Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 12:50 AM

539 posts, read 393,919 times

Advertisements

DH recently retired. I work in IT and although I prefer going into the office, I could work remotely. Knowing that DH would be retiring we seriously looked at Colorado Springs as a possible place to relocate too. The main pluses were a reasonable sized city with some cultural amenities, nice climate, mountains nearby, and a seemingly reasonable cost of living (portable job, so the fact that jobs in my field pay less than what I am currently making was not a factor). We used to live in Denver back in the late 80s and loved living there (climate and mountain access). Jobs took us elsewhere, though. And we ruled Denver out as a place to go back too -- too expensive now and increased traffic in area and to mountains decreases the appeal too. Denver was out, but maybe the nearby, smaller, and nice city of COS could be the place?

What I saw as negatives when we looked around were: even though the summers are way more pleasant than where we currently live, it was still hotter than I like in COS with some humidity too, too many people moving to the area (a new popular in place to move too) driving up real estate prices and multiple offers on reasonable homes that seemed nice -- it looked like it would be a real pain to find and buy a home in COS, lots of housing in our price range seemed way too cookie cutter(new housing and newer areas in particular), not many trees except in older areas that were pricey (new city, so not a lot of older areas), too much pot smoking around even though not legal in the city, not all that keen about it being a center for the religious right (although maybe we would never even notice that), although decent cultural amenities - less than what we currently have.

All and all, our conclusion was that COS looked like a perfectly nice place and that if a job or being closer to family or something like that was what we were moving for, we wouldn't hesitate. We though didn't have a job or family out there that we wanted to be near, and our overall conclusion after looking at COS and some other places was that where we currently live is pretty darn nice and the grass doesn't for us now and where we are currently in our lives look greener elsewhere. Looking around for me just gave me a greater appreciation for what I currently have and was really taking for granted. Maybe we might make a move some day, but it's not something that we are trying to make happen or actively pursing now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs