Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2007, 09:36 PM

62 posts, read 427,133 times

Advertisements

Does anyone out there have any pictures you can add to this thread to show some of the scenery, city life, anything, residential neighborhoods, shopping areas/malls, parks, anything kid related --- any pictures you can add so I can get an idea of what it all looks like ??? During any of the seasons ?

I would REALLY appreciate it. Also, is it true what I am reading - that Colorado Springs gets more lightening strikes than anywhere in the U.S.A. ? Makes me a little concerned...I keep reading that someone's uncle or neighbor got hit....
When do all these storms take place - is it nonstop rain/storms during one particular season ? Any sun during this time frame ? Any details you can add on the weather (sun, storms, snow, cold, grey days) would be appreciated... Thanks so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 01:22 PM

122 posts, read 505,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keikekai View Post
Does anyone out there have any pictures you can add to this thread to show some of the scenery, city life, anything, residential neighborhoods, shopping areas/malls, parks, anything kid related --- any pictures you can add so I can get an idea of what it all looks like ??? During any of the seasons ?

I would REALLY appreciate it. Also, is it true what I am reading - that Colorado Springs gets more lightening strikes than anywhere in the U.S.A. ? Makes me a little concerned...I keep reading that someone's uncle or neighbor got hit....
When do all these storms take place - is it nonstop rain/storms during one particular season ? Any sun during this time frame ? Any details you can add on the weather (sun, storms, snow, cold, grey days) would be appreciated... Thanks so much

I am not currently living in COS, but based on my research (and my visits to COS and to similar regions) it does get more lightening strikes than any other part of the country. That is why Nicholas Tesla set up his electrical experiments back in the last century. Also being from an area with frequent lightning strikes, I do not think it is a big issue. Of course you do not want to be out in the middle of a golf course or open field during a lightning storm. If COS is anywhere like the rest of the high desert/mountainous SW, the storms usually occur during the late afternoon and do not last very long. Actually, often you can see lighting in the distance and it will be sunny where you are. Basically, the weather can change rapidly, so it is best to be prepared for many different weather conditions.

Also, according to the statistics, COS gets 300 days of sun per year, which is quite a bit. It helps explain why the winters are relatively mild.

Old 09-11-2007, 05:08 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,944,363 times
Ever hear of the term "dry lightning?" We have tons of that in Colorado. Thunderstorms without rain -- famous for starting summer wildfires. Of course, we have the kind of thunderstorms WITH rain too. In the summer, thunderstorms in the late afternoon are a frequent occurrence, but they tend to be very short lived. It can be sunny at 3pm, be cloudy and thundering at 4pm, and have it all gone by 6:30pm. Sometimes it's a bigger event than that, of course, but that's your run of the mill Colorado thunderstorm for you.

On the plus side, the storms tend to drop the temperature quite quickly, turning what was a 95 degree afternoon into a 70 degree evening.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:29 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,906,931 times
Quote:
resolution of 1280x800
I don't know if my image hoster will comply.

Wissler Ranch in Monument
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs