Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 08:40 PM

14 posts, read 31,177 times

Advertisements

We are a military family with 2 kids in K-6. We are finding it difficult to weed out the information regarding D-49 vs. D-20. Can anyone please share opinion or info regarding this innovation initiative and whether or not people are running scared from D-49? We were looking at Woodman Hills and Meridian Ranch. Very fearful we will buy a house in a declining area or district. Thanks in advance for any feedback you may have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 10:34 PM

6,824 posts, read 10,518,651 times
Yes, some people are, but others are happy with D-49 for their kids. It is hard to say how things will shake out in the long run, but I'm the type of person that if I were buying right now I would put D49 a little lower on my list because of the possible impact of the drama on property values, etc. That doesn't mean there isn't a lot to like about it - plenty of people love it.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:34 PM

346 posts, read 549,494 times
We are a retired military family who moved to District 49 (we rent a home in Woodmen Hills) and much as we love the Falcon area we have decided, thanks to the school district, that we will not be buying a home here next year. Woodmen Hills Elementary School is just okay (my almost 5th grader has been lobbying to be home schooled all summer instead of going back, which has never happened before) and Falcon Middle school is quite good. That being said, I hate the way the D49 board does business (the way they handled the whole busing issue this last year is just one example) and I think the education initiative plan they are working on could blow up in their faces. We are looking in homes in District 20 and District 38 (out in the Monument area); I feel confident my girls will get an excellent education and the home we buy will be more likely to hold its value (and sell faster when the time comes). There are houses for sale all over my neighbourhood and nothing is moving so there are some bargains out here but I'd rather spend more and know my girls will be getting a great education.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:08 PM

14 posts, read 31,177 times
I think you've hit the nail on the head! I could get a great deal in D49 BUT its a gamble. I think that b/c of whats going on in D49 I'm not seeing the recession/downturn in the economy impact prices as much in D20 b/c people are really desiring the area and are willing to pay the money. So, we take the hit when we sell our current home but in order to make even a lateral move we'd have to go to D49 b/c in D20 prices seem to be a bit more stable or still high. Are you feeling the same way about pricing or am I drawing conclusions that really aren't true? Also, if my husband is at Peterson what's the drive like from Monument? Thanks so much for the discussion.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:24 AM

598 posts, read 1,546,793 times
I have two daughters in D49...(Vista Ridge HS Senior & Skyview Middle School 8th grader).

I, along with my daughters, are very happy with D49.
My oldest is a 4.0 student, scored a 32 on her ACT and has offers to litterally hundreds of universities. My youngest is a straight "A" student and couldn't be happier.

I have a great relationship with the teachers and do what I can as a parent to keep my girls motivated and on a path to success. D49 has done a great job in educating my girls...I have no plans to move out of the district.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:48 PM

346 posts, read 549,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1doglover View Post
I think you've hit the nail on the head! I could get a great deal in D49 BUT its a gamble. I think that b/c of whats going on in D49 I'm not seeing the recession/downturn in the economy impact prices as much in D20 b/c people are really desiring the area and are willing to pay the money. So, we take the hit when we sell our current home but in order to make even a lateral move we'd have to go to D49 b/c in D20 prices seem to be a bit more stable or still high. Are you feeling the same way about pricing or am I drawing conclusions that really aren't true? Also, if my husband is at Peterson what's the drive like from Monument? Thanks so much for the discussion.
Prices are generally lower in Falcon than in COS proper and I think the whole school bus issue is depressing them even more. When I went into the D49 transportation office today to make my deposit and pick up the girls' bus passes we were talking and I mentioned we would be leaving the district after this year and the ladies who work there said they are hearing a lot of that and from what they have seen D49 has lost a lot of families already. (One of them actually said, "It's a shame the Board doesn't care.")

As I said before, I don't have an issue with the D49 schools or the teachers, it's the Board and the way they do business I don't like. Too much drama and too big a chance that home values will be depressed even further by it.

Monument is about 25-35 minutes from the Peterson gate by Building 1 (of course it can be a bit longer when the weather is bad). Traffic on Hwy 24 is almost always nice and smooth; it's Hwy 25 that can get slowed up. (But you can take Hwy 83 and other roads part of the way as well and avoid 25, which we usually do.) Monument is two exits to the AF Academy so people up there usually use their commissary and BX (there are lots of military up there, especially retirees). D38 is one of the highest ranking school districts in the state and quite small (there are only 2 high schools, one brand new). There is more snow in Monument and its a bit cooler there but we get more snow (and howling winds like you wouldn't believe) out here in Falcon, too.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:25 PM

224 posts, read 732,642 times
I live in D49 with a son in the 3rd grade and one in preschool. It's only school/district we've been to. I think it all really depends on the school and teacher. It's not fair to blame the whole district, although they have their issues...I don't feel it has impacted my son's education. He is on an IEP and has been working with Special Education for his reading and ADHD issues. At first it took time but by the end of the year, I was pleased with their response. I have been disappointed in the lack of technology and computer but I think that is just within his school. Hopefully this Innovation Initiative will be something. At least for his school, I've been seeing improvement over the last few years.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:16 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,600,959 times
Since you are a military family, you should consider a Core Knowledge school. The Core Knowledge curriculum states what each child in each grade should learn. This way, you won't have the one fourth grade teacher that teaches the states and capitols and then the one fifth grade teacher that teaches it again. All students in each grade level learn the same basic things in every core knowledge school around the country.

This way, when you move to another school district you can find another core knowledge school and your child(ren) won't have any education gaps.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:37 PM

6,824 posts, read 10,518,651 times
Well, there are national standards and state standards for just about every content area, so that shouldn't be happening that much anyway. I think when it does, it has to do with differences in state standards.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:41 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,600,959 times
But national and state content standards don't usually specify exactly what needs to be taught at grade level. There are generalities in every subject area, especially in national standards. Core Knowledge curricula give very specific examples of facts and knowledge that must be taught at each grade level.

For example: in music, there are state and national standards that say that I need to have students sing in tune a variety of songs. I need to teach songs from our culture and world cultures. In Core Knowledge, I must teach all fifth graders the following songs: If I had a Hammer, We Shall Overcome, Havah Nagila, etc... The state and national standards state that students need to listen to a wide variety of music from several genres and times. In Core Knowledge: students must also listen to the following pieces: Beethoven's 5th, Pictures at an Exhibition, etc... They must also learn about sixteenth notes, 6/8 time, etc...

Also, state standards and national standards don't necessarily state what needs to be taught for each grade level, just for a range of grade levels, core knowledge is much more specific than this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
View detailed profiles of: