Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 05:23 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times

Advertisements

The area at the north end of El Paso County is called Black Forest and is heavily treed, without the elevation of WP, and with acreage available.

You can see homes in the area by searching realtor.com with zip code 80908, or on ppar.com
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 05:35 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,921,996 times
In addition what Mike said^^>> there are areas in Monument and Palmer Lake that are heavily wooded. These are 'burbs' of COS and are located along the Palmer Divide, which is the highest area along I-25, but not as high as WP.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:33 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,376,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
Great replies. Thank you so much for the information. I've been on a mission since we decided to up our time table from 5 ish years to 1-2. Iowa does get boring frequently. We have a few nice spots to sit and enjoy the scenery, but most of the state of Colorado is that way. There are also so many more days for it out there. Here it is either too hot or too cold most of the time. (Generally too cold) We have about 1/3rd of the year where it is fairly nice but humidity is always high. The irony is I tell people here we are planning to move to Colorado and their eyes get all big asking if we've been out there and as often as not they say they left their heart in Colorado when they came out here for family members and they hope to move back. We plan to invite the family to join us out in Colorado.

Are there any areas within 50 miles (preferably within 20-30) that have more trees? When my parents move out here they would like to get some acreage with trees. They won't have the lung capacity to live any higher than WP at the highest.
Keep in mind that this is a high altitude semi-arid desert. 90% of the trees here are of the Pine variety. Like mike said, Black Forest would be an excellent candidate.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:43 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,099,388 times
I've been using the google van to scope out black forest, and the increase in trees is pretty nice. Of course most are pines, but there are some that are not. I noticed Sondermann park has some beautiful non-pine trees. When we get a house I'd probably be looking at what kinds of non-pine trees would still grow in Colorado and bring a few in. Are there any restrictions on bringing other types of trees into Colorado for residential use?

How is the air up there? My parents are around 70, and I'm concerned they may have difficulty breathing. My wife and I are quite in shape and expect little to no difficulty.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:24 PM

Any suggetions on tools I should add to my arsenal?

Currently I used padmapper to view several apartments filtering out ones that would clearly not be relevant to us, then took the top options and called them, as well as running through apartment ratings reviews to see how happy, or not, the customers were as a group.

Old 09-15-2011, 04:42 PM

113 posts, read 223,553 times
Quote:
How is the air up there? My parents are around 70, and I'm concerned they may have difficulty breathing. My wife and I are quite in shape and expect little to no difficulty.
From what I've been able to tell, the air/altitude affects different people in different ways. I had no problem (coming here from sea level), and didn't even need an adjustment period. Most people seem to need a week or so. I've heard stories of some people who still have occasional altitude sickness after years.

The biggest thing to remember is to drink as much water as possible, and encourage your visitors to do the same!

Also, for apartment hunting - there are quite a few sites out there. I found mine on forrent.com. I also recently discovered zillow and hot pads.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:03 AM

812 posts, read 1,470,424 times
Quote:
When we get a house I'd probably be looking at what kinds of non-pine trees would still grow in Colorado and bring a few in. Are there any restrictions on bringing other types of trees into Colorado for residential use?
I'm not personally aware of restrictions, though I suggest you look at getting your trees here from a local nursery. Here's a link to all the "deciduous" trees sold by one of the larger, long-established nurseries in town (Deciduous Trees). We just planted a catalpa and a goldenrain (and have our fingers crossed they'll take). Good luck with it.

Old 09-18-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smdensbcs View Post
I'm not personally aware of restrictions, though I suggest you look at getting your trees here from a local nursery. Here's a link to all the "deciduous" trees sold by one of the larger, long-established nurseries in town (Deciduous Trees). We just planted a catalpa and a goldenrain (and have our fingers crossed they'll take). Good luck with it.
That's great advice.

For our renting plans we are looking at the area just west of I-25, between UCCS and GoTG. Anyone have experience with the area? It would give both my wife and I commutes under 8 minutes.

Old 09-18-2011, 04:44 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,376,177 times
Quote:
That's great advice.

For our renting plans we are looking at the area just west of I-25, between UCCS and GoTG. Anyone have experience with the area? It would give both my wife and I commutes under 8 minutes.
I live in that area, that's the rockrimmon neighborhood, once you get west of chestnut, great area. Lots of deer.

I live near Centennial and GOG, and I love it. My only complaint is there's no Walmart nearby. Closest one is 5 miles away Near Briargate/Academy blvd.

There is however 2 close grocery stores, ALbertsons and Kind Soopers, right on Centennial, and just about every damn restaurant you could think of on GOG, west of I-25.

Once you go east on GOG, past I-25, it's mostly a business corridor, and when you cross North Nevada, GOG becomes Austin Bluffs, and there isn't anymore housing until you get by UCCS. They just recently in the last few years, re-vamped the entire GOG/North Nevada area with a whole new shopping plaza and restaraunts, I believe there's a Costco there, and some high end clothing stores. That whole area used to be pretty blighted with crack ***** motels and looked terrible, but the city really turned it around.

You pretty much have everything you need, save for a big department store within a mile of where you're looking. I suppose Costco would somewhat fit that bill, however you have to purchase a membership.

Oh, and my favorite Harley dealership is pretty close by

Old 09-18-2011, 10:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,264 times
Hi lurtsman! Like you, my husband and I have the goal of moving to the Springs. I am a research junkie, and have also lurked this particular forum for several years. Your post has basically covered any questions I could have asked, thus eliminating the need for me to begin a thread of my own, thanks for that. I was just wondering, have you or your wife ever been to COS? If not, I can tell you for certain, you are making a wonderful decision! I had the pleasure of spending two weeks there about 5 years ago and fell in love with the place! We have been working and planning to move there ever since, and will hopefully be there within the next six months! I am a country girl through and through and have never liked any city (and I have seen quite a few) that I have visited. This city is different, and to me seems almost like heaven on earth! Of course it is still a city, and comes with its problems, but there are few and they are vastly outweighed by all the positives. I am confident you and your wife will find happiness in COS, good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs