Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 11:05 AM

90 posts, read 285,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I have a FWD with limited slip differential. It should do OK?

FWD with limited slip will cause you to go sideways.

On *flat* ground, with good snow tires, you can get through 95% of storms here with FWD or RWD. WITH GOOD SNOW TIRES.

It is the 5% that will get you. I can't tell you how many times I've been stuck behind people in their "invincible" FWD cars, stuck on a hill. Hills are the problem. If you can keep your momentum, you are OK, but as soon as you have to stop, you are stuck. Once one person stops, and everyone backs up behind them, now EVERYONE with FWD is stuck, as are the people with 4WD/AWD, unless they can squeeze around them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 04:40 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,890,380 times
Subaru+Blizzaks will be unstopable, best combo possible.

With that said, I have a Dodge Magnum R/T AWD with Firestone Winterforce tires (I didn't stud them) and it's great in the winter. I commute from Woodland Park (8,500') to Cripple Creek (9,500') 5 times a week, so I see my fair share of snow packed roads.

My wife has a Dodge Durango 4x4 with Yoko Spec-X tires (all-season) and does terrific. Just gotta know a 5,000lb+ SUV will take 2-3x longer to stop on ice if you don't have a winter tire. A winter compound tire will stop almost 2x faster than an all-season tire. Check out youtube for video demos.

If I lived down in the Springs, I wouldn't bother with winter tires. Get a all-season tire that has great reviews. The snow just doesn't stick around that long down there and they don't get that much, IMO. But if you have the money to buy an extra set of wheels and tires, go for it.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:58 PM

154 posts, read 432,071 times
For local trips we use our minivan (Honda Odyssey) with winter tires/summer tires. We have to purchase winter tires every 2 - 3 years.. because there are many days when there is no snow and the weather is mild..which means using up the tires.

For the mountains we use our 4x4 car (Honda Acura) with all-year tires (making sure they are in good condition - changing every 3 years because we drive a lot into the mountains.)

And when there is a snow blizzard - MAKE SURE TO SLOW DOWN AND TAKE IT EASY!!! or better... STAY AT HOME!!! I am never worried about me sliding... but I am always worried about other people crashing into me!!!!

One of the Subaru's Outback will be next after our minivan!!! I only heard the best. And our local Heuberger Subaru seller is the biggest Subaru seller in the nation (I hope I get a discount when I purchase my Subaru after my commercial here !

Anyway, this is a wonderful place... we only have a few really bad blizzards... and if you use common sense (and avoid the crazy drivers -meaning stay at home!lol)... you will just be fine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs