Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 10:30 AM

727 posts, read 1,366,058 times

Advertisements

PammyB - Wow! Another refugee from DC. That makes you, Mike, TeryTee, Phetaroi, and me. Not to forget Froggin, who's stuck in VA and can't wait to return (2 years and counting, right?) Who am I leaving out? I know I'm forgetting at least one or two other posters who came here from NoVA. Mike and and the other DC expats in particular helped us narrow down our choices of a relocation destination by their enthusiastic posts and their assurances that some of the issues that concerned us were either unfounded or overblown. We've been here a little more than a year now and have become enthusiastic boosters of COS and environs. We also live downtown near CC and couldn't be happier with the neighborhood (ONEN), not the least of which is its more more moderate to liberal political leanings. Once we visited, we were sold. It's been a great year exploring what the area has to offer (there is a cultural life here; you just have to look for it a bit. Start with our local symphony; for a town of this size, it's a real treasure). Can't say it enough, but this forum really gave us an unvarnished look at both the positive and negative elements of the community and helped us decide to relocate here. We haven't been disappointed. The ex-NoVa mantra: No bugs, no humidity, no traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2011, 10:51 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,430,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera32 View Post
PammyB - Wow! Another refugee from DC. The ex-NoVa mantra: No bugs, no humidity, no traffic.
Plus our DS, DIL & Granddaughter, who I can't wait to see along with your wonderful area tomorrow. I'll actually see snow on Christmas! Guess I better start packing.

Old 12-24-2011, 03:31 PM

8 posts, read 9,457 times
PammyB thank you for your post. It makes us feel not so crazy for wanting to just pick up and leave. My son is also in the 7th grade and the school he is now has only 7th and 8th grade and there are 1500 students! He is very smart, but has no chance to even reach his potential here bc he can barley breath! My daughter is in 5th grade and is doing well, but we drive her 20 minutes out of the way to make sure the school she attends is good.
Thank you again.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:16 AM

We are going to be moving up there in February. I am looking at hotels that are in downtown. The La Quinta Inn on Geyser Dr. has everything we need, but some sites claim it to be downtown and others do not. Is that in downtown? Has anyone ever stayed there? It had ok reviews online, and it accepts dogs, so as long as it is downtown, I hope it will ok. Also, does anyone know of anyone renting out a house in the downtown area? We are very nervous that because of our situation, no one will rent to us. We are staying optimistic though! We have started collecting jackets and long johns to be prepared for the snow : ) Again, any info anyone has please share- coming in blind.
Thank you

Old 01-07-2012, 10:39 AM

50,797 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becstar24 View Post
We are going to be moving up there in February. I am looking at hotels that are in downtown. The La Quinta Inn on Geyser Dr. has everything we need, but some sites claim it to be downtown and others do not. Is that in downtown? Has anyone ever stayed there? It had ok reviews online, and it accepts dogs, so as long as it is downtown, I hope it will ok. Also, does anyone know of anyone renting out a house in the downtown area? We are very nervous that because of our situation, no one will rent to us. We are staying optimistic though! We have started collecting jackets and long johns to be prepared for the snow : ) Again, any info anyone has please share- coming in blind.
Thank you
I wouldn't quite describe it as downtown, but it's only about 4 miles from downtown.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:48 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Bec, Google Maps shows Geyser Dr to be down by the World Area and Tinseltown movies, west of I-25 and in a bit of a congested area, but it is NOT in the downtown area, not even "close" in my book.

There is a great hotel in the downtown area, Antlers Hilton, which may be a bit pricey but it is in the heart of downtown and safely walkable to many fine places to eat and a mere block from the Pikes Peak Center for good shows.

There are other places down there to stay. An easy way to find them would be to do a google-maps inquiry on 3 South Cascade Street, Colorado Springs and it will return the Antlers Hilton, then use the Search Nearby feature with the term HOTELS and you'll get a list of several places downtown, including a B&B.

Is there a particular reason why you want to be downtown?

You probably don't need much in the way of special clothing for extreme cold or snow unless you plan to go skiing up in the high country. For being in-town you can get by with standard stuff worn anywhere: jeans, heavy shirts, windbreaker, sweaters or hoodies, gloves, one good heavy coat and some sturdy shoes like Merrill walking shoes, etc. We really don't get that much snow here in-town, it usually melts in a few days and we were up near 60 degrees this past week. For our climate you need to drink a lot of water, have sunglasses, sunscreen and chapstick. If your nose is one that dries out, you need a saline spray or gel. Air here is very dry and sun is strong 250-300 days of the year, though not the heat of Phoenix, AZ.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:33 AM

Thank you! When looking on a map, it is so hard to determine downtown. We are looking in the downtown area for houses to rent also, we want to really get familiar with the place so we thought a hotel downtown would be good. A few of the houses that were more affordable are in the same area as the La Quinta is that an ok area? I know that most say that there are really no bad areas of COS, but we really want somewhere our kids can play outside and be safe. Thank you everyone again, this really is so nice to get first hand advise

Old 01-08-2012, 10:01 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
I'll have to rely on others to assess that area down by the World Arena as I live on the far north end of town. I don't recall hearing anything about it, the SW side of town is not known for being a bad area. FWIW, here's the crime map for the city, you can zero in on any area.

The city really isn't all that big, getting to/from the downtown isn't a huge problem if one lived a few miles away.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:24 AM

6,823 posts, read 10,516,715 times
I would say it is an okay area in terms of playing outside and being safe, etc., - and it is pretty and close access to amenities, etc., but the schools are questionable.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:18 PM

727 posts, read 1,366,058 times
Becstar - check out the area known as Patty Jewett. You can find it on a map surrounding the Patty Jewett golf course. It's an established older downtown neighborhood just northeast of the downtown core (the downtown core is roughly bordered by I-25 on west, Uintah St. or Colorado College on the north, Cucharras on the South and Wahsatch on the east (these borders are my definition; I'm sure there are others out there who would disagree). The main drags in the downtown core are Tejon, Cascade and Nevada Aves, running north/south. I live in a very nice downtown neighborhood called Old North End, the area just north of Colorado College up to about Penrose hospital, bordered on the east by Wahsatch and on the west by Monument Valley Park. Other than college rentals around Colorado College area, you won't find much in the way of rentals in Old North End. I think you'll find your best best in Patty Jewett, which borders Old North End on the east, if you're looking for a good downtown area to settle in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs