Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 03:22 PM

122 posts, read 507,245 times

Advertisements

I have heard that Colorado Springs has good air quality and am interested in folks opinions on this, in particular:

How does Colorado Springs air quality/pollution compare to Dallas, San Diego, or San Jose?

Is Colorado Springs Air quality better than Denver?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 04:01 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,972,115 times
Can't compare to the other cities you mentioned, but Colorado Springs' air quality is noticeably better than Denver's. I think the Palmer Divide tends to block out much of the smog from the north.

Old 08-27-2007, 04:35 PM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
Can't compare to the other cities you mentioned, but Colorado Springs' air quality is noticeably better than Denver's. I think the Palmer Divide tends to block out much of the smog from the north.
I'd agree. Here's a pic showing the Hollywood hills and the 405 blocking that smog from my old homestead, the Valley.

By comparison, here's that Valley of about 5 Million. The smog is a little worse than that of Denver on a hot 94 degree day, but look at Denver from Ken Caryl and Kipling on a cold winter morning.

Last edited by McGowdog; 08-27-2007 at 04:43 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 08-27-2007, 04:51 PM

122 posts, read 507,245 times
Thanks for the quick responses. My wife is sensitive to air pollution so air quality is very important!

Also, is it possible to commute to work in Aurora, but still live past the "Palmer Divide" close to the Springs so as to avoid Denver's air pollution?

Any other opinions on the Springs air quality/pollution greatly appreciated!!!

Old 08-28-2007, 08:55 AM

553 posts, read 1,635,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gokctx View Post
Also, is it possible to commute to work in Aurora, but still live past the "Palmer Divide" close to the Springs so as to avoid Denver's air pollution?

Any other opinions on the Springs air quality/pollution greatly appreciated!!!
It's about an hour's drive from Northern Colorado Springs to Aurora, longer during typical commute times. A lot of people make the drive every day, and there's a bus service now that can make the time a little more productive.

If you want to avoid the 'bad air' in Denver and don't want that long of a commute, consider Monument, Palmer Lake, or even Castle Rock. Any of these locations (as well as the Springs) have no air pollution problems.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:44 AM

38 posts, read 326,370 times
I've not gotten a solid answer on city-wide pollution yet. Of course its going to differ, but every morning I wake up and sneeze for 10 solid minutes. Its maddening. Had allergy tests done, nothing.

But I do seem to breathe better here than I did in the humid and 'close' climates in Illinois, Indiana, and Kentucky

Old 08-29-2007, 10:24 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
I think smog tests were discontinued in El Paso County? Or is it all of Colorado? Or just some counties in Colorado?

Old 09-03-2007, 11:23 AM

5 posts, read 22,901 times
Has anyone seen Sperlings Best Places website? There are several indexes and one is an environmental tab. Water quality is HUGE to us, given we've been living with extremely hard and terrible tasting tap water (everyone in our city has bottled water or a reverse osmosis treatment system for drinking water AND a water softener), and Co. Springs water quality is very high compared to the national average. Also, air quality is above the national average (I believe - would have to look at that page again). Also important to us b/c of allergy and asthma problems. The bottom line: I had so many concerns about the altitude and dryness there but I felt great when I visited last year - better than I do at home here in the Bay Area, CA. BTW, Sperlings Best Places has a lot of good info. about cost of living, schools, people demographics, crime, etc. Now the crime indexes kind of scared me until I was reminded that Co. Springs is a LARGE CITY. Any large US city has problems and problem spots. It's spread out enough that you may be able to avoid the problem areas. I have also heard there is some infrasctructure problems, just due to all the growth (mostly services, like police and fire, etc.), but the city is addressing those concerns and working on them. Is that the local's impression? We live in a great community in the Bay Area if anyone is looking to move up here. We have only 40K pop., but hired a new police chief from Seattle. Very proactive of the city in my opinion - they're on top of the growth and have planned well for it. If the move to Co. Springs doesn't work out, we'll be happy to stay here. Reminds me of what I saw of the Springs but we have a view of Mt. Diablo and are near the Delta. And it's been HOT since May - triple digits some days, and it's getting OLD.

Old 03-13-2008, 04:44 AM

In today's Gazette...Smog testing coming back????

Top Stories: El Paso County's air barely meets new EPA ozone guidelines | standards, epa, air : Gazette.com

Old 06-18-2008, 08:05 PM

Ozone alert issued for Denver, Boulder, Colorado Springs | coloradoan.com | The Coloradoan,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs