Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2011, 07:42 PM

22 posts, read 50,264 times

Advertisements

Hello again! As I am researching which neighborhood we should rent in near Ft Carson (thank you all for your input so far!) I am starting to feel frustrated. All of the neighboorhoods I like seem to be too far from Ft Carson (Briargate, Stetson Hills, etc). The D-20 schools sound great (I have a 5 y/o and 2y/o) but my husband is saying he absolutely doesn't want to go any farther out than a 30 min commute. I am looking for the best schools with the nicest neighborhood as close as possible to Ft Carson. The things I have read about Fountain/Wakefield etc have been mixed. Does anyone have any suggestions for a certain area of COS? I checked out the D12 area of Cheyenne Mtn but it doesn't look like there are many rentals in that area. We are hoping to rent for between $1100 and $1500. Thank you SO much in advance for any advice you may have to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 07:59 PM

6,825 posts, read 10,522,918 times
I personally like Widefield/Fountain/Security - the newer homes in Fountain are very popular and very close to Fort Carson. What about the central north/central downtown area like around Colorado College? I think that would still come in less than 30 minutes. Can you find anything in Broadmoor Bluffs - you can't get closer to Fort Carson than that and it is very very nice, but I don't know about the prices.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:21 AM

930 posts, read 1,655,022 times
d49 gets a bad rap, but if you go into the schools and classrooms many people are very pleased with the teachers- it's the central administration that people get frustrated with. At the HS I teach at, students like the school and the parents like it as well. I don't understand, frankly, why my school gets the rap it does. The middle school closest to you, Horizon, is gaining an excellent reputation as well.

District 11 is also a very good school district- it's just so big, you have to figure out which school you'd want to be in. Palmer is excellent, and that's downtown. That's the north/central area that otowi is talking about. The Gazette has a good feature in its data section that shows regional CSAP scores.

District 8 also has a solid reputation (I think)... I never hear anything about them, which frankly is a good thing overall. (imo)

Elementary school wise, I love Midland Elem, that's where my daughter attends (it is off 21st street, by Old Colorado City)- one of the kindergarten teachers there is so fabulous, and the school right by me, Steele, is also an excellent elementary school. Chipeta Elem, up in the Mountain Shadows area, is another well-recommended school, in district 11.

Broadmoor Bluffs is a good suggestion, as is the Skyway area, that's District 12 schools.

Personally, when I went through some searching for new homes/where we would like to move (currently we live in Old North End, and we need a bigger space), I really want my daughter to stay where she is, as her school offers French, music, PE, art, and some other school districts (district 12) do not have that stuff at the elementary level, and others do (like district 20). Speaking specifically of Midland, they have a ton of after school activities available for the kids. My daughter will be performing in their talent show- piano, which she didn't know she loved until she took music as a kindergartener!

Old 02-28-2011, 08:44 AM

3 posts, read 11,902 times
what about cheyenne meadows ???

Old 03-01-2011, 08:10 AM

1,938 posts, read 7,126,349 times
Neighborhoods that you may like:
Windmill Mesa
Sunrise Ridge
Mesa Ridge
Cross Creek
Heritage
Cumberland Greens
Countryside
High Gate Farms
Peaceful Valley
Barnstormers Landing
Cottonwood Meadows
Appletree Golf Course neighborhood

D12- try the Skyway neighborhood. I have a friend who works there. They are seen as the lowest income school in the districts...but considering it is in D12...that means nothing. Great school district and all on here would agree. BUT, correct me I am wrong, D12 does not offer bus service except for those on an IEP. Otowi, can you confirm that?

My first house was in the La Mesa Fountana neighborhood next to Heritage neighborhood. It is a small (5 streets), older neighborhood with homes (built in 70s) and very affordable in addition with a great group of families and kids that attend Mesa Elementary. Since it is so small and borders great neighborhoods, you could find a gem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs