Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2011, 10:18 PM

74 posts, read 255,764 times

Advertisements

We have been searching in the Southwest/Manitou area for a home, but I recently came across Black Forest. I am very confused by it because the median household income is more than double that of Manitou and the home prices are a bit higher, however, there appears to be lots of inexpensive land as well as some decently priced homes on acreage. What is the deal? I am imagining that the inexpensive land and homes are the equivalent of the homes up Ute Pass in this area and are just far removed and hard to get to. Can anyone enlighten me on this area? I'm very curious... Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 12:17 AM

310 posts, read 1,245,966 times
Hi. Black Forest is twenty miles away from Manitou. It's way up out east and is this big area of large lots and land with a very sparse population. The roads are these channels cut through the forest that go on forever and have names like "Roller Coaster."

Black Forest is rich with rancher, conservative, and maybe some wealthy artist types.
Manitou, by comparison is an overcrowded, artsy thing up the pass towards Woodland Park and has a vibrant if small culture with a lot of tourism. Only three or four tourists per decade in Black Forest.

Black Forest is a huge forest at a high altitude out on the start of the great plains. The wind blows a lot there.

Manitou is hillier than Switzerland and is all nestled and stuff. It's cool, crowded and touristy with a very hippy feel. My ex co-worker warned me that Manitou had a lot of "voodoo" goin on. I dunno.

My advice? Know what kind of atmosphere you want, look for that, and go for it. Live and learn.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:18 AM

6,813 posts, read 10,508,707 times
Black Forest is further east, lower, flatter, heading onto plains, and not in the "mountains" per se, but much of it is treed with pines, firs, etc. Ute Pass is actual mountain and real estate is more scarce, generally speaking, in the actual mountains - at least that is my perception. The feel of the two areas is completely different, both in terrain and in people.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:48 AM

310 posts, read 1,245,966 times
Yup.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:46 AM

2,140 posts, read 6,466,277 times
Also the weather is worse in Black Forest, for sure. There is acreage there, tho, and prolly some good deals. I have conflicted views on it: if you have trees, then it colder and icier in the winter, if you don't, then you might as well be in Falcon/Calhoun etc, where it is cheaper.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:16 AM

1,225 posts, read 4,920,312 times
Here's a couple of pictures. Ute Pass is confined to a relatively small area. The lots are very hilly with steep roads. The sun disappears early. Black Forest is relatively flat. The lots are generally 5 acres+. Good place for horses.

Below> Ute Pass

Old 06-23-2011, 01:33 PM

74 posts, read 255,764 times
vprpilot, did you take those pics? very nice.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:33 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,920,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer33ny View Post
vprpilot, did you take those pics? very nice.
Yep. Left hand on stick and clickin away with right hand. Thanks for the kudos. Hope it helps you.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:14 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,568,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrpilot View Post
Yep. Left hand on stick and clickin away with right hand. Thanks for the kudos. Hope it helps you.
I was going to say, "Put your hands back on the wheel!" Those pics remind me of when I flew with my son-in-law from the AFA airport, out to Meadow Lake, did a touch and go, then up over Black Forest, and back to the AFA. This was while he was still a cadet. Now he flies C-17's out of the NATO base in Hungary.

Later he flew my husband and me around Mesa Verde and Hovenweep from Cortez, and then on to the Grand Canyon. The heat wind from the desert was hard to maneuver through, and was little fear inducing. We then went on from Grand Canyon to Page for a couple of days and finally down to Marana, AZ. He's also flown us over Mobile Bay from Fair Hope, around the Bay and back to Coastal Airport near Pensacola. All these flights were in a Cessna. I just loved it. I loved your pictures!!

Old 06-24-2011, 03:44 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,187,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
Now he flies C-17's out of the NATO base in Hungary.
opsec, opsec, opsec...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs