dog's tail while I was holding him. Let's just say I had NO problem kneeing a pack of schnauzers. If a dog is causing you trouble, and their owner is 100 yards away, use your best discretion Even if you have to inadvertently teach the owner a lesson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs