Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 01:14 PM

12 posts, read 32,099 times

Advertisements

I am hoping someone from Colorado Springs will revisit this thread and respond........I am considering a Nursing position w/ VA/Army Base there and I am wondering about cost of living, schools (15 y/o Freshman son), good neighborhoods to rent in, ect. Official City website was pretty good, just wanting unbiased resident/parent responses.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:38 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,098,599 times
Hey Lchimook,

Those are some pretty broad categories. If you'd care to be more specific, I think you'll have several responses. People are pretty friendly here relative to many of the places I have lived. Cost of living - it exists but it's lower here than most large cities. In particular if you own your own home due to the low mortgage rates, and prices, you'll see cost of living significantly lower than most large cities where houses are more expensive. Taxes are again low relative to most areas.

Schools - most are very good out here, despite the uproar statewide about low funding. There is a distinction between having excess cash, and providing a quality education. You will not need private school. There are a few high schools that some parents recommend avoiding, 4 in the city, though I forget which four. Good neighborhoods, there are several, and in part this depends on how you define good. Each area has their own unique circumstances. Do you want a short commute, do you want the absolute best school district, are you looking for a house or an apartment, what price range, what services do you expect rent to entitle you to? If you expect a significant number of them, you'll have to pay more to have a nicer apartment. Some areas are more cost friendly than others. Some apartments charge rates that I believe to be absolutely absurd and reflect a surplus of renters, especially in their 20s and 30s, created by a near inability to qualify for mortgages based on the documentation of income required to pass the inspections now.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:25 PM

6,823 posts, read 10,516,715 times
The only four regular public high schools on the general to-avoid list are Sierra, Harrison, Mitchell and Wasson. And that does not mean that a good education is not possible at those schools or that all their feeder schools are bad, either. If you're interested in a charter, though - better ask - those range from terrible to great.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:49 AM

1 posts, read 2,355 times
Do not worry. It's a beautiful place with great people. You will find new friends in no time. You wouldn't want to leave the area.

Old 12-23-2011, 01:27 PM

74 posts, read 255,837 times
Not sure if OP ever returned to the thread or if she had decided to move to COS or not...

I too had been in a similar position where I was offered a job in the springs and given a weekend to think it over. I decided to do it because my husband and I were unemployed, recently married, and had just returned from working overseas and had no baggage! We were NYers our entire lives... living in a beach town on Long Island and commutedo work in NYC.

I left that horrid job in the springs after 4 months (be wary of any job that puts pressure on you like this!) took another in Denver--and a year later am back in the job market again. My husband has also been looking for work as a teacher. The job situation has been a bit rough... although I am sure that is pretty much everywhere these days. But we are still very happy to live here and don't regret the decision we made!

Like you, I am interested in all those things you mentioned. I am vegan and a healthy diet is important to me. I have connected with local vegetarian groups since moving out here and there are a number of health food stores to be found (including 2 Whole Foods--which I rarely shop at anyway because I prefer Natural Grocers). There is a small, but very nice outdoor green market in Old Colorado City. I am also interested in yoga. I had been an avid Bikram yoga practioner, but the nearest studio is in Denver. I have found Core Power Yoga to be a great place to practice. They have 2 studios out here and I go almost daily.

I feel like life here is good for us.. Things seem much more convenient and accessible than in New York.. where it was a trip to get anywhere. We have great hiking in our yard, beautiful mountain views, nature (deer, foxes, and we once had a bear in our yard!) People here are generally fitness conscious and athletic and you will find lots to do here. The types of people who live here vary... Manitou and Old Colorado City are filled with liberal, artsy, hippy types (like myself) with more walkable neighborhoods and interesting old bungalows. Manitou is a town like none other with people all living in colorful tiny bungalows on top of each other along the mountain. The Broadmoor area is very upscale with gigantic homes and wealthy people--appealing to retired east coasters who can easily afford home to live there. The North parts by the air force base are more of what I think of as 'conversative'. Here you will find cookie-cutter homes and New Lifers. I don't venture much out there. Dowtown area is probably the liveliest part of the springs with shows, museums, the university, nightlife, restaurants and shopping. Some people are like me..transplants from larger cities with liberal attitudes, a lot are military, and some just seem like odd rednecks (you will see the pick up trucks with the dog in the back and rifle in the front seat). Either way, I enjoy the mix and there is a place for everyone here.

If you miss the city feel, Denver is only an hour away. I personally feel as if we have it all! Although I commuted to Denver for work everyday, I never considered moving there. Yuck. Not even Boulder seems all that great.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:37 PM

96 posts, read 424,646 times
Default Moving to COS from Me...

Portland, Me. & Colorado Springs are both beautiful enough to share pics on a calender. Congress St. in Portland is nice downtown as is Kennebunk Me.Just a little advice, try to stay in the Northern section of COS as you'll probably feel better there. To even consider living in a particular political area is just silly. I'm an Independant and just follow the 'best man or woman' for the job, so it doesn't affect me. Of course if you find one party to be pure EVIL, don't move.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:11 AM

2 posts, read 4,332 times
I have enjoyed reading this thread as I currently live overseas, but lived in Colorado Springs for thirteen years prior. I had outstanding experiences there and find it to be a "melting pot" of people from all over the United States who have moved there for a variety of reasons. The best things about The Springs are the climate, the schools, and the quality of life. You'll find clean air, sunshine, four seasons, and recreational opportunities that are second to none. As someone who has traveled the world, I'll tell you that it is the prettiest city in the USA, barely ahead of Portland but the sunshine breaks the tie for me!

I would recommend that you look at neighborhoods in the Black Forest, Palmer Lake, inner Monument, or Skyway. The school districts of 20, 38, and 12 are easily the best (overall, although I don't think any are too bad). I would unfortunately stay away from Falcon and Eastern Colorado Springs, trust me.

I am a bit bothered by the, well I hate to say this, some of the intolerance on this forum. Tolerance works both ways, and referring to me as a "fundie" is no different than any other kind of slur. As someone who is a "progressive" evangelical, I am dismayed at how I am being portrayed. What I have found in life is that it is dangerous to put labels on people, of any kind. I don't like it, and more and more followers of Jesus like me, speak out when they do. The philosophy of "you get what you give" applies when moving to Colorado, or anywhere else in the world. I think you'll find that like every other "group" that is labeled that you will find people doing the best they can to live a good life, provide for family, and hopefully make a difference along the way.

I wish you the best of luck and hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Last edited by monumentous; 01-13-2012 at 02:19 AM..

Old 01-13-2012, 11:01 AM

727 posts, read 1,366,058 times
Monumentous: Just an observation, but in decrying the labeling of groups, you then describe yourself as a 'progressive evangelical.' Isn't that a label?

I disagree with your contention that this forum somehow reflects intolerance. Compared to the blogosphere, this is a very civil forum and I think the posters go out of their way to be respectful of each other's differences. When folks stray, Mike steps in and puts a halt to it (many thanks, Mike). This forum is composed of folks with a lot of different philosophies, and we often disagree, but with few exceptions, with respect.

Accurately or not, COS has a national reputation for being socially, politically and religiously very conservative (not a value judgment or slur, just reality), and yes, intolerant (reputation, not reality, IMO). When I was researching this forum while searching for my ultimate retirement destination, I specifically asked whether my wife and I, who have a different belief structure and political stance, would fit in here. The posters who responded assured us that COS, was a very live and let live community, where we would be welcome and would fit in. I've since read posts from the opposite end of the social/religious/political spectrum asking the same questions, and receiving the same type of response. These are legitimate concerns, as people of all persuasions want to feel welcome and fit in. Moving here a year ago was a major decision and expense for us. If I had to put descriptors in the form of labels in framing my concerns, it was to gather information, and certainly not meant as a slur, and I think you'll find that in most of the posters here.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:35 AM

2 posts, read 4,332 times
Understood Carrera. Don't want to shift the focus as what a see a great place to live (albeit imperfect) which is Colorado Springs. As someone who has lived several places in different regions of the US, I think that sometimes its perception is worse than reality in many ways. I obviously have taken things wrong, and I guess that like most things we need a lot more dialogue and understanding, myself included. Hope you have a good week.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:54 PM

1,455 posts, read 1,858,972 times
Well said.

This is one of the reasons for the branding effort (to those doing nothing but complaining about it). To put a united, focused, and more truthful face to what this region is all about and to fight the wrong, misguided perceptions that a lot of the country has had towards CS for many years. Here's hoping it succeeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera32 View Post
Monumentous: Just an observation, but in decrying the labeling of groups, you then describe yourself as a 'progressive evangelical.' Isn't that a label?

I disagree with your contention that this forum somehow reflects intolerance. Compared to the blogosphere, this is a very civil forum and I think the posters go out of their way to be respectful of each other's differences. When folks stray, Mike steps in and puts a halt to it (many thanks, Mike). This forum is composed of folks with a lot of different philosophies, and we often disagree, but with few exceptions, with respect.

Accurately or not, COS has a national reputation for being socially, politically and religiously very conservative (not a value judgment or slur, just reality), and yes, intolerant (reputation, not reality, IMO). When I was researching this forum while searching for my ultimate retirement destination, I specifically asked whether my wife and I, who have a different belief structure and political stance, would fit in here. The posters who responded assured us that COS, was a very live and let live community, where we would be welcome and would fit in. I've since read posts from the opposite end of the social/religious/political spectrum asking the same questions, and receiving the same type of response. These are legitimate concerns, as people of all persuasions want to feel welcome and fit in. Moving here a year ago was a major decision and expense for us. If I had to put descriptors in the form of labels in framing my concerns, it was to gather information, and certainly not meant as a slur, and I think you'll find that in most of the posters here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs