Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 09:59 PM

50,860 posts, read 24,371,727 times

Advertisements

I like dogs. But I tire of those people who let their dogs harass people.

I like to go out for a daily walk on public sidewalks in the neighborhood. The constant barking is annoying enough. The lunging at the fence is over the line. The dog who can get his front legs and head over the fence...but luckily not his whole body...is way over the line.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 10:02 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,537,814 times
I agree. Control them please.

Old 11-27-2010, 10:19 PM

727 posts, read 1,366,846 times
We just moved to COS and settled in a neighborhood that borders Monument Valley Part. We moved to that area in part because of the park. We just adopted a retired racing greyhound. One of the stipulations for adopting a greyhound is that she must be leashed at all times when we take her out There are numerous reasons (among them are that they're sight hounds, and if they see small furry creatures, they'll chase them and most likely won't obey verbal commands to cease and desist). Suffice to say, she's always leashed when I walk her in the park. Most of the people I meet who are their dogs don't have have on leashes. When they see us, most will leash their dogs and everything's fine. However, yesterday, I was overtaken by four large enthusiastic unleashed dogs, with their owners about 100 yards behind them. With my newly adopted greyhound, who's not fully socialized yet, I was more than a bit concerned to be surrounded by these guys. Luckily, they were friendly, and my dog is used to being around other dogs, so we were ok. But I had no way of knowing that. How about it folks, aside from any legality (I think the rules of the park require leashes), could y'all agree to let your dogs off leash on the playing fields, and leave the trails to those of us who walk our dogs on leashes?

Old 11-28-2010, 08:04 AM

2,140 posts, read 6,471,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I like dogs. But I tire of those people who let their dogs harass people.

I like to go out for a daily walk on public sidewalks in the neighborhood. The constant barking is annoying enough. The lunging at the fence is over the line. The dog who can get his front legs and head over the fence...but luckily not his whole body...is way over the line.

Sorry, you just have to tolerate it. The dogs are confined on private property. Unless they get out, you have to deal.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:20 AM

50,860 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Legally, you're probably correct. But there is also such a thing a personal and community responsibility.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:27 AM

2,140 posts, read 6,471,784 times
Most dogs are under-exercised and bored. They are protecting their property. Maybe you should try talking to them and throwing them some treats. Then they will be happy to see you eventually. That's what garbage, mail-carriers and delivery folks do.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:49 AM

86 posts, read 339,883 times
I had a problem with a couple of neighbors dogs coming into my yard. One of the dogs had already bit a child in the neighborhood and I was afraid it was going to do the same to my grand baby that was out visiting.
So, I called El Paso County animal control who basically said that it was my job to fence out unwanted animals. Odd, you'd think that it would be the responsibility of the dog owner to fence in their animals. But after speaking with LE, I was told the same. I was also told I could shoot it.
I opted for a paintball gun in case it comes back and a big stick for my walks.
I've even thought about buying a flute for my walks.

Also, I'd be reluctant to throw someones dog a treat. Not all dog owners like it when strangers feed their animals.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:36 AM

7,190 posts, read 9,329,700 times
It's a sad fact that most dog "owners" soon become bored with their dogs. They likely got a dog because their children wanted a puppy. However, that short time soon is forgotten and their dog becomes an unwanted, ignored obligation.

We have several dogs and we walk them daily, always on a leash. As far as I can tell, we're the only people in the neighborhood that do daily walks. The rest of the dogs spend their lives bored and barking in their fenced yards.

If they are unwilling to care for the dog, most people should avoid getting one.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:57 AM

1,642 posts, read 1,647,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Legally, you're probably correct. But there is also such a thing a personal and community responsibility.
I like very much of what you have stated "But there is also such a thing a personal and community responsability"
I do respect very well everybody and its dogs as animal companions and pets in general, but most of dow owners have to take responsability and understand that we all humans are priority above any animal life and the wellbeing of any citizen is not less important than any animal or pets rights even in their homes.
Dogs even in their owners private front yards where pedestrians are passing or walking by the sidewalks have to be under supervision.
I believe that we all live in a very civilizated society !

Old 11-29-2010, 01:59 PM

665 posts, read 1,296,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalahartma View Post
Most dogs are under-exercised and bored. They are protecting their property. Maybe you should try talking to them and throwing them some treats. Then they will be happy to see you eventually. That's what garbage, mail-carriers and delivery folks do.
I'm not too crazy about anyone feeding my dog treats that I don't know. But I'd also like to say that no one would be having this problem with my dogs. If your property line is along a sidewalk I think you do have an obligation to make it safe for people to walk by, "mean" dog or not. But dogs will bark. Most are doing it out of nervousness because they don't know you. Some don't handle nerves as well as others, and a good dog owner wouldn't put the dog in that position for his sake as well as others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs