Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2010, 07:05 AM

930 posts, read 1,654,557 times

Advertisements

I agree! For the most part, you can go hiking/enjoy nature for free. It's awesome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 08:50 AM

32 posts, read 73,974 times
"if you have any health conditions which cause you pain, skin or breathing problems, don't move here. The mix of the high altitude and dry air make those ailments miserable.[/quote]"

Is this previous post true? There seems to be a lot of healthy people in CO, and a lot of seniors here. Do any of you find health issues are worse here than other places you've lived?

Old 11-12-2010, 11:25 AM

You see a lot more people with oxygen tanks here, babies are born more with jaundice because of the higher altitude, many babies are sent home with oxygen tanks to help with the oxygen saturation...

It's pretty dry here as well, but I rarely put on moisturizer and don't have cracking skin like some people seem to. Only when it's extremely dry over a long period of time, maybe once or twice a year.

I would put the word "severe" on that previous post. Yes people here are healthy on average, but that's more because of the lifestyles that are promoted, which is really awesome. Encourages others to go out and do things as well! The climate is mild enough that people aren't stuck inside watching TV all the time.

I personally feel that you will find health aliments in a lot of areas- in the south the heat and humidity is awful, I'd trade that for the cooler, dry air up here in a heartbeat. Whatever your ailment may be, see what climate is best for it, and then come to visit for a week. That'll help.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:18 PM

47 posts, read 145,676 times
I have pretty severe eczema, and get dry and cracking skin. As long as I use the Eucerin products I am just fine here. If you have skin problems, you will need to really pay attention to moisturizing.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:49 PM

Skin problems can be dealt with, it's lungs and hearts I wonder about. I'm 59, so starting to think about these things now. LOL
I've heard mixed studies about heart-health here---some say hearts are healthier because they have to work harder here (altitude), and some say the same working-harder part creates heart strain. But I just met someone who is 70 and still hikes 14ers.
But I also see a LOT of oxygen tanks in CO, now that I think about it! LOL

Old 11-12-2010, 07:38 PM

I think it probably has to do with any pre-existing conditions, and also what specific condition is affecting the body.

Old 11-13-2010, 08:45 AM

50,807 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chamisa007 View Post
Skin problems can be dealt with, it's lungs and hearts I wonder about. I'm 59, so starting to think about these things now. LOL
I've heard mixed studies about heart-health here---some say hearts are healthier because they have to work harder here (altitude), and some say the same working-harder part creates heart strain. But I just met someone who is 70 and still hikes 14ers.
But I also see a LOT of oxygen tanks in CO, now that I think about it! LOL
When I got here...from sea level...in June I started having high blood pressure problems far in excess of what I had previously. I went to three doctors and all told me that the only people who really get in trouble are those with severe heart or lung problems, and that everyone else adjusted over time. I questioned more, and all three doctors said that they had never had a patient who had moved here and had any long-term problems. And in my case, although it took 3 months, my blood pressure is back down to what was normal for me.

Now, are those 3 doctors 100% correct? I can't say...but I hope so!

I will say that I have a number of older, also retired, friends who want to come out and visit, and I have advised them to see their physicians first to make sure they will be able to take the altitude.

Old 11-13-2010, 04:28 PM

Thanks phetaroi--good news to hear!

Old 11-15-2010, 09:27 AM

641 posts, read 2,276,714 times
The altitude can affect people in many different ways.

Keep in mind Colorado Springs was originally established as a resort type community for people with health problems. People often came to Colorado from around the country for tuberculosis treatment. It was thought that the clean, dry air was good for clearing up the lungs.

My best friend's folks are both seniors and have absolutely no problems when visiting CO from their home in Arizona, however a trip across the stateline into Wyoming, and my buddy's Dad has oxygen saturation problems. In Cheyenne, his blood oxygen levels get really thin. He comes back from WY, into Denver, and he's fine. I think the elevation in Cheyenne is higher than Denver.

I think its difficult to tell how it might affect a person until they're actually here.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:14 AM

727 posts, read 1,366,178 times
My wife and I moved to COS about 6 weeks ago. I have mild hypertension and take low dose lisinopril for it. Haven't had any issue whatsoever with blood pressure thus far. My blood pressure readings are the same as they were in NoVA (maybe that says something about NoVA, more so than here). As for acclimating, I was very active in sports (Open level 60+ age group in racquetball in VA) before moving here. Gave myself a month to slowly acclimate, and I still feel it a bit. If I take a flight of stairs at a quick pace, I 'm still a little out of breath, but only for a couple of seconds (only enough to make me think about it). On the other hand, I was carrying heavy boxes of books and other items up and down stairs the day after we moved in, and survived. I'm about to ratchet up the activity level a couple of notches and get into "Colorado shape'. Haven't played racquetball yet, as I want to build up some endurance first. But it's coming... Bottom line, from what I've read on these posts, the problem appears to be a very personal thing. If you're in good physical shape when you get here, you probably won't be affected that much, at least not in your day to day activities (but take it easy at first). If you have some medical conditions or are otherwise out of shape, it'll probably take longer (and of course, see a doctor before doing something stupid!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs