U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 05:54 PM

930 posts, read 1,444,189 times

Advertisements

I'm sure a lot has to do with what part of Manitou. Manitou proper I found, in my house search, which ended in November, wasn't that much different than Colorado Springs. If you go up into Crystal Park, though, the views are outstanding, and I'd love to have lived in that area. Alas, we didn't find what we wanted there. Also, keep in mind I believe Cedar Heights is considered Manitou, and that's the area that has $300+ HoA fees a month. Great area, I see lots of Parade of Homes up there.

There's a certain old-timey (like otowi said), quirky, funky feel in Manitou that appeals to quite a bit of people. Sure, many of the houses may not have the nicest and latest conveniences, and the houses certainly won't be very air-tight, but it has a vibe that's appealing to lots. Also, you have Garden of the Gods in your backyard, you are really tucked into the mountains, and really neat red rocks in your backyard! Some houses are built into the red rocks.

You wouldn't be able to pay me to live on Ruxton Avenue, though, with all the traffic from the Incline!!

Last edited by hollyt00; 06-06-2012 at 05:54 PM.. Reason: added something
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 06:22 PM

6,046 posts, read 8,243,579 times
About the houses not being air-tight - that reminds me of when my brother and his wife lived in Manitou - it was their very first home together and it was a tiny place with a loft for a bedroom. It was cute as could be - rather cabin-like, but on a steep hill that wasn't so easy to travel in winter snow, but the main thing was that there was SO MUCH DUST in there - it was like someone went through and blew a handful of dirt through a fan every day or something. Still, I think it was a great first house for a young couple starting out.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:10 AM

641 posts, read 2,100,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
I was curious about what made it SO desirable. I understand economics, I don't understand what is driving the demand. It seems like a nice area--and one I would be very attracted to if it were only 5-7% above the rest of the market, but it seems to be more like 30-60% depending on the part of town.
I think part of the appeal is just that it's kinda' quaint. It's a picturesque-ey, mountain-ey town, and all that. In the winter, round' Christmas, when there's snow on the ground, it looks like a postcard. That's all I got!!

Old 06-07-2012, 11:04 AM

Ha, Otowi, in my 115 year old house, my curtains blow with my "shut" windows whenever it's windy outside. It always looks like I don't clean my house with the dust and dirt on the window sills

Old 06-07-2012, 06:13 PM

2 posts, read 3,890 times
Oh this sounds so familiar! My husband, daughter and I moved to Colorado Springs in August 2011. My husband relocated his very successful business and I left my job of 20 years to relocate to beautiful COS. We cannot get out of there fast enough. There are no good paying jobs, everyone we've met has been nice on the surface but very pretentious, and if you're not devoutly religious or affiliated with the Air Force... Forget it. The pace is so slow, no one will make a decision for 6-12 months, and business is done "old boy style." There's even a club downtown that doesn't allow women, where the old boys network makes the decisions for the town. They're cancelling the only public transportation link to Denver and can't manage to bring in any new industries to build the economy, except WalMart. They won't get rid of the homeless problems (pan handling etc.) Yes, they have a homeless problem, but won't admit it.

We're breaking our lease to move to Denver where I could find a job, and people are down to earth and genuine. I wish you and your family well, but good luck. The business community is very closed off, but won't tell you that until they've bled you dry and kicked you to the curb. When you hear the saying, "we're the biggest small town" and "if you can make it here, you can make it anywhere" it really means, get out.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:00 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,676,054 times
Sounds like someone doesn't fit in...

Old 06-08-2012, 09:14 AM

I'm sorry you've had those experiences... most of my friends aren't affiliated with the Air Force, and if they are devoutly religious, they haven't really shared that with me. I agree with Ryanek- sounds like maybe you were surrounded by the same type of people and didn't fit in well. Good luck in Denver!

I can't imagine Colorado Springs has ignored the homeless problem- you came out in August so you missed all of the homeless that were around the winter before... camps all over the place... you pretty much missed all of the problem-solving and the huge gains that were made in the Springs with regards to that specific issue.

But if you don't like it here, you don't like it here, nothing would change that.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:31 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,676,054 times
`Yea, they didn't ignore the problem, they shipped them all to Denver!! LOL! You should have seen it a few years ago when all of Fountain Creek along I-25 was a giant shanty town.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:24 AM

2,139 posts, read 5,909,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsphankins View Post
Oh this sounds so familiar! My husband, daughter and I moved to Colorado Springs in August 2011. My husband relocated his very successful business and I left my job of 20 years to relocate to beautiful COS. We cannot get out of there fast enough. There are no good paying jobs, everyone we've met has been nice on the surface but very pretentious, and if you're not devoutly religious or affiliated with the Air Force... Forget it. The pace is so slow, no one will make a decision for 6-12 months, and business is done "old boy style." There's even a club downtown that doesn't allow women, where the old boys network makes the decisions for the town. They're cancelling the only public transportation link to Denver and can't manage to bring in any new industries to build the economy, except WalMart. They won't get rid of the homeless problems (pan handling etc.) Yes, they have a homeless problem, but won't admit it.
Much of this is true!

Old 06-08-2012, 01:47 PM

812 posts, read 1,310,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsphankins View Post
There's even a club downtown that doesn't allow women, where the old boys network makes the decisions for the town.
This is true, as I'm sure your experience/post is for you personally, though it doesn't quite capture the whole story. You'll need to live in a town far longer than a year or two to get a more complete sample-size before you can really understand a place. The club downtown, of which I'm not a member, is the "oldest" club of its sort west of the Mississippi River, so they're pretty set in their ways. They do allow women, just not women "members." I circulate in the same professional circles as these guys and I've come to grasp that the "decisions for the town" are not in fact made by the geezers in this downtown club sitting around with their Manhattan highballs, but rather by their wives, who belong to a different "club" which doesn't allow men. I won't even name their club, it's that exclusive (and amusingly silly). I should also note the "decisions for the town" are not made by people who are particularly religous or affiliated with the Air Force Academy in any way I perceive.

I challenge you to go to any town of similar size to Colorado Springs and NOT find pretentious people with their Ivy League pedigree and old money. As a public school guy from Kindergarten through grad school, I agree it's ridiculous, but one must let them have their fun. What else do they have, after all? They're really not all that bad once you've given them awhile to get used to you. Longer than a year or two.

The exact same old-boy / old-girls network exists in Denver, though it's somewhat less perceptible at first due to the interference caused by Denver's sheer size. Good luck in Denver! Traffic is pretty bad, but it's a great place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs