Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 07:05 AM

1,938 posts, read 7,122,984 times

Advertisements

Colorado Springs, CO Crime Map - Showing Crimes in Colorado Springs - Crime Statistics, Alerts and Reports - Crime Stops Here

Everyone's view on crime is different. Here is a map so you can put it in your own perspective. Those who live in Colorado Springs will view crime differently than those on the east and west coast.

Also, keep in mind, the areas that Colorado Springs PD does not cover- outside of COS, the sheriff's department covers. That's why it appears there is no crime in other areas.
Here is another map to look at crime for the area that the sheriff dept covers.
Community Policing & Neighborhood Crime Statistics | CrimeReports.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 04:45 PM

727 posts, read 1,365,714 times
Great info Froggin... You're right, about the differing perspective. These stats would reflect a quiet night in DC.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:50 AM

That's why I wanted to post this. So many people ask for low crime areas and what does that mean to them? I am from Colorado Springs, will get back soon too. I have been there since 1994...my adult life. When I moved here to VA in Sept 09, I was glad to get away because the crime in COS was increasing. I am now in a part of the country that blows me away with crime. But those who live here don't think the crime is bad here. But numerous murders nightly accompanied with double/triple murders and superintendents who tell their HS principals to help HS students cheat on SATs and people who blackmail others and end up on payroll for 12 yrs after they left the company...I am dumbfounded. Yet, I now know that this is probably nothing compared to other places.
So please, if you want to know about crime areas in Colorado Springs and many tell you this place is great compared to other places because of crime and gangs, take a look yourself. I am not discrediting what I have suggested myself on areas of town to live...but its all relative.
If money is tight, you are starting over and build your way up, COS bad parts of town are doable compared to bad parts of town in other cities.
These maps also show registered sex offenders which, unfortunately, does not follow a crime area. They are all over and some are victims of the system and others should be blind and deaf.

Keep asking questions about the area, please, but also state where you are coming from so it can also help COS members to guide you.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:28 AM

1,742 posts, read 3,115,680 times
You've got to be kidding me.
Aurora, Colorado Springs Ranked Among The United States' Safest Cities By Forbes Magazine
I got a call from the El Paso county sheriffs office saying there's an armed guy in the neighborhood and you're supposed to stay inside and lock your doors.
Who does these "studies". ?

Old 01-02-2012, 10:33 AM

6,822 posts, read 10,510,104 times
I got that call, too, and it was scary, sure. But it is an anecdote. The crime rate in El Paso County is indeed low compared to most places of its size.

What really is getting to me is all the armed robberies/burglaries/break-ins/copper thieves - those are more 'random' than the murders and I am so mad at people who think they are entitled to just take what other people work their butts off for, and to possibly hurt people in the process. And, I think that rate has gone up - product of the slow economy, most likely. I would happily pay in taxes for double the police force to catch more of these thugs. And they're happening in every area, not just the "higher crime" areas.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:43 AM

486 posts, read 1,496,513 times
Just out of curiosity... what neighborhood do you all live in that is getting these warning calls?

Old 01-02-2012, 11:47 AM

It can be any neighborhood. It is called reverse 911 is sometimes used to alert people of a missing person or some kind of danger in their area. If you don't answer your phone, you might not get the call, because sometimes it only gives the message if you pick up the phone and press 1 or something. I've had two of these calls in my life, both in the past year, once for a missing person who sadly drowned in an irrigation ditch, and one for the kid who shot his mother this past weekend and was loose for several hours before turning himself in. Reverse 911 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-03-2012, 04:47 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,373,749 times
You can say what you want to, and I'm sure there's going to be people that defend the SE side of town, but the crime statistics maps don't lie. It's the worst part of town. And I have first hand experience. I lived in Pikes Peak Park for a year, and it was the worst year of my life. An 8 year old boy got gunned down literally 200 yards from my house, because of a gang initiation. My house was vandalized so many times I lost count (my backyard fence faced the street, and they loved to tag it, gave up painting over it), and was robbed 3 times in 2 months. I just quit locking my doors, to save myself the damage. If you're considering a move to the Springs, STAY AWAY from the areas around Fountain/Chelton, and South Circle/Monterey. By far the worst in town. They don't call it Little Juarez for nothing.

Moved up to Rockrimmon 2 years ago, and I've never felt safer. If clean, quiet, relativley crime free. Worst we get up this way is some domestic violence issues, and punk teenagers that like to smash out car windows. I will never ever move any further south than Austin Bluffs ever again.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:47 AM

FYI I do not live on the SE part of town, and I've not recommend others to, either. I have said it is the worst neighborhood in the Springs, which by comparison to some other places people are moving from isn't so bad - it is a matter of what perspective people are coming from. I also think people should not just give up on that neighborhood or any other neighborhood - neighborhoods can be saved, especially if people regard them as true neighborhoods.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:31 AM

Visitors, here is some COS lingo for understanding what is meant when referring to different parts of town:

So many newcomers easily get confused that the term southeastern Colorado Springs includes the communities of Security, Widefield, and the town of Fountain. On the map, these communities are located southeast of the actual city of Colorado Springs but these areas are not to be included in the "southeastern part of Colorado Springs," they are communities southeast of Colorado Springs. It doesn't help any that the undesirable/ stay away streets Fountain and Chelton say "Fountain" which is also the city name.

The same is true for northern part of Colorado Springs. Monument is not counted as part of northern Colorado Springs.

Northern part of Colorado Springs includes the Northgate area by USAFA, Rockrimmon, Chapel Hills Mall area, and Flying Horse (to name a few).

Black Forrest is not considered part of Colorado Springs but rather referred to as Black Forrest.

Falcon also isn't referred to as eastern Colorado Springs but as "out east in Falcon" or as an area all by itself. (way out in Falcon...lol)
Manitou isn't considered as part of western Colorado Springs.

Fort Carson butts up against southern Colorado Springs and Widefield/Fountain are on the east side of the post.

Drennan Rd and South Academy can be considered the road that divides Colorado Springs and the community of Security.

COS friends: are there any areas you would like to clarify or add for our visitors?

Last edited by Mike from back east; 01-03-2012 at 07:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs