Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2010, 06:19 AM

3 posts, read 11,543 times

Advertisements

Hello.. I am currently thinking about taking a job in Colorado Springs that would start in the next couple months.. I've been searching these forums quite a bit lately, but I thought it might be nice to get some perspectives from people with my specific details..

I'm only 24 years old and thinking about taking a job with a starting salary somewhere around 40k with full benefits. Coming from WI, this is actually a pretty good entry level salary for someone my age. Therefore, one of my first questions comes down to cost of living. I've been around numerous sites lately with varying information. Some sites say its well above the national average where as a few say it's actually below. Where I live in WI everyday items come very cheap. I currently take home only about 1600 a month after taxes but no benefits... and I actually get by pretty well... (Even with my high debt problem) Would a nice apartment by affordable with my projected income?

Next on my lists of concerns is the crime. Again, I've done some research with varying results. I actually grew up just south of Washington DC for my early childhood (until the age of 9). Crime there was awful... Seriously awful. My parents were scared to let me walk to school, the whole deal. Then, we moved to Baraboo, WI where crime is basically nonexistent. I love the small town feel. That's one of my primary concerns along with safety for my finance.

My finance and I are really thinking about making the plunge. She's currently in a beauty school here in WI and she could actually transfer to the same school in Colorado Springs which would of course work out great. She likes a little night life from time to time so I guess that's a bit of an issue as well. I, however, am much more the home type, and when I go out I like a little bar and grill where you can actually have a conversation. (Also off topic but some minor league baseball in town is a definite plus)

So thanks to all of those that can possible help. I would love a point of view from anyone.. Anyone at all.

Oh and weather isn't a concern for me at all. I've been through it all basically in my life. Disgustingly hot weather and frigid cold for weeks/what seemed to be months on end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 08:00 AM

598 posts, read 1,546,793 times
I'm also from Wisconsin and can chime in here.

Colorado Springs is a great place to live for so many reasons.

It is fairly affordable to live here. Not much difference compared to Wisconsin.

You'll love the weather here...lot of sun and a lot of outdoor activities, year-round!

Plenty of places to go on a Friday night, especially compared to Baraboo. Personally, I like to go to Tony's Bar...it's a Wisconsin-themed bar. Great food, cheap beer and fun people.

You should do just fine here with your salary and benefits. Highly encourage you to come on out for a visit to see for yourself. Let me know if you have any other questions and I wish you and your fiance the best.

p.s. You will find plenty of Wisconsinites here in Colorado Springs!

Old 11-30-2010, 08:58 AM

727 posts, read 1,366,178 times
Dougjore: Where in the DC area did you live? Having just moved from the DC area to COS, I might be able to give you some perspective.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:14 AM

3 posts, read 11,543 times
Dale City. Only until I was 9.

Bullitt007... Tony's Bar is Wisconsin-themed? Interesting... Very interesting.. haha. Can everyone there drink like they're in WI? Also do they manage to get Brewers' games? That would be a nice little plus.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:32 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,891,948 times
Doooo it! It's fun to live in difference places and experience life.

Living next to the mountains, hiking/camping in the summer and skiing/boarding in the winter is awesome.

I think you'll also like the weather better here. I'm from Michigan (Grand Rapids) and love it in Colorado much better. No humidity and bugs FTW!

Old 11-30-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjore View Post

Bullitt007... Tony's Bar is Wisconsin-themed? Interesting... Very interesting.. haha. Can everyone there drink like they're in WI? Also do they manage to get Brewers' games? That would be a nice little plus.

Yup yup...when you walk in, you'll see the walls adorned with all-things Wisconsin! Leinenkugel's, PBR, Old Style, Packers, Badgers, etc. It's owned by a guy from Wisconsin. I go on Friday nights...Fish & Schlitz Meal! Beer-battered walley, fries, cole slaw, bread and a Schlitz for $9! And yes, the do serve deep fried cheese curds!

Here's the menu: http://www.tonysdowntownbar.com/menu.pdf

I'm from a small town not too far away from Baraboo...Viroqua.

I also see you like baseball...I live about a mile from the SkySox stadium. Usually there once or twice a week during the summer. Plus, tix are CHEAP! If you like college hockey, the Badgers usually come to either Colorado Springs or Denver for two games each year...we never miss a Badger game. Air Force also has a great hockey team.

Cheers,
Bullitt

Old 11-30-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjore View Post

Brewers play in Denver...only about an hour or so away.

If you come out this way, first round is on me!

Old 11-30-2010, 02:56 PM

727 posts, read 1,366,178 times
Dougjore - I lived in NoVA for about 26 years and just left a few weeks ago to settle in COS. Never lived in Dale City, but I don't recall hearing that the crime there was "seriously awful" at least not compared to SE or NE DC. That said, I think you'll be able to find that most areas in COS are low crime areas, probably much lower than Dale City, or at least parts of it. Posters on this site have warned against parts of the SE section of COS, but others have said that area is find and only to avoid a certain large apartment complex. Most posters say that crime here is mostly property related (burglaries, vandalism), as opposed to violent crime. I'm sure there's more crime than you've experienced in Wisconsin, but on balance, I think you'll find COS to be a pretty low crime area as compared to other cities of its size. I live downtown a few blocks north of Colorado College and have no reservations about being out late at night and walking my dog (a decidedly wussy greyhound). I think you'll find most of the 'burbs to be very safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs