Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2012, 08:08 AM

5 posts, read 14,106 times

Advertisements

Good morning all. I have spent the last couple of days reading through tons of posts on this site. So very handy. Ya'll give a lot of good advice. It is much appreciated.
I am planning a move to CS in about 7 months (end of the school year) after patiently waiting for about 4 years to do it. I will be a single mom for roughly 1.5 years while my husband finishes his military career. I have been looking at houses online a lot. I also took a list of zip codes someone recommended on another thread. Wondering about the best school districts. I am of the opinion that school is more about the individual teacher and less about the school as a whole. I am a native Floridian and currently living here now. Words can't express my unhappiness with the schools. We were in WA state (hubby is a submariner) and I desperately miss the mountains, the snow, the hiking, etc. NOT THE RAIN. On our first cross country trip to WA we stayed over night in CO and ended up staying 3 days because it was just so wonderful. We have made that drive 4 more times and each time we have stopped and stayed a bit in CO.
I do prefer to be near a base for medical, etc. So, schools?? Best areas near the base?? I think that is it....for now.
Any words of advice? I appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 09:24 AM

26,138 posts, read 48,790,090 times
Consensus is that best school districts are D8, D12, D20 and D38 and I've listed them geographically from south to north.

South is near Fort Carson, central is near Peterson AFB and north is near the USAF Academy. Way out east of town is Schreiver AFB. Cheyenne Mountain facility is west, near the D12 area.

What base are you interested in?

Will you be working? If so, tell us and we'll advise best areas for short commutes, but truth is, having spent 30+ in the DC area with DOD and driving in that crap, there are no bad commutes here unless you want to live up in the mountains west of the city and commute to the USAFA on the far north end of the city.

We're up on the far north end, near the USAFA, but we can get to Peterson in 20-25 minutes, Carson in 30-40 minutes depending on which gate, etc. Our area is known as Briargate and Pine Creek, zip 80920, with D20 schools, and overall it's a newer area with good shopping, movies, and quicker access to the Denver area. Consider along the Powers Blvd corridor, in Briargate or Pine Creek; also nearby places in zip 80924 like Cordera, Wolf Ranch, and Cumbre Vista (http://www.cumbrevista.com/index.html - broken link), etc. There are two new public hospitals up this way, not to mention those on the bases.

Zip code map.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:45 AM

5 posts, read 14,106 times
Hi and thanks Mike! You always seem to have very well written answers. That is great.
Thanks for the school info. I notice from looking at different home listings certain ones boast their location in whichever district!
Not too concerned with which base, just that there are good medical facilities. I notice that civilians are accepting less and less Tricare and I find it easier going to a base. The quality of care seems to be much better. (Perhaps that is just me).
Not going to work right away. I would actually like to hopefully volunteer with CASA and they seem to be easily accesible from all areas.
Your response has been so helpful to me. I am writing everything down.
Thanks!!!

Old 01-11-2012, 07:29 PM

170 posts, read 760,190 times
Mike was very helpful to me as well. I have been here almost five years; I moved from San Antonio TX. Everyday I feel so blessed and fortunate that I made the move here!!

Old 01-11-2012, 07:48 PM

26,138 posts, read 48,790,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minz View Post
Mike was very helpful to me as well. I have been here almost five years; I moved from San Antonio TX. Everyday I feel so blessed and fortunate that I made the move here!!
Great to hear from you again!

Are you doing your part to Keep Manitou Weird!
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:52 PM

170 posts, read 760,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Great to hear from you again!

Are you doing your part to Keep Manitou Weird!

I need to spend more time on this site!! And yes, doing all I can to keep Manitou weird!! Hope all is well with you Mike!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs