Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2019, 04:12 AM

7,190 posts, read 9,327,431 times

Advertisements

https://gazette.com/education/academ...e2553fb0e.html

"Academy School District 20 opened enrollment this week for tuition-free, full-day kindergarten beginning in August, deciding not to wait on Colorado lawmakers who are considering funding it statewide.

The Pikes Peak region’s second-largest district — one of few local districts to charge parents for all-day kindergarten — has been weighing the idea for a while, Chief Financial Officer Tom Gregory said.

“It’s been a longtime goal, and now with interest at the state level, it seemed like the perfect time,” he said. “Everything is pointing in the same direction, and it’s the right thing to do for kids.”"

I like this idea. Supporting education is the right thing to do.

Now if only we could go back to the values we had in the 60s that provided essentially tuition free college.

For example, in 1967 the tuition at the University of Arizona college of engineering was just $90 per semester. I suspect CU Boulder tuition was similar. Cal Berkeley was free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2019, 06:01 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,197,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
https://gazette.com/education/academ...e2553fb0e.html

"Academy School District 20 opened enrollment this week for tuition-free, full-day kindergarten beginning in August, deciding not to wait on Colorado lawmakers who are considering funding it statewide.

The Pikes Peak region’s second-largest district — one of few local districts to charge parents for all-day kindergarten — has been weighing the idea for a while, Chief Financial Officer Tom Gregory said.

“It’s been a longtime goal, and now with interest at the state level, it seemed like the perfect time,” he said. “Everything is pointing in the same direction, and it’s the right thing to do for kids.”"

I like this idea. Supporting education is the right thing to do.

Now if only we could go back to the values we had in the 60s that provided essentially tuition free college.

For example, in 1967 the tuition at the University of Arizona college of engineering was just $90 per semester. I suspect CU Boulder tuition was similar. Cal Berkeley was free.
Maybe this is related to people wanting more "free stuff" like all-day childcare (a.k.a. kindergarten):

https://gazette.com/business/colorad...835c9b9d9.html

Last edited by LHS79; 04-18-2019 at 06:27 AM..

Old 04-18-2019, 07:24 AM

6,825 posts, read 10,527,026 times
I think some of the other local districts already do - I think D11 already does. I think while it is a good idea it is also about marketing. Schools are always in a fight to try to get funding.

Old 04-18-2019, 07:37 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,394,489 times
My kids had free, full day kindergarten in D11 a dozen years ago.

I guess the whole, "free" things trips me up. Its public education provided through public districts supported through the tax base. These teachers are already being paid salary whether its for half day service or full day service because they are there all day already supporting the morning or afternoon classes.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
My kids had free, full day kindergarten in D11 a dozen years ago.

I guess the whole, "free" things trips me up. Its public education provided through public districts supported through the tax base. These teachers are already being paid salary whether its for half day service or full day service because they are there all day already supporting the morning or afternoon classes.
Well - if a teacher has half-day kindergarten, they can have two classes of, let's say, 25 students. If they teach full-day kindergarten, they can have one class of 25 students - not one class of 50. So, the district has to pay for another kindergarten teacher and the facilities/space of a second concurrent class. It is more expensive for the district to offer full-day kindergarten. It typically means fewer teachers and larger class sizes at some other grade level to fund the kindergarten position.

Old 04-18-2019, 12:49 PM

26,220 posts, read 49,066,237 times
The kids are worth it. All of them.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-18-2019, 06:33 PM

1,013 posts, read 978,755 times
Is full day a proven educational benefit? Or is it basically daycare?

Old 04-18-2019, 08:13 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,602,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
I think some of the other local districts already do - I think D11 already does. I think while it is a good idea it is also about marketing. Schools are always in a fight to try to get funding.
Yes, they've had it for several years. D49 has had it for seven years. The first year of free K is currently in 6th grade. If one looks at the number of students in the current sixth grade class at all of the d49 middle schools, you will see a huge bubble. The number of current fifth graders is SIGNIFICANTLY smaller. (last year my school had 7 sections of 5th grade, this year we have 4).

So what happened? People saw that there was free full day kindergarten and put their children in without regard to whether the child was ready for it or not. We had 4 year olds, yes 4 year olds in kindergarten. Some weren't fully potty trained.

What did that mean to classrooms? Every single year, teachers said, "what a difference between the previous year and this one?!?" and not for the better! It wasn't until they realized that they had the students that had began kindergarten earlier than if parents had to pay for full day.

I'm not well conversed in test scores to see if that class of children were better off or not.

BUT, I will say, many parents would choice their children into schools that had free kindergarten and then go back to their neighborhood schools for first grade, all because the families wanted "free daycare."

Old 04-18-2019, 08:14 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,602,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
The kids are worth it. All of them.
True, and it is about time that free kindergarten is universal in Colorado. But the first year there were lots of growing pains.

Old 04-19-2019, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDog View Post
Is full day a proven educational benefit? Or is it basically daycare?
I think the evidence is mixed - kind of depends on priorities. Some populations of students do show academic improvement at least for a few years as a result of full day kindergarten. Those effects tend to fade out in upper grades. And the emphasize on academics in kindergarten is controversial in itself - there are questions about the developmental appropriateness of what the standards and testing movement has done to kindergarten (and many other grades as well, but especially so for kindergarten). Internationally, there is some evidence that waiting until later for academics is better in the long run - there are countries who don't start teaching reading until age 7 or 8 and kids do very well academically in comparison to U.S. in some metrics. So I'd say one can find some evidence of positives, but it all comes down to what one thinks kindergarten should be like.

I do think there is a day care aspect to it - parents struggle with paying for a place for their kid if they work or struggle with not being able to work because of the cost of day care, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs