Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 09:09 PM

20 posts, read 58,816 times

Advertisements

Sesamekid, In my bits and pieces of checking that out you put it in very good prospective for me. I am looking for maybe 2 or 3 acreas enough to have a "Indoor pigeon rehab loft" where pigeons that can't be released because of broken wings or feet and other problems will be able to be taken care of or place in adoptive homes...I just love pigeons--all kinds--and would work with non profits and vet's and maybe wildlife etc etc---licenses and fees and rules...etc etc...in order to do this and set something up like this--just a hobby and a dream---but need to find a location first that is not incorporated or city zoning to put a damper on all of this--rules rules rules---where is freedom ??? So that's why I am looking at different areas and which one would be the best for me and my birdies...and I appreciate the information you have offered as well as the other people who suggested things on this thread...I am looking and have two real estate people looking as well..I will keep you updated....Thank you once again....flossey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 05:03 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sesamekid View Post
I don't know anything about purchasing water... I live within city limits and so I have city water & sewer.

I do know that some ranches to the north and west have to purchase & haul water. Are you looking for acreage? or something in town? It is actually possible to have some acreage IN town - especially in the Lincoln Park area which is the south part of Canon City (south of the Arkansas River & hwy 50)

However, the problem with Lincoln Park is that it has been declared a Federal Superfund site which means the area (soil & ground water) was contaminated by waste from the nearby Uranium processing mill. There has been a cleanup going on for many years. I believe there is another thread that goes into detail about the Superfund site and how it affects the Lincoln Park area of Canon City.

Oddly enough, properties in Lincoln Park are some of the most sought after in Canon City and they often sell quickly. It is a very picturesque area with lots of fruit orchards, horse pastures and panoramic views of the mountains. It's a crying shame that the Uranium mill had to be built so close by. But it doesn't seem to bother people who live there.

The rest of Canon City is not included in the Federal Superfund site.
More bad news today for parts of Canon City. Seems that they used trichloroethene (TCE) to clean up PCB's, and now the TCE is contaminating things. Story at the Gazette.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:01 AM

486 posts, read 1,497,126 times
Cotter Corporation is like a cancer in Canon City.

It never ceases to amaze me how much power and free reign they have to do what they wish in order to make money - at the cost of local residents and our health.

Cotter spent the better part of the last decade undertaking this huge PR campaign to "educate" the public on how it was good for them to have a Uranium processing mill in town. They portrayed anyone who was opposed to Cotter as ignorant and uninformed.

I think a lot of people around here bought into it. There is a group - Citizens Against Toxic Waste - who have organized against Cotter but they seem to always be dismissed as environmentalist fringe dwellers.

Where is our Erin Brokovich when we need her?!

Old 04-11-2011, 10:37 AM

486 posts, read 1,497,126 times
I should also mention that the local Chamber of Commerce worked in conjunction with Cotter Corp's public relations campaign. They sent out monthly newsletters with a whole section devoted to how great Cotter was - typically in a Q & A format with the question usually being something along the lines of: "Is Cotter bad for my health?" and a long involved answer about how good Cotter was for the health of the local economy, and hence, the citizens.
They even had these cute cartoon characters that made Cotter seem all warm & fuzzy and Sponge-Bob-y.

Things that make you go hmmmmmm.......

Old 04-11-2011, 11:40 AM

1,742 posts, read 3,116,799 times
See Issues at Cañon City uranium mill (Colorado)
RP

Old 04-17-2011, 03:59 PM

2 posts, read 3,151 times
I was just there about two days ago, and ya backwater-ish is pretty good. There nothing there really.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:14 PM

5 posts, read 9,534 times
Its only a small section of the south part of Lincoln Park that is near Cotter. And not really a problem for the residents. Cisterns are generally needed between Canon City and Penrose, an in some of the outlying ranch areas. A real variety in real estate here. We have a little Victorian house and enjoy that change from SE Aurora. Lots to do here and friendly people. And I love having NO freeways!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs