Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 03:04 PM

20 posts, read 81,975 times

Advertisements

We're looking at a possible move to Colorado Springs within school district 20, 38 or 12. We have a son in the 1st grade who's high functioning/Aspergers and a preschool age daughter who was just diagnosed with autism, fortunately high functioning as well. Any thoughts about the different school districts and their SpecEd programs for those high functioning students? How are they at working towards mainstreaming? Ease to work with concerning IEPs? Etc. Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 04:12 PM

26,223 posts, read 49,072,443 times
We have existing threads in the COLO SPGS forum on autism and spec ed, just try the search tool, you'll find them.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-31-2010, 05:14 PM

60 posts, read 163,429 times
My daughter has aspergers and is mainstreamed here in Colorado Springs. She is in the 2nd grade and we've been here 1 1/2 yrs. We are in district 20, she goes to the Elem school on the USAF Academy. She hasn't had an IEP or any kind of therapy since preschool so no experience there, but we have a 504 in place because she's deaf in 1 ear, and it talks about some of her social issues etc. This way if we ever have to have an IEP it will be easier to put in place. There is a social worker at her school who is GREAT and I love her principle and really the whole school has been great. I think for you it will probably depend on the school more than the district. I want to say district 8 or 11 have some really good schools when it comes to Autism but I can't recall which ones. Sorry I can't be of more help.....

Old 11-01-2010, 12:26 AM

20 posts, read 81,975 times
Thanks Lindalou! It's been really difficult finding info on SpecEd for COS schools so anything helps!

Old 11-01-2010, 04:27 PM

50,873 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindalou76 View Post
My daughter has aspergers and is mainstreamed here in Colorado Springs. She is in the 2nd grade and we've been here 1 1/2 yrs. We are in district 20, she goes to the Elem school on the USAF Academy. She hasn't had an IEP or any kind of therapy since preschool so no experience there, but we have a 504 in place because she's deaf in 1 ear, and it talks about some of her social issues etc. This way if we ever have to have an IEP it will be easier to put in place. There is a social worker at her school who is GREAT and I love her principle and really the whole school has been great. I think for you it will probably depend on the school more than the district. I want to say district 8 or 11 have some really good schools when it comes to Autism but I can't recall which ones. Sorry I can't be of more help.....
As a former principal, my compliments to you. You sound like a parent with a special needs child who is very balanced in your perspective and approach.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:12 PM

Also you are able to choice into schools here if you want, so for instance say you send your child to your neighborhood school and you don't like it you can choose to send them to another school as long as there is room. There might be certain times of year you have to do this, not certain. But we moved in the middle of my daughter's 1st grade year and she gets to stay at her school till the 5th grade if we want even though we moved into an area that has a closer school. We're in the same district, but you can choice out of district if you want to as well. I think there's lots of options here which is nice. I just stay VERY involved with her school, and make sure when there's an issue it's brought to my attention right away so it can be resolved. I know how stressfull it can be moving not knowing if the school will be a right match for your child, I agonize over that everytime we move (we are military). Thanks for the compliment phetaroi, I've just been doing this for awhile, my daughter was diagnosed at age 2 1/2 and we had a HORRIBLE experience with her first school in South Carolina so I stay very active and make sure I build a good solid relationship with the school staff and so far so good!!

Old 11-01-2010, 08:14 PM

Just thought of this, there was a big article in a newspaper last year about a local school who had a good autism program/resources. You might want to search "The Gazette", it was probably in that paper. Good luck and let me know if there's any other questions I can maybe answer.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:00 PM

2 posts, read 6,893 times
My son is high functioning Aspergers and is also gifted-talented. He attends Soaring Eagles elementary in district 2. Soaring eagles is also the gifted-talented magnet. He is now in the 2nd grade and has been since kindergarten. They are wonderful..the school won a Blue Ribbon award last year and Mrs. Oelig won a special award this year, not sure which one. The Soaring Eagles is a great neighborhood, the downfall is that the Middle School and High School for our neighborhood is less than desirable, but we will deal with that when we get there.

Our son has an IEP and a 504 and attends a social skills building group at the school each Friday for the kids with Autism Spectrum disorders. There are great therapists in the Springs too. The school psychologist is great and I have had no issues with getting and developing his IEP. For example per IEP he requires a "Para" for fields trips, the school had no problem with any of his accommodations.
Good luck.

Last edited by Armychick; 11-04-2010 at 07:02 PM.. Reason: add more information

Old 04-26-2011, 11:17 AM

2 posts, read 11,743 times
we are concerned about our grandson and he does have an IEP and is at a charter school right now in colorado springs and they are doing their best to help him but we just wonder if there is a middle school that is trained to service aspbergers children and ADHD....susie

Last edited by susie dowler; 04-26-2011 at 11:19 AM.. Reason: want to change name and not have last name on my questions

Old 04-26-2011, 04:22 PM

6,825 posts, read 10,528,599 times
Generally speaking, most charter schools are ill-equipped to handle exceptional children. Usually, the regular schools have people much more highly trained as well as have more resources available and experience, especially in larger districts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs