U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 06:04 AM

3,491 posts, read 5,393,851 times

Advertisements

You're going to laugh. It is so much better than Chicago, Denver, Minneapolis, or Portland. During rush hour you are generally driving at the speed limit. The difference is just that there are more cars around you. Any of the others routinely provide bumper to bumper, though of course LA and NYC can provide a whole new level of pain to drivers.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 09:05 AM

23,173 posts, read 42,375,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonotemo View Post
Im heading out to the springs in a couple weeks. I'm from NYC and I am anxious to see what "traffic" is like there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
You're going to laugh. It is so much better than Chicago, Denver, Minneapolis, or Portland. During rush hour you are generally driving at the speed limit. ...
Coming from DC / Fairfax County, VA, let me tell you, there is none of the "combat driving" here that you see in the big cities.

Was here THREE months before hearing the first horn honk, same for sirens. My wife heard sirens and horns all day where she worked back in DC, two blocks from the White House.

After being here a few months the reality of our lack of traffic finally set in one day and I really did find myself laughing uncontrollably when 9AM rush hour on Briargate Pkwy turned out to be all of 5 cars - on a six lane thoroughfare.

You're gonna love it here.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:32 PM

3,133 posts, read 10,206,332 times
Some of the on ramps onto I25 suck (Fillmore, and Cimmaron come to mind) during rush hour but that's the only thing that bothers me. They are too short and cause a bottle neck.

Go up to a Rockies game on a Friday evening at 5pm and you'll come to appreciate Colorado Springs traffic. I know Denver traffic isn't that bad compared to the other big metro areas, but damn I'm glad I don't live there!

Old 06-04-2012, 05:14 PM

6,121 posts, read 8,320,054 times
I know it is funny, but my usual work schedule puts me a little ahead of rush hour. If for some reason I'm actually driving at 7:30 or 8 instead of 6:30 or 7, the car volume can be a shock to my system. Yes, the driving time is still about the same, but it is harder to merge, change lanes, exit, etc., when there are more cars. But no, it is nothing like urban rush hours that don't rush at all.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:08 PM

74 posts, read 183,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonotemo View Post
Im heading out to the springs in a couple weeks. I'm from NYC and I am anxious to see what "traffic" is like there.
I spent from Thursday thru Sunday in COS, back in November. Drove around practically constantly and covered A LOT of ground.

I am from Austin, TX...and I gotta tell ya. Didn;t see any traffic worth complaining about it.
There was a slight delay (like 3 minutes) on the highway because we happened to be passing the exit for the Air Force Academy's football stadium about 45 minuted before kickoff. That is a big event there and if it only tripped me up a few minutes...I'm one happy Austinite!

Old 06-05-2012, 04:59 PM

34,166 posts, read 14,364,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
Some of the on ramps onto I25 suck (Fillmore, and Cimmaron come to mind) during rush hour but that's the only thing that bothers me. They are too short and cause a bottle neck.

Go up to a Rockies game on a Friday evening at 5pm and you'll come to appreciate Colorado Springs traffic. I know Denver traffic isn't that bad compared to the other big metro areas, but damn I'm glad I don't live there!
Two things in this regard. First, Colorado is totally inconsistent about whether an expressway ramp is going to be a cloverleaf or a left turn onto the expressway. That would be okay if they put up signs in advance letting you know, but often they don't. And there are a couple of local places where they say right lane for I-25, you get in the right lane, and then the right lane ends before the expressway. Duh!

Second, I love Colorado people, but there are so many who simply don't understand the concept of a merge lane. Either they just pull out into the main line of traffic without even looking, or they come to a dead stop, rather than slowly pulling into and up the merge lane.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:02 AM

Sorry phetoroi! I think I failed once or twice as I was adjusting to the different way traffic is handled. See, where I am currently you know to change lanes when a cow is standing ahead of you.

Maybe it's not quite that bad, but some of it may take getting used to and there were an enormous number of out of state plates. It's not like CS is on the boarder either. It just happens to be a place worth visiting, and our current home is not.

Out of curiosity: Why is Manitou so expensive? The same house goes for so much more in Manitou. I understand that the area is more liberal, but that does not explain the difference in house prices. Is it a desire for others to be close to the mountains? There has to be some reason that people are paying more to buy a house there rather than buy a very similar house on the other side of the city.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:14 AM

6,121 posts, read 8,320,054 times
Because there is no room for growth in Manitou - it is locked by mountains. Everything there is old or remodeled and there is very limited space. So lots people want to live in a very small space - high demand, limited supply = higher price

Old 06-06-2012, 02:47 PM

930 posts, read 1,451,498 times
Manitou is a desirable location.

Old 06-06-2012, 04:40 PM

I was curious about what made it SO desirable. I understand economics, I don't understand what is driving the demand. It seems like a nice area--and one I would be very attracted to if it were only 5-7% above the rest of the market, but it seems to be more like 30-60% depending on the part of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs