Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2011, 03:35 AM

28 posts, read 51,407 times

Advertisements

Good Day All,

After 22 years in the Mid-East, we are looking forward to returning to the U.S.

Having narrowed our choice to Colorado, we are finding it difficult deciding on CS or FC. We also looked at Boulder, as they seem to fit the liberal side of us, after being in a sea of conservatism for a long period. However, it just feels too expensive in this new economic era. I should add I'm retired and thankfully don't have to look for work in this environment.

The outlying neighborhoods appeal to me, Monument, Woodmoor, Black Forest. I get a sense that it would be possible for more space, but priority #1 is high schools.

If anyone has an opinion about schools in these areas or other areas of CS and any comparison between CS and FC it would be much appreciated! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 06:20 AM

6,822 posts, read 10,510,104 times
High schools are generally good here. Which one to recommend would depend on what you're looking for.
I haven't been to FC for awhile, but I went to school there. It is a college town. Smaller than CS. Other than the students, most people there tend to be upper middle class or higher, while there is more of a full spectrum in CS. I think the scenery it prettier in CS, but both are nice.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:43 AM

55 posts, read 120,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
High schools are generally good here. Which one to recommend would depend on what you're looking for.
I haven't been to FC for awhile, but I went to school there. It is a college town. Smaller than CS. Other than the students, most people there tend to be upper middle class or higher, while there is more of a full spectrum in CS. I think the scenery it prettier in CS, but both are nice.

what full spectrum. everyone in cs is military. it is a town of anonymous suburban lifestyle. to me everyone is mostly white with a crew cut that doesn't want to pay taxes.

i feel like one of very few ethnic, private industry, young professionals. every young person is in a branch of the military. every old person is a military retiree.

personally, i would go denver or denver suburbs in colorado. everything is convenient: airport, job diversity, good parks and trails, big events, close drive to ethnic enclaves, foreign films, and as long as you live near your job, not a bad commute at all. and for a big city, it is not overcrowded, decent traffic, moderately progressive, low crime, and very affordable.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:44 AM

1,225 posts, read 4,920,312 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by poina View Post
Good Day All,

The outlying neighborhoods appeal to me, Monument, Woodmoor, Black Forest. I get a sense that it would be possible for more space, but priority #1 is high schools.

If anyone has an opinion about schools in these areas or other areas of CS and any comparison between CS and FC it would be much appreciated! Thanks
Monument has 2 high schools> Lewis-Palmer and Palmer Ridge. Both are top rated by GreatSchools.com. District 38 does have financial problems, but seems to be getting by without cutting services such as music or bus service. We live in Woodmoor North so our daughter will attend Palmer Ridge in 3 years. Woodmoor South is within Lewis-Palmer boundries.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:50 AM

2,185 posts, read 5,011,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo98 View Post
what full spectrum. everyone in cs is military. it is a town of anonymous suburban lifestyle. to me everyone is mostly white with a crew cut that doesn't want to pay taxes.

i feel like one of very few ethnic, private industry, young professionals. every young person is in a branch of the military. every old person is a military retiree.

personally, i would go denver or denver suburbs in colorado. everything is convenient: airport, job diversity, good parks and trails, big events, close drive to ethnic enclaves, foreign films, and as long as you live near your job, not a bad commute at all. and for a big city, it is not overcrowded, decent traffic, moderately progressive, low crime, and very affordable.

With the exception of the military, I thought Colorado Springs was mostly Californian and Texan transplants. Used to be a nice place. I would avoid moving there.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:08 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times
OP, just flip a coin. You can't miss with either of these two cities!

Old 05-18-2011, 01:26 PM

727 posts, read 1,365,714 times
There's no question that CS is a very politically conservative town, as witnessed by our just completed mayoral election. The conservative candidate (supported by outside TV ads by the ultra conservative Koch brothers' Americans for Prosperity) took 57% of the vote vs 43% for the independent/moderate/liberal (depending on who you talk to). This is comparable to the 60/40 split for the Republicans in the last presidential election. CS is also socially conservative, but a lot of that appears to be in the background or of less influence in recent years (Focus on the Family is headquartered here, as well as a number of large religious right churches). As Cupcake noted, there is a very strong military presence, which adds to the conservative vibe and a very strong anti-tax of any kind philosophy.

Boulder is definitely the liberal center in the state, but very expensive, followed by Denver. Can't speak to Fort Collins.

All that said, my wife and I moved chose Colorado Springs as our retirement destination last fall, and haven't been disappointed, though we are moderate to liberal, politically and socially. We live in a liberal leaning area (Old North End; downtown, just north of Colorado College), so it's not hard to find kindred souls. There are plenty of other outlets for our leanings, but we accept that we're in an uphill battle most of the time. We've had no overt confrontations over politics or religion or other controversial social issues. People here are friendly and civil. There's a definite live and let live philosophy here, or at least that's what we've found so far.

Check responses on my earlier thread titled: Can a moderate to liberal couple find happiness in Colorado Springs?

Old 05-18-2011, 02:26 PM

1,453 posts, read 1,857,008 times
Please don't listen to people who say "everybody" is military, or conservative, or whatever. There is a good mix here, it's just that some groups have louder voices than others. You'll find what you want, whatever town you choose to live in. Ft. Collins is nice, but it is more of a college town, and IMHO, I don't think it's as pretty up there as it is in the Springs, though I could be biased. As Carrera32 says, it has worked out just fine for them. And every old person is definitely NOT retired military ... not that there's anything wrong with that.

Old 05-18-2011, 04:36 PM

930 posts, read 1,653,895 times
It's funny, I'm the only Texas transplant (if you count the last place I lived, I was born in WY but for years considered myself a Chicagoan) I know, and the two families I knew from California- one moved back years ago, the other planning to move back... I've never really noticed the vibe of cultural conservativism, I don't quite get all the comments (ever) about the huge military complex here, save the turnaround I get from the students I teach, I just don't see and haven't experienced this vibe that people continually try to express about the Springs. I have lived on the westside, down near Ft. Carson, live currently downtown, and work out east, so I consider myself fairly well acquainted with the area.

but what do I know, I've only lived here for ten years Maybe I don't hang out enough around town, I just live here.

I like what mtngigi says
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs