Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 04:18 PM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times

Advertisements

Cosmic Artifact, I am right there with you on alcohol. All the worst things I've ever seen people do to one another, in my life and with my own eyes, the person was drunk. And often used it like some kind of excuse. Weed might make people waste their time and become lazy/demotivated or cause development of a habit, but it isn't scary stuff. The most habitual users I've ever known, you couldn't even tell they were on anything when they used. It becomes like Prozac when used daily over time. The person is fully functional, but they get irritable when they come off the stuff. Habitual drunks, or drunks of any stripe, scare the bajeezus outta me. And then there is the whole, imprisoning potheads, the taxpayers have to foot the bill to feed and house these people. I think most conservatives get why that's not a good idea.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't smoke pot if it were totally legal. I have too much stuff to do, I need my energy. But I think people can make the decision, if they're allowed to drink, smoke cigarettes, go to war, or vote to elect politicians (arguably the most dangerous activity to society in general...)

I think most Colorado folks are more libertarian than liberal OR conservative. Socially liberal but fiscally conservative, dominated by a heavy flavor of "leave me alone, I don't need your help or want your advice" with regards to government interference in life. At least that's the message I've been getting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 07:02 PM

236 posts, read 479,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
We have a Democratic Governor. Both of our Senators are Democrats. Three out of seven Members of Congress are Democrats. We have Boulder.

No, the whole of Colorado is anything but "very red." We're very much a swing state.
I think I get a better understanding how going off topic is now... see I been responding to the topic title and then going back and commenting/reading others comments. I guess its not the correct method, but it will thin out alot of information because the subject gets changed by the second post anyway lol nevermind, sorry guys... just grumpy I guess.

at any rate I think "opinions" are something different than "impressions"

Old 03-20-2012, 12:06 PM

6 posts, read 13,076 times
Hi Sapphaire,
Your post was really helpful and sounds like what I'm looking for. I really like the idea of monument but I think it may be too far away from Schriever AFB. Keeping in mind the type of areas you've mentioned, what might be a resonable distance from Schriever - good school district also.

Thank you!

Old 03-22-2012, 12:41 AM

74 posts, read 255,764 times
Aside from overlooking Cheyenne Mtn Zoo (which I really hope you get to check out before you leave--it is phenomenal & nowhere near as crowded as any of the big cities), there are also several art galleries, museums & exhibits. There's one big art museum downtown (very classy) that has jazz concerts every Friday night, I have been to some of the art exhibits at Marmalada @ Smokebrush (they just had a glass heart & hand exhibit, and they host a live story telling once a month). Not to mention all the art galleries you can walk into in Manitou and the famous local artist fixture CH Rockey. Kimball's theater and the COS Film Festival promote independent film. There's definitly a lot art here if you look for it.

I think the conservatism is a bit exaggerated by those up north, but is still a real presence. Despite the massive amounts of medical marijuana shops--the springs does have a "hillbilly" feel to it. But there are also lots of niches for most people to fit in somewhere. And ghetto I have to agree does exist. I guess depending on where you come from if you are not used to having homeless coming up to you, seeing beggers at every major intersection, and hearing the occassional gunshot at night--then ghetto def comes to mind.

Agreed about the military as well. And I do worry about having such a large concentration of military guys coming back from war with PTSD so close to where I live. There are shootings downtown and so the nightlife is not something I explore much here. You never know what will happen if your husband/boyfriend accidentally bumps into one of those guys at the bar....

Old 03-22-2012, 09:59 AM

727 posts, read 1,365,714 times
Don't forget Stargazers for live music and other civic events. Local ownership (great folks), unique venue (more than a few performers have commented on what a great room it is). Cost is usually minimal, particularly for local acts and free parking. About a five minute drive from the downtown core.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:01 PM

251 posts, read 571,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Cosmic Artifact, I am right there with you on alcohol. All the worst things I've ever seen people do to one another, in my life and with my own eyes, the person was drunk. And often used it like some kind of excuse. Weed might make people waste their time and become lazy/demotivated or cause development of a habit, but it isn't scary stuff. The most habitual users I've ever known, you couldn't even tell they were on anything when they used. It becomes like Prozac when used daily over time. The person is fully functional, but they get irritable when they come off the stuff. Habitual drunks, or drunks of any stripe, scare the bajeezus outta me. And then there is the whole, imprisoning potheads, the taxpayers have to foot the bill to feed and house these people. I think most conservatives get why that's not a good idea.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't smoke pot if it were totally legal. I have too much stuff to do, I need my energy. But I think people can make the decision, if they're allowed to drink, smoke cigarettes, go to war, or vote to elect politicians (arguably the most dangerous activity to society in general...)

I think most Colorado folks are more libertarian than liberal OR conservative. Socially liberal but fiscally conservative, dominated by a heavy flavor of "leave me alone, I don't need your help or want your advice" with regards to government interference in life. At least that's the message I've been getting.
THIS. All of it.
I'd also like to add that medical marijuana IS necessary for some people who cannot take narcotics....another one of the legal substances that is about a million times more addictive and dangerous than marijuana. Oh the irony.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:43 AM

9,523 posts, read 16,503,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire904 View Post
I've lived here for 1.5 years and sadly, will be moving yet again. Not because I don't like it here, but we want to be around family. Anyway, I've really enjoyed living in the Springs and wanted to share my opinion for anyone looking to move here. Hopefully, you may find some answers to your questions (or at least another opinion) to help your decision.

1. This is a VERY outdoorsy and sports-related city. People ride bikes, hike, jog, rock climb, etc. all times of the year - even in 20 degrees.

2. I know most people say this is a conservative city, but I don't see it. I don't think a conservative city would promote medical marijuana everywhere and hold a gay pride parade. With that in mind, there is a medical marijuana store on 1 out of every 5 corners (may be a slight exageration). There is also an abundance of lesbians and some gay men, but mostly women.

3. Most people here tend to claim Christianity as their belief, however there are other faiths as well.

4. There is little snow compared to the mountains and north (Denver, Boulder, etc). If we do get snow, it's light, fluffy and is usually gone within a day. The winters seem pretty long, though, and last year, we didn't see spring-like temps until May.

5. The sun shines most days - love it!

6. There is a very strong military presence here - Air Force, AF Academy and Army. I haven't had any problems with AF or the Academy cadets, but have had several run-ins with army guys. So has my husband and mother-in-law. Particularly the ones from down south - they've been rude, cut me off in traffic or don't let you in, harassing and egotistical. Apparently they think they're kings of the world.

7. There are A LOT of deer here, mainly in people's yards and crossing the street. We have resident deer that come across from Ute Valley park and eat the trees, but you have to be careful driving around dinner time. Please take it slow and don't be alarmed if you see a couple or 5 hanging out in your front yard. They're everywhere!

8. Utilities are reasonable. I live in a 2 bdrm apartment (2 people) and we've very conservative with water and electricity. We pay av. $120 in winter and $90 in summer and that's elec, gas and water combined.

9. Where to live? I LOVE the NW area, north of Garden of the Gods and west of I-25. I wouldn't choose any other place, except for maybe Woodland Park. There are rolling hills, Ute Valley park, and plenty of hiking along the foothills (Blodgett Trail and residential trails). It's a safe area, beautiful homes and the people are nice. Garden of the Gods park is right down the road too.

10. As far as other neighborhoods, there are some nice, normal areas, but there's also a little ghetto spread throughout the city tucked in every direction. Yes, the area by Fountain & Academy is the worst, but it's not just concentrated in that one area. There are pockets of ghetto on Fillmore, in Old Colorado City, along Platte and downtown. Briargate is nice, but it's just a sea of houses and it's too far from the mountains for me.

11. Jobs are aplenty, but remember that military personnel get first dibs. I work in the IT field and got a job 1 month from the time I moved here. My husband works in the automotive industry and has found several jobs.

12. Great food, but not much culture. There are Chinese, Mexican and a couple Mediterranean and Indian, but Denver has a better selection and diversity. As far as people, most are white and Mexican. Some Black, Asian and other.

13. If you want an art museum, science museum, zoo or botanical gardens, you'll have to go to Denver. The Springs doesn't have them (with the exception of the ProRodeo Hall of fame)

14. There are more places to hike and bike ride than I can count. And that's just in the Springs. Woodland Park (which I consider "in the mountains") is about 20 min. from my house and it offers even more mountainous hikes with awesome views. It's wonderful!!

15. I get around with a FWD sports car and as long as your tires are good, you'll have no problems in the snow. Make sure you have ABS though and traction control will help. The only time you may need a truck or 4WD is going down dirt roads with potholes and/or bumps. I don't have tires studs or chains and you really don't need them in the city. If you travel to certain places outside the city, you may be required to put chains on at certain times of the year.

16. Higher education is great - we have a community college, UCCS and other private colleges in town. There doens't seem to be an overwhelming amount of college students, though. I think this city is mixed well as far as ages. There are plenty of families, students and old people.

That's all I can think of for now. I don't have kids, so I can't comment on the schools and I don't follow politics. I just work, take care of my home, go to church and spend as much time as possible outside walking/hiking/jogging the trails. I'll miss it here, but more opportunities await us!

I liked your post. It seemed like a very honest and complete appraisal of your area. You seem like someone that one could only wish for, as a neighbor in this day and age.

I just wanted to add. I think the US including CS would be far better off, if the conservative and liberal balony came to an end. Especially when a locale takes on a reputation for either or. It keeps decent people that just live and let live, from ever really getting a comfort level in these places. Or it keeps them from ever moving there to begin with. Its really a shame in this country.

Thanks again for your nice review. Best of Luck in your new community.

Old 06-03-2012, 10:47 PM

36 posts, read 41,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinitylove View Post
THIS. All of it.
I'd also like to add that medical marijuana IS necessary for some people who cannot take narcotics....another one of the legal substances that is about a million times more addictive and dangerous than marijuana. Oh the irony.

It's so funny. The medication you can legally get is definitely worse than weed. Your 100% correct and people tend to forget that.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:33 AM

1 posts, read 2,596 times
Default Copd?

How is life in Colorado Springs when you suffer from COPD? We are planning on moving there in July or August. My husband has COPD, and he is 60 years old. I have heard that you get use to the lack of oxygen but what will it be like for COPD?

Old 06-12-2012, 04:08 PM

46 posts, read 336,619 times
My personal opinion... moved directly to Denver.

Don't get stuck in an overgrown town that thinks too highly of itself.
Everything (except rush-hour traffic) is better in Denver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs