Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 05:25 PM

25 posts, read 54,906 times

Advertisements

1. No need to be scared. With email, Facebook, text messaging, cell phones with pictures and practically unlimited minutes, Skype, etc. is easy to stay in touch with friends and family where ever they might be.

2. I've found Colorado Springs to be a very friendly area. It's more liberal than I'm accustomed to but practically everyone I've met has been very nice.

3. There is an art scene in the Colorado Springs area. However, if it isn't as dynamic as you prefer, Denver is only an hour away.

4. There are plenty of yoga places. Whole Food's market is a wonderful place to shop for your cooking needs. Just keep an open mind and be willing to try new things. And, know that the weather changes a lot. With the exception of the very mild summers, if you don't like the weather, just wait a day or two and it will be completely different.

Good luck from a Texas transplant.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:33 PM

9 posts, read 22,120 times
I am moving to Colorado Springs next year in June. How was your move? My family and I are in the same boat. We have to family there and are scared of making such a big move! We are doing it because we feel like it would be a better environment for our son to grow up in. We currently live in Saint Petersburg, FL. We want away from the heat! Cant wait for the snow!

Old 12-15-2011, 04:51 PM

310 posts, read 1,241,755 times
You won't be hated here at all. This place is too emotionally dead to hate. What will happen here is you will not like it. You will see lots of people who do their jobs and not much else. And there are liberal, artsy people here but that's like saying there's good Mexican food in Iowa or something. This place is conservative and what that means is hard working, keep to yourself, own a big house and pay as few taxes as possible types of people. Oh and not a lot of public works or parks or city services. Think "Homesteader" and "Nobama" stickers.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:09 AM

16,433 posts, read 22,107,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Userdavey View Post
This place is too emotionally dead to hate.
That's not a fair assessment. Hard working, conservative people are not "emotionally dead". They are just as enthusiastic about the things they love and value as anyone else, though their values may well differ from yours.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:10 AM

310 posts, read 1,241,755 times
I wasn't trying to be "fair." It's just my observation.
This place is very quiet, with lots of church goers who keep to them selves and maintain traditional lifestyles. Denver, for example has sports stadiums, a huge downtown, college craziness, thousands of young people partying, sports cars, rock concerts, etc. Not to mention the abundance of parks and outdoor activities there. Here you've got big conservative pissed off cowboy types driving their F-350's to the ranch with "Nobama" stickers. Oh boy.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:49 AM

896 posts, read 1,470,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enrgzrbnny77 View Post
I'm also nervous because I'm politically liberal
Yeah but maybe they will fix you.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:44 PM

812 posts, read 1,463,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Userdavey View Post
This place is too emotionally dead to hate.
I was going to respond to this, but after living in Colorado Springs for almost 10 years, its almost as if I can't bring myself to feel anything anymore, good or bad. Foods I used to enjoy now taste bland. The hundreds of miles of trails easily accessible from my house ... I just ignore all that. My kids' developmental accomplishments (learning to walk, talk, read, etc.) that may have interested me had I lived any other place ... yawn. Meeting new friends ... bleh. Only when I travel with my zombie-eyed spouse up to Denver does a tiny flicker of life rekindle in our parched, deadened souls. Only then do the sunsets over the mountains have any beauty. Back when I was capable of independent thought (before the megachurch implanted a repetitive loop of monotone anti-obama phrases into my brain) I believed Colorado Springs might, just might, be a more affordable, less congested alternative to Denver, where one could live in the foothills and commute to a downtown office in 10-12 minutes rather than the 45-60 such a commute would routinely take in Denver. DENVER! Glorious DENVER! A place I now realize, too late, was my only hope to avoid the fate of the other undead who surround me here in the Springs. Quickly, quickly now, before all is truly and forever lost, get me to a Trader Joe's or to a town with even a single piece of original art or for the love of all mercy at least give me one earbud tuned to NPR, but on the lowest possible volume so my unfeeling Springs-infected brain does not explode from the shock.

Old 12-16-2011, 04:41 PM

16,433 posts, read 22,107,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smdensbcs View Post
I was going to respond to this, but after living in Colorado Springs for almost 10 years, its almost as if I can't bring myself to feel anything anymore, good or bad. Foods I used to enjoy now taste bland. The hundreds of miles of trails easily accessible from my house ... I just ignore all that. My kids' developmental accomplishments (learning to walk, talk, read, etc.) that may have interested me had I lived any other place ... yawn. Meeting new friends ... bleh. Only when I travel with my zombie-eyed spouse up to Denver does a tiny flicker of life rekindle in our parched, deadened souls. Only then do the sunsets over the mountains have any beauty. Back when I was capable of independent thought (before the megachurch implanted a repetitive loop of monotone anti-obama phrases into my brain) I believed Colorado Springs might, just might, be a more affordable, less congested alternative to Denver, where one could live in the foothills and commute to a downtown office in 10-12 minutes rather than the 45-60 such a commute would routinely take in Denver. DENVER! Glorious DENVER! A place I now realize, too late, was my only hope to avoid the fate of the other undead who surround me here in the Springs. Quickly, quickly now, before all is truly and forever lost, get me to a Trader Joe's or to a town with even a single piece of original art or for the love of all mercy at least give me one earbud tuned to NPR, but on the lowest possible volume so my unfeeling Springs-infected brain does not explode from the shock.

Old 12-16-2011, 04:56 PM

704 posts, read 1,784,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smdensbcs View Post

The real irony is that you get to Denver, glorious Denver, and it turns out that not only is it sans-Trader Joe's, sans haute couture, or sans most of the sorts of things that the crowd that uses words like "sans" really need in a city, but most of it is actually a lot like Colorado Springs. So much for Denver, glorious Denver.

Fortunately, Boulder, glorious Boulder, is only 45 minutes north of Denver, until you realize that you can't afford to spend more than 45 minutes in Boulder before you run out of money and you're back down to Colorado Springs and then the airport, the glorious airport.

Old 12-16-2011, 05:29 PM

812 posts, read 1,463,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
... and then the airport, the glorious airport.
Yes, YES!! But, um, then we jet off to ... where? Please tell me the place we seek - where all is true and well - exists. Is it in long, slender Chile, with it's thousands of miles of coastline? How I long for Tiera del Fuego. If not here, if not Tiera del Fuego, where is this perfect place? Please don't tell me it involves Garrison Keilor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs