Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2011, 05:11 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,269,285 times

Advertisements

How crazy is one to be visiting Co. Springs within the first 2 weeks of Dec ???
I assume the road dept. & city takes good care of roads & sidewalks.
What would a normal temp. be around this time of year ?
just trying to figure out what type of coats/ sweaters to wear. Should I bring gloves.
I've just never been to the Springs this time of year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 05:21 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Anything from blizzard to mid-50's is in the crystal ball.

Pay attention to weather sites before leaving, then plan accordingly.

If we do get snow while you're here, the roads around town usually are cleared quickly; sidewalks are up to the homeowners, hotels clear their lots and walks quickly via hired help.

Sunny days are quite mild, unless we have strong winds; on these days a light jacket and sunglasses are normal. Gloves are useful.

If you plan to go up into the mountains, that's another game, full winter gear is usually the best.

Drink a lot of water upon arriving from low elevations. If you have dry sinus in winter, bring some saline spray, the air here is dry.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-05-2011, 05:22 PM

2,140 posts, read 6,468,350 times
Hard to tell. Normally, I would just warn of possible extreme cold. However, we've had a bit of snow twice, already. So it might be snowy, or dry, or cold or mild. If I were you, I'd follow the weather closely and plan accordingly. Chances are it will be dry and possibly cold.

Where are you coming from, Sillypup?

Oh yes, and the city does not take good care of all the roads. In the event there is a "snow event" in progress , expect snow on the road or icy conditions.

History : Weather Underground

The December temps above are from the Colorado Springs Airport, an average enough area. Downtown is milder, the north is colder.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 11-05-2011 at 05:31 PM.. Reason: Merged 2:1

Old 11-05-2011, 10:28 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalahartma View Post
... and the city does not take good care of all the roads. In the event there is a "snow event" in progress , expect snow on the road or icy conditions.
I agree. I love living in Colorado Springs and there are many things here that impress me. But I was not impressed at all last winter...which was a pretty easy winter...at how the streets were taken care of during snow events...particularly when you consider how hilly much of the city is.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:54 AM

641 posts, read 2,276,559 times
I would echo Mike's post....it's really a crapshoot some years. Snow, mixed in with sunny, mild days, is often the norm.

Fleece is your friend, as is a wool hat and gloves. I would be more concerned about the route...depending on where you're coming from.

Weather in CO Springs may be very nice, but depending on the route you're taking, mountain passes along the way, (especially from the South through New Mexico), or long stretches in-between major cities can be a whole different story.

I think you'll be fine.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:58 PM

1,455 posts, read 1,858,972 times
One word.

Layers.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:05 AM

1,742 posts, read 3,116,315 times
Please, bring lots of money and stimulate our economy !!

Old 11-08-2011, 11:26 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,890,380 times
Winter in Colorado Springs is a joke. The sun comes out and melts it away quickly.

If you come from a place with a real winter, you will laugh once you go through one in the Springs.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:26 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,375,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillypups View Post
How crazy is one to be visiting Co. Springs within the first 2 weeks of Dec ???
I assume the road dept. & city takes good care of roads & sidewalks.
What would a normal temp. be around this time of year ?
just trying to figure out what type of coats/ sweaters to wear. Should I bring gloves.
I've just never been to the Springs this time of year.
Why does everyone assume that COS is like an episode of South Park? LOL.

Yes, it will be very cold, but you'd be hard pressed to find any snow in the month of December. It does happen, but not very often. The snowiest months here are April and March.

That being said, be prepared for anything. I've seen it 80 on Christmas day and I've seen it snow in July.

I think you'll be just fine with a regular coat and gloves, and as far as driving, if it does snow, the road dept does a great job handling it. It's the other R-tard drivers here you have to worry about.

I swear, one snowflake hit the road and everyone forgets that it snows here.,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs