Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 09:13 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,373,749 times

Advertisements

Yeah, they call them "Manitoids" LOL!!

Old 04-11-2008, 10:12 PM

52 posts, read 208,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Actually, many of the fundamentalists there equate the word "spiritual" with "Satanic." When I lived there, one of them warned me about Manitou Springs because she thought that Manitou Springs was "full of devil worshippers."

I'm still chuckling about that.
That has to be the funniest thing I've heard in ages, I'm just a skip and a hop from Manitou tbs.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:15 PM

16 posts, read 91,842 times
Wink Hm...interesting...

I have to say that is a very interesting statement. Have you lived in other places? I currently live in Northern MN and can tell you that if you think CSprings is bad, don't come here! I think that if you had some comparison in your statement it would carry more weight for others out here. My family is very much looking forward to the following things about CSprings: the beautiful city, the parks and recreation that are very conveniently located, the sun, the warmth, and the wonderful people we have met on our ventures there so far. Our kids are moving there in 5 days, as they have also fallen in love with the location (compared to the other places they have lived and visited), as well.

I hope you don't live in the Springs if you feel so disappointed about what it has to offer. It doesn't sound like it fits your lifestyle. This is also one of the reasons that people should do plenty of research and multiple visits to a location before choosing a city to relocate to!

Good luck on your ventures...

Old 04-23-2008, 10:05 AM

1 posts, read 2,374 times
Default better colorado, less population

Seek out the west side of the state, this is only a touristy, coveted taste of colorado. A mess, yes. But west is less people, more snow...and yes there are some places without a wal-mart!

Old 05-09-2008, 02:18 PM

2 posts, read 11,169 times
Well I have to put my two cents in, I am from Southern California(born and raised) and like it here (Colorado Springs) better than any part of California. The seasons are a nice change from the sunny all the time, yeah the snow coming when it is spring can get a little old but hey make the best of it, go play in the snow before you have to shovel it and then onces it shoveled, look how pretty the snow is and go inside under a blanket with a nice cup of hot coco or coffee, lol. I lived on the south side of town when I first moved here and did not like it because I had police in my apartment complex at all hours of the night, yeah I move in a bad area and didn't know it until later, but it is getting better from what I hear. Now I live on the east side of town and love the country feel....I think that is a great thing one side of town is all busy city like and the other is slow and country like....ah the best of both worlds, lol. All I have to say is if you don't like it you can always go somewhere else!

Old 06-29-2008, 05:33 PM

399 posts, read 1,549,466 times
Default wow

You know, I am probably really going to tick somebody off by saying this... But it sounds like this city is a bomb, ready to blow. People very forceful in viewpoints shooting off in both directions...AT DINNER? Wow...Thought Indiana was conservative...

Seems like a town seeking identity...But as far as nothing to do, I think I will have you all beat living in the Florida Keys. If you are not into water, fishing, and drinking...well you are SOL. There's nothing to do but hit Duval Street after 8pm. And if that sounds great, it can be, a nice quiet island town, until a bunch of tourists come pouring in and make enough racket and cause enough trouble to send Hemmingway himself searching for a new place to live, had he been here.

I hear people here talking about how much the place has changed for the worst too. The higher cost of living, work, poverty, and issues are everywhere. But at least you have land. A place to go away from all the bozos...and sit, relax, reflect. There is no escape from the "Keys Disease" which is why I am looking to go. Please tell me not everyone in COS is upset about everything and there are some hikers, some reflecters, people who just enjoy life and don't get wasted for 100% of it, or attack everyone's point of views. Need some hope here!

Old 06-29-2008, 07:24 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,373,749 times
Well, we get wasted alot, but we do it in the mountains!

Old 06-29-2008, 08:01 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostgecko View Post
You know, I am probably really going to tick somebody off by saying this... But it sounds like this city is a bomb, ready to blow. People very forceful in viewpoints shooting off in both directions...AT DINNER? Wow...Thought Indiana was conservative...

Seems like a town seeking identity...But as far as nothing to do, I think I will have you all beat living in the Florida Keys. If you are not into water, fishing, and drinking...well you are SOL. There's nothing to do but hit Duval Street after 8pm. And if that sounds great, it can be, a nice quiet island town, until a bunch of tourists come pouring in and make enough racket and cause enough trouble to send Hemmingway himself searching for a new place to live, had he been here.

I hear people here talking about how much the place has changed for the worst too. The higher cost of living, work, poverty, and issues are everywhere. But at least you have land. A place to go away from all the bozos...and sit, relax, reflect. There is no escape from the "Keys Disease" which is why I am looking to go. Please tell me not everyone in COS is upset about everything and there are some hikers, some reflecters, people who just enjoy life and don't get wasted for 100% of it, or attack everyone's point of views. Need some hope here!
Your understanding of our city are way warped by whatever you've heard. A LOT of what you read on website blogs and forums is WAY overstated for the "effect" it has. This place is not about to "blow" or anything close to it. It really is a marvelous place with tons to do, four seasons, no maddening tourist season, no hurricanes, very low crime. Only a precious small part of town is the bad area, but NOTHING like the bad parts of L.A., Phila, Newark, Baltimore, etc. TONS of hiking, biking, climbing, skiing, off roading, and you can do something in all four seasons. Fear not.

Old 06-30-2008, 02:53 PM

17 posts, read 75,145 times
I've traveled to a lot of places on this fine planet. From the heart of America to the far east in Japan. Being multi-cultural or what I like to call, "being a Mutt" has given me a chance to look at culture and regions in a different way. What I have found is that knowing an area and what it is like is a lot harder than just using information that is given to you by the people of that location. For example, as of right now I live in Baton Rouge. I lived in New Orleans most my life. I am looking to move for reasons that are important to me. If Mardi Gras, seafood and a rich deep cultural history were important to me then I'd stay here with no problems. However, every home and I mean EVERY home has it's downside. New Orleans has it's well documented crime and coruption. Now I've been in Colorado Springs. I've been in California, both southern and northern Cali. Cali, especialy in the angels is faster paced then the Springs. Most people that don't like it in the Springs who come from Cali really are used to the modern ways of thinking. Cali has the newest ideas, the most mixed cultural influences. The Springs has the most beautiful back drops. It actualy has seasons. What it lacks is a varied culture. I ask myself why so many Californians have moved to Colorado. Answer most liky is cost and a change of pace or possibly work. Ask yourself before you move anywhere do you really know what to expect there and are you ready to take the minus with the plus and still be happy? As for me, I'm ready for a different class of people then what I have here. No area is 100% safe but i can at least put the %'s in my favor. Put the %'s in your favor, is what you leave behind more or less important than where you go to.

Old 06-30-2008, 03:00 PM

17 posts, read 75,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Your understanding of our city are way warped by whatever you've heard. A LOT of what you read on website blogs and forums is WAY overstated for the "effect" it has. This place is not about to "blow" or anything close to it. It really is a marvelous place with tons to do, four seasons, no maddening tourist season, no hurricanes, very low crime. Only a precious small part of town is the bad area, but NOTHING like the bad parts of L.A., Phila, Newark, Baltimore, etc. TONS of hiking, biking, climbing, skiing, off roading, and you can do something in all four seasons. Fear not.
I agree. People have strong emotions when it comes to negative critiques. What people post here is personally most important to their needs. Understand why those critiques are imporatant to them AND are you exactly like that person. Odds are you are completely different than that person and your experiences will be different as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs