Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2007, 07:48 PM

24 posts, read 58,545 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband and I are looking to rent a house in December. We will be moving to COS from Anchorage Alaska and my husband will be working at Schriever air force base. What areas are good to look at? I like the older homes with a ton of character but worry that downtown may be not be the best decision. We would like to be near walking paths and/or hiking trails or maybe in walking distance to some great restaurants and shops. I just saw the pictures if the Briargate area on a previous thread and it looks very nice but the rent is a little high. We would like to stay around $800-$900 a month. A apartment is out of the question as we have a small dog that we would like to be able to let outside without walking 6 times a day! I also am not sure how far the areas are from Schriever. I am looking at a place downtown 3br 1ba house 2 car garage (pics) (broken link)
and mapquest shows a 30 min. commute from that area. Is that pretty accurate? Any thoughts or opinions will be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 12:46 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandynoel728 View Post
Hello,

My husband and I are looking to rent a house in December. We will be moving to COS from Anchorage Alaska and my husband will be working at Schriever air force base. What areas are good to look at? I like the older homes with a ton of character but worry that downtown may be not be the best decision. We would like to be near walking paths and/or hiking trails or maybe in walking distance to some great restaurants and shops. I just saw the pictures if the Briargate area on a previous thread and it looks very nice but the rent is a little high. We would like to stay around $800-$900 a month. A apartment is out of the question as we have a small dog that we would like to be able to let outside without walking 6 times a day! I also am not sure how far the areas are from Schriever. I am looking at a place downtown 3br 1ba house 2 car garage (pics) (broken link)
and mapquest shows a 30 min. commute from that area. Is that pretty accurate? Any thoughts or opinions will be appreciated!
I assume you don't have kids. The 30 minute number seems right. Plus he needs to add about 10-15 minutes getting from his car to his desk.

Sure, why not. You are close to downtown Colorado Springs, Tejon Street, Colorado College. Might not be walking distance but within a mile or two. Hiking trails are probably more like five to 15 miles.

Last edited by Charles; 09-23-2007 at 01:46 PM..

Old 09-23-2007, 01:15 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Mandy: Hello, hope you have a great move. Lots of downtown is full of older charming small homes with varying degrees of character. If you are military, don't they give you get a house hunting trip as part of the re-lo? If so, by all means get a realtor (I'm not one) and nail down an itinerary to see the areas all around town.

Meanwhile, there are a lot trails in and around town, scattered all over.

- City govt site, with maps of trails: City of Colorado Springs - Topic Pages
- Trail Map: Trail Map Page

Major trails in area & region: LocalHikes - Hikes and trails near Colorado Springs, Colorado

First person narrative on local hiking, with pix: HIKES IN COLORADO SPRINGS - Steve's List of Colorado Springs Hikes With Directions, Pictures And Tips

Lots of hiking here, from flat land to nearly straight up. Old RR trails run north-south parallel to I-25 for many miles, as well as east of town along Woodmen Rd and Hwy 24.

s/Mike

Old 09-23-2007, 05:03 PM

24 posts, read 58,545 times
Mike,

We do get premission to take extra leave(vaction time) for house hunting, but all the expenses are up to us. Plane tickets from Anchorage are running $550. With that in mind we are trying to find the best place to be in out price range before we arrive. It would be REALLY nice to have a place already waiting for us. We would just hate to commit and get there and realize that we should have lived somwhere else. We really want to be as close to base as we can but still live in a nice area, preferably an area that has character and is particularly safe. Also, would a realtor help us find a rental home?

Old 09-23-2007, 05:37 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandynoel728 View Post
Mike, ... would a realtor help us find a rental home?
Yes, most do, they might only get a tiny commission, but they hope to make a client of you someday for a purchase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
View detailed profiles of: