Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 05:16 PM

109 posts, read 292,254 times

Advertisements

Where do people get their information? CO has a philosophical and religious exemption for vaccines for children entering public school who may not be fully vaccinated according to the recommendations. To tell someone their children cannot go to school without all their shots is ignorant. I suggest finding a family practice doctor for your kids. There are still some doctors around that respect parent's rights and opinions about what goes into their child's body. Good luck.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:19 PM

109 posts, read 292,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyt00 View Post
I don't know about doctors, but you will have a very hard time finding a school to accept an unvaccinated child here in Colorado Springs. I assume you will be home-schooling your child- no day care would take your child as well.

I had a friend who was forced to take her kids out of school and home school them because of her stance on the issue.
I would like to know which district you are referring to because that is against the law. All your friend has to do is sign an exemption form and they cannot remove her children. Any public school is required by law to do this.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:28 PM

70 posts, read 227,479 times
After serving 24 years in the military, I've had more shots than i care to count. The only side effect was soreness at the site of the shot. My wife and both of my kids have had all their shots and all are fine: no extra limbs growing anywhere.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:28 PM

154 posts, read 432,034 times
A close friend of mine does not vaccinate her children (she did when they were babies...but not for the past 6 years). I asked her today and she responded with the following:

"Public schools in Colorado do accept exemption based on personal believes. The pediatrician we use is Dr. Michael Halenkamp with CSHP, so far he has been cool about it, but we have been giving our kids seasonal flu shots.
Private schools might have their own policy about shots. Different states have different laws as well. In case of an outbreak of a disease we will be asked to stay home till its over."

I hope this helps.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:42 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,027,375 times
Here's the link to the Colorado Revised Statutes on School Entry Immunizations.

Here's the exemption language:

25-4-903—Exemptions from immunization.
(1) (Deleted by amendment, L. 97, p. 409, § 2, effective July 1, 1997.)

(2) It is the responsibility of the parent or legal guardian to have his or her child immunized unless the child is exempted pursuant to this section. A student shall be exempted from receiving the required immunizations in the following manner:

(a) By submitting to the student’s school certification from a licensed physician or advanced practice nurse that the physical condition of the student is such that one or more specified immunizations would endanger his or her life or health or is medically contraindicated due to other medical conditions; or

(b) By submitting to the student’s school a statement of exemption signed by one parent or guardian or the emancipated student or student eighteen years of age or older that the parent, guardian, or student is an adherent to a religious belief whose teachings are opposed to immunizations or that the parent or guardian or the emancipated student or student eighteen years of age or older has a personal belief that is opposed to immunizations.

(3) The state board of health may provide, by regulation, for further exemptions to immunization based upon sound medical practice.

(4) All information distributed to parents by school districts regarding immunization shall inform them of their rights under subsection (2) of this section.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:32 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,889,319 times
Only reason children can go without vaccines is because the majority of the responsible parents have vaccinated theirs.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:03 AM

3 posts, read 6,996 times
I only asked about a pediatricion....not opinions on vaccinating or not. Also it is easy to opt out of them in the school system in el paso county, you just have to know your rights. Thanks but no thanks on your opinions here.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:07 AM

3 posts, read 6,996 times
thanks to those who posted information on exemption for vaccinations to those who are unaware

Old 11-09-2011, 08:40 AM

154 posts, read 432,034 times
I wish that people would first get themselves propertly informed before posting wrong information or making wrong assumptions. This is not the first time. Also, it is not necessary to "attack" people with their opinions. Glad that everyone in this forum now knows what the laws/rights are in regards to vaccinations.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:00 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,375,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixgunner View Post
After serving 24 years in the military, I've had more shots than i care to count. The only side effect was soreness at the site of the shot. My wife and both of my kids have had all their shots and all are fine: no extra limbs growing anywhere.
Same here, I've been vaccinated against every disease known to man LOL. I've never had any ill effects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs