Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 07:11 PM

25 posts, read 123,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnb2 View Post
My pet peeve is people who illegally ride motorcycles on the bike paths. What's the point of having laws if they don't get enforced?
I don't like people abedding the left lane on the Interstate, but that doesn't get enforced either. There are a lot more people abedding the left lane then people riddling motorcycles on hiking trails, so I wouldn't hold my breath.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azimuth View Post
I agree with everything, but there is one point you missed. Many IT corps are "off-shoring" up to 80% of their employees, i.e. giving our jobs to guys in India, etc (many are aiming for 80/20). I am amazed at how little outcry there has been over this, and IT markets like the Springs are being hit pretty bad. Keep a stiff upper lip, and have you tried Verizon? They "off-shore" less than some....
Wrong, I got laid from Verizon after working there for 6 years. My work was offshored to the Dominican Republic. Also Verizon sucks, just ask anyone who worked there. Once VZ took over MCI, they started offshoring everything.

Old 08-10-2007, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newintha719 View Post
I think people are really exaggerating the concervitive presence here, i been livin here for almost 4 months and I dnt feel its that bad and I'm from MLPS, I do live on the SE side of town and I kno its supose to be the "hood" so maybe its worse up north, I do see the difference with seas of new houses and middle to upper class families but deffinately dont get the feelin morninglory has
Bodabing, another person who speaks the truth...thanks!

Old 08-10-2007, 08:34 PM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,618,984 times
Guys, please settle down, you can express your opinions without resorting to bad language or attacking others.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:44 PM

638 posts, read 2,280,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolColoradoDayz View Post
Wrong, I got laid from Verizon after working there for 6 years. My work was offshored to the Dominican Republic. Also Verizon sucks, just ask anyone who worked there. Once VZ took over MCI, they started offshoring everything.
You call yourself a liberal? Seems you hate everybody who points out liberals arent very welcome here! Even my friends in England are aware of the Springs' reputation as a right wing haven. Verizon doesnt have nearly as much overseas as many of these IT corps do although they have an unfortunate number of Indians on those Visas for supposed "no american qualifies"

I dont know why you are so po'd that your city is what it is, at least I admit its not to my taste and want to leave. YOu on the other hand try to pretend that it is what it isnt. Maybe all your years here have afforded you time to create an isolation bubble, and make friends, but for a new person who is used to more liberal ideologies it is a serious slap in the face. My anti -Bush sticker is the only one I have seen.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:52 PM

638 posts, read 2,280,260 times
Default Never knew military towns were right wing

[quote=CoolColoradoDayz;1239001]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningGlory View Post
Would it occur to most Americans that COSP is so right wing and religious? QUOTE]

Well if I was looking at a strange city and the city was largely built off of the military historical and currently there are 5 military bases in town, hmmm, I might think....conservative. Conservative = right wing.
If I had lived in a military town for many years it would be obvious. Obviously it was not obvious to me, else I wouldnt have moved here. Never knew a thing about military towns and as I have stated in other posts it never occurred to me that any town in Colorado could be so radically different from Denver.

I am truly apologetic that my posts might have offended you. But I feel that if I had known what it was like here I would not have dealt with years of being isolated and feeling like I lived a planet where I was the only liberal/progressive. It costs a fortune to move, and we are doing that because we feel so strongly about the politics. I cant live where I feel everyone I see at Kohl's is probably wondering why I wear sterling silver and not gold. Why is my child the only vegetarian in his entire school? That is just wacked to me. Like I said,I am trying to save others the pain. I sincerely hope for you that more liberals move here to balance things out, but life is short, too short to waste living where you feel as if you live on an island. I WISH I knew more progressives, maybe then I could hang out and enjoy my luscious noise-free 1-acre lot that I always wanted.

Last edited by MorningGlory; 08-11-2007 at 12:05 AM.. Reason: didnt explain myself well enough, and tired of arguing

Old 08-11-2007, 08:38 AM

135 posts, read 599,837 times
[quote=MorningGlory;1256012]
Quote:

I cant live where I feel everyone I see at Kohl's is probably wondering why I wear sterling silver and not gold. Why is my child the only vegetarian in his entire school? That is just wacked to me. Like I said,I am trying to save others the pain.
Seriously. Why would you care or let it bother you if you're the only one at Kohl's 'wearing sterling silver'? If I were in Kohl's, I'd be the second one there wearing it! WHO CARES WHAT OTHERS THINK? And so what if your kid is the only vegetarian at his school? Anyway, how do you know he's the only one? If he is, what is the big deal?

Where are you relocating to? Just curious. You should move to S. Florida.

Old 08-11-2007, 09:01 AM

77 posts, read 305,402 times
@MorningGlory

I have to agree with most of the other ones: I don't know where you just hang around to make such experiences!
I've joined a Mommys/Playgroup here motnhs ago. We are 50 members and not ONCE has anyone talked about church and Jesus, unless we were only a few and the topic somehow came up. But surprisingly those talks were very anti-religiouses...like no sign of fanatics or crazy worshippers whatsoever. more like people that even question some of the relgiouse thoughts these days. Gosh, I was even able to pass on a copy of "conversations with God" to one of the Moms (which is my best friend and had asked for it..and this book is just as "liberal" as it can get..has nothing to do with relgion).
I am german, was raised catholic...but do not consider myself catholic...I do not visit any church...have ever in the states and NO ONE ever took offense in that and tried to drag me to one.
Guess since, I am from Europe, I am VERY liberal...love the democrats..don't like bush. We are not in the military, most of the moms in my group are. My husband is mexican.
I've been reading in this forum before we moved here, and statements like yours, made me really afraid and worried to a point, where I called a friend that lived here and asked about that. She said she has never experienced anything like that. And guess what? Neither have I! So I think, untruthful things like that shouldn't be posted here over and over again, since they can really scare people and are just not true!

Old 08-11-2007, 10:22 AM

87 posts, read 147,099 times
MorningGlory, I think you have yet to wake up this morning or something, because you have to be dreaming thease things up, or your just tryna talk down on this town for kicks, becuase almost everything you said is bs and childish. Your makin this liberal thing sound like a gang or ethnicity, you are a human! And I think you are the only one that cares your kid is the only veggitarian, or that your the only one wearing silver LOL! You most be hangin out in front of churches or something to make thease statments so why dnt you go to a resturant or a club so all the brain washed religious people can leave you alone.

Old 08-11-2007, 06:01 PM

964 posts, read 2,647,079 times
Quote:
DNB21, I'll save the restaurant guide for you, that's not my thing. It's like this, I'm about the truth. I don't care if you express your opinion, but when you come facts, you best come correct. Two lies that she spouted off about were the crime and her downtown experience. She said that there was high crime in pockets of this town. Simply a lie! Then she went on to make a statement that she could not even take her kid to downtown restaurants because of neenie, neenie, yada, yada, and the restaurants are so smoky. Well, that's a plain lie because we have a smoking ordinance, you can't smoke in public indoor establishments. So if you can't get two basic stories straight (particularly the smoking) and your propgating them to everyone as if this is your experience. Then how credible can one be or anything else they say?
Ok, CoolColoradoDayz, then what is your thing? Accusing people of lying and propagating your sarcastic, negative, and defensive attitude on a forum that is supposed to be about allowing others to express their opinions without fear of being vehemently attacked? Oh, and by the way, maybe you should get YOUR facts straight. I never said anything about crime pockets or crime levels in CS. And yes, maybe my assessment was a bit harsh. However, both my husband and I have worked very hard for what we have, so what's wrong with expecting a little more from the city you have to live in!
Call it snobby or whatever you want, but reality is reality and I think there are definitely quite a few parts of the Springs that could use some major renovation. And yes, I agree there are cities which are much worse in terms of crime and being run down, however, there are cities which are much nicer as well. I was just expressing my opinion which may not be totally accurate as I have only lived here a year. There may be a lot I have not yet seen or experienced here yet. Again, this IS a thread that is supposed to shed light on the negatives of CS. If you are going to be offended every time someone points out something wrong with the city, or something they do not like, than maybe you should just stick to the threads that point out only the positives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs