Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2007, 10:51 PM

15 posts, read 148,517 times

Advertisements

I have enjoyed reading your comments and your initial report is very good . Unfortunatly not all of what you say is quite accurate about certain places around the country , however somethings you have hit perfectly . I am also considering a move to Colorado and agree with some of your reasons for relocating . I would like to ask ....... how long are you currently in Colorado Springs ?

Old 08-01-2007, 12:34 PM

8 posts, read 17,515 times
Thanks for the map Charles. I tell ya, this thread is so informative. I mean, opinions are subjective, but when you read them all you get a clearer picture of COS. It is hard to believe that when we moved to Prescott, AZ it was just after a few summer visits to cool off from Phoenix. Having a child makes you look at where you are moving a whole lot differently, and all of you have helped so much! Does anyone have any pictures that they want to share of COS?
Thanks again guys, keep it up!

Old 08-02-2007, 06:37 AM

1,920 posts, read 2,779,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycj View Post
Thanks for the map Charles. I tell ya, this thread is so informative. I mean, opinions are subjective, but when you read them all you get a clearer picture of COS. It is hard to believe that when we moved to Prescott, AZ it was just after a few summer visits to cool off from Phoenix. Having a child makes you look at where you are moving a whole lot differently, and all of you have helped so much! Does anyone have any pictures that they want to share of COS?
Thanks again guys, keep it up!
Look up at the top left corner of the page, look at the words City-data.com. next to the pic of the city. Click it, then click Colorado, then colorado springs. A bunch of pics are there. Its beautiful, I love the sceneery, I just could not get a sales job that paid over 30,000. If you not in sales, you might be all right.... If anyone knows of a great paying retail commission job in Co springs, let ME know.

Old 08-02-2007, 02:40 PM

3 posts, read 30,297 times
Default Falcon, Peyton, Calhan

I am also planning a move to CS. I was wondering what people think about Falcon, Peyton, Calhan, and other towns just outside of the city. I have found some ok houses (work to be done) on large lots in the low 100,000s. I would love to hear what people have to say about these areas- commute, crime, schools, etc.

Old 08-02-2007, 02:47 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acl021 View Post
I am also planning a move to CS. I was wondering what people think about Falcon, Peyton, Calhan, and other towns just outside of the city. I have found some ok houses (work to be done) on large lots in the low 100,000s. I would love to hear what people have to say about these areas- commute, crime, schools, etc.
Commute: It depends to where. In general traversing the Pikes Peak region from west to east or vice versa is tougher than north-south. So if you lived in Falcon/Peyton and worked say in Rockrimmon/I-25 you'd have to travel west in the morning. Probably 45 minutes for 20 miles.
Crime in those areas doesn't appear bad to me. Schools are OK there too, not bad. The region is really building up. Keep you eye on Super Slab developments when considering where to buy.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:15 AM

648 posts, read 2,940,385 times
I think if you are a handy person and can fix up the house, it would be good to buy out there. Also, if you don't mind the commute, depends what your line of work is.

Old 08-06-2007, 06:59 PM

25 posts, read 123,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richkat View Post
Mike - so true!! What an excellent post. As a multiple cross-country relocatee looking to move again, your post was delightfully thorough. We have used the tools you mention many times. So good to analyze just what it is you're looking for. Having gone from California to Oregon to Ohio (job transfer) to Florida, we're conflicted between the sunshine of Texas and back to the coastal but dreary Northwest but you're making Colorado look pretty good. The idea of snow has eliminated the area before but we'll have to rethink it. We're in high tech - will have to look for jobs there.

Thanks,
Kat
It generally doesn't snow that much here in CS. That's more so in the mountains. This last winter though, was an exception.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:05 PM

135 posts, read 599,942 times
Default superslab?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorearch7 View Post
Here is all the information you might need, this site gives you maps of the proposed path. It is on hold, but I think it will come some day, I live in Yoder and we are far enough south it shouldn't affect us. I hope this helps.

Front Range Toll Road or Highway Robbery?
What is this all about? I checked out the link and sorry but don't get it.

Old 08-08-2007, 07:31 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mes3fils View Post
What is this all about? I checked out the link and sorry but don't get it.
It's important to realize there are two different toll roads being considered. The one referenced above (the SuperSlab) and the Colorado Springs toll road (I think that is the name.) The latter is a proposed toll road which will start around Interquest & 25 (probably where Powers will connect with I-25 bisecting Flying Horse), down Powers to Woodmen, Woodmen east past Marksheffel then south down a new road (Banning Lewis Parkway????) continue south then heads west again until it reconnects with I-25 south of the COS airport.

Colorado Springs toll road gains momentum Colorado Springs Business Journal - Find Articles

Colorado Mulls Privately-Funded Toll Road | Planetizen

The Denver Post - Plan rings eastern Springs in toll roads

Old 08-09-2007, 04:13 PM

553 posts, read 1,635,828 times
My two cents on living in Colorado Springs:

Employment: There's a lot of defense-related employment. If you've got a security clearance, that's a plus. Medical and services jobs are plentiful. High Tech is a dry well.

Cost of Living: Housing is certainly cheaper than in most metropolitan areas. You can get a nice, suburban three or four bedroom house for around $200K. Established neighborhoods run cheaper than new homes. Other than that, pretty typical.

Crime: No more than other metropolitan areas. Violent crime rates seem to be pretty low.

Schools: Cheyenne Mountain and Academy School Districts are very good. District 11 (most of Colorado Springs) runs hot and cold. Some schools here are better than others. Palmer HS and Coronodo HS have outstanding programs.

Recreation: Outstanding system of parks. Garden of the Gods, Palmer Park, and Cheyenne Canyon Parks are incredible. Everybody thinks about skiing when they think of Colorado. Unfortunately, it's a couple hour drive to the slopes from here.

Culture: Some outstanding privately-owned restaurants. Chain restaurants like crazy. Not a lot of concerts/other arts, but Denver has them all and is only an hour away.

Sports: SkySox (the Rockies' AAA team), Air Force Football and Basketball, CC Hockey. Again, all the Denver teams not too far away.

Political Climate: Yes, there are a lot of religious institutions here in town. No, nobody is spouting fire and brimstone -- it's just there. Use it if you want to; if you don't, that's OK, too. Yes, it's a conservative Republican town. No, they won't hassle you if you're a liberal or a Democrat. The Colorado Springs Independant (local semi-underground paper) is as liberal as you can get.

Traffic: People who've lived here for over 10 years will complain about the traffic, because it's much worse than it used to be, but there's realistically no traffic at all if you're compaing it to NYC, DC, Boston, LA, Denver, etc.

Climate: Our best-kept secret. Sure it snows, but less than the New York Metropolitan area, and it can snow today and be 75 degrees tomorrow. It can also be shirt-sleeve weather even in January.

I've lived in New York, New Jersey, North Dakota, California, Texas, and Colorado. I chose Colorado Springs as my home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs