Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 02:25 PM

20,201 posts, read 14,425,887 times

Advertisements

Having lived in places near certain bodies of water, gotta say the lack of that here might be one reason we don't have a lot of bugs. I'm thinking of the mosquitos in VA, Mike you know what I'm talkin' about...still though I like it fine here, I'll never feel like a native. VA is where my roots are at, that's just how it is. But this isn't a bad stage on the journey, especially given the Army could've sent us somewhere like Oklahoma *shudder!*...or Alaska...no thanks! And it's certainly more interesting here than Iowa!! But then most places are, unless you're a butter sculpture afficionado. o.O
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 02:48 PM

26,111 posts, read 48,696,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Having lived in places near certain bodies of water, gotta say the lack of that here might be one reason we don't have a lot of bugs. I'm thinking of the mosquitos in VA, Mike you know what I'm talkin' about...still though I like it fine here, I'll never feel like a native. VA is where my roots are at, that's just how it is. But this isn't a bad stage on the journey, especially given the Army could've sent us somewhere like Oklahoma *shudder!*...or Alaska...no thanks! And it's certainly more interesting here than Iowa!! But then most places are, unless you're a butter sculpture afficionado. o.O
Oh yes, do I ever....and termites....and roaches....

I'm not going back unless I hit a lottery and can get a huge waterfront home with massive boat.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-05-2012, 03:46 PM

Well, I have a lot of family in Fredericksburg and friends in Richmond, so that's what has been calling me...I'm actually going back for a 10 day visit in August (omg it's gonna be HOT)...but there is a music festival and giant BBQ event being held in Richmond by my favorite metal band and then my family is heading down to NC to the Outer Banks for a week. I'm so excited I can hardly contain myself! It's going to be a blast! I grew up in the DC sprawl, in Woodbridge/Dale City...those places I would never want to live in again, but Richmond is developing quite a little culture scene I've got my eye on, and I've always liked Charlottesville. They've renovated some old tobacco warehouses into industrial loft apartments in RVA, with swimming pools and fitness centers, the works! But until the kids are grown, it's nothin' but a dream...

Still like I said, just because I've got my eye on that doesn't mean I dislike it where I'm at. Always trying to make the most of today, after all.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:36 PM

26,111 posts, read 48,696,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Well, I have a lot of family in Fredericksburg and friends in Richmond, so that's what has been calling me...I'm actually going back for a 10 day visit in August (omg it's gonna be HOT)...but there is a music festival and giant BBQ event being held in Richmond by my favorite metal band and then my family is heading down to NC to the Outer Banks for a week. I'm so excited I can hardly contain myself! It's going to be a blast! I grew up in the DC sprawl, in Woodbridge/Dale City...those places I would never want to live in again, but Richmond is developing quite a little culture scene I've got my eye on, and I've always liked Charlottesville. They've renovated some old tobacco warehouses into industrial loft apartments in RVA, with swimming pools and fitness centers, the works! But until the kids are grown, it's nothin' but a dream...

Still like I said, just because I've got my eye on that doesn't mean I dislike it where I'm at. Always trying to make the most of today, after all.
Be sure to eat some crabcakes for me!
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:49 PM

727 posts, read 1,359,195 times
Sonic - We moved from Fredericksburg to COS about 20 months ago, after having lived in Fred and Alexandria most of the previous 28 years or so. Fred's a nice little town, but we're so happy to be out of that entire region. Maybe your memory has become a bit selective over time. All I remember is the heat in the summer combined with the humidity make it just plain unbearable to be outside most of the time in the summer. And the mosquitos...don't get me started. Then there's the traffic on I-25. There are delays almost any time of the day or night (that's when the road crews pinch off lanes to do maintenance). Those delays can mean crawling along in stop and go traffic for 20 miles. Then you can add hurricanes and the occasional tornado to the mix...

Richmond has come a long way in recent years and I don't think it has the same traffic issues, so that would definitely be something to look at. Charlottesville is very nice and if I were dragged kicking and scream back to that area, it would be probably at the top of my list of places to consider.

One thing you should definitely check out if go back to the Fred area is the Packard Center out on Route 3 just before you get to Culpeper. It's part of the Library of Congress and it's their film, video and audio restoration facility and archive. They built a '30s style movie theater in the facility and they show restored movies there from their collection every weekend. They've even brought in live piano players to play during the silent movies they show on occasion. When we first started going, you could just walk in and there would only be a few folks in attendance. Now, you need reservations and each show is full, and, they don't charge admission.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:53 AM

That's pretty cool! Yeah, don't think I'd want to live in Fredericksburg either...it'd be either RVA or Charlottesville for me. When I was a kid, Fredericksburg was the middle of nowhere...really out in the country. Now, it's built up as bad as Woodbridge was back then. I hardly recongnize it, although my Dad's neighborhood looks exactly the same...think it's called Enchanted Woods or some such, it's out Rte 3 off of Gordon, almost Spotsylvania I believe. My stepmom runs a little consignment shop out that way on Rte 3 too.

I've been back for visits every few years, usually in the summer. Yeah, it's crazy hot and humid, but it's what I grew up with...air like hot syrup is what summer is supposed to feel like, to me. I love the sound of the cicada and the smell of honeysuckle and whatever other wild vegetation it is I smell when I'm there, driving woodsy back roads on a summer night. No place else I have been smells like that. And the fall...my favorite season...well. Yeah.

But seriously LOL enough of my sentimental nonsense...what I need to do is get out here in CoS more. I have GOT to get myself over to Manitou and Old Colorado City. Small business and artsy stuff, that's totally my scene. Gotta check it out.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:07 PM

727 posts, read 1,359,195 times
Sonic - If the artsy scene is what you like (we do as well), don't leave out the galleries downtown, particularly those under the I-25 Colorado Boulevard overpass; take a right just as you're heading across I-25. For live jazz, check out Motif, a martini bar in OCC, with decent food. Try lunch at Cucaru (sp?); it's a gallery with a South American/Cuban vibe, on Colorado Blvd (next to Front Range BBQ, also good).

Air like hot syrup; yep, that's what I remember, but not so fondly.

The area off Route 3 around Gordon Road is still pretty unspoiled; though the 'burbs are moving in that direction. With the housing market the way it is, a bunch of developers lost a lot of money banking on the sprawl extending all the way from Fred to Culpeper. I think that areas's not going to change much in the foreseeable future.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:44 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,066,538 times
Update: For anyone moving here

It is important to know your rental options. I recommend visiting once before you move and checking out the rental scene. We are so glad we did, because it allowed us to have a list of our top options and who to talk to at each place. Rents are negotiable. This is a big city with a ton of competition. Don't get your heart set on one apartment complex.

Day 17 and we are thrilled. I can hardly believe we've been counting down from about day 150 :P.

Old 07-08-2012, 02:59 AM

563 posts, read 1,265,740 times
Rents are negotiable?

I've never heard that....

Old 07-08-2012, 08:59 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,066,538 times
They most certainly can be negotiated. We were looking at apartments in the 700-1100 range. If you are coming in as a potential tenant when they have more than one unit vacant you have a real opportunity to press for good pricing. You just have to be willing to walk away, and make sure they understand that you are open to other options. If you don't believe me, go visit an apartment on a saturday, and have a friend go on sunday. Tell them your budget is 1000 per month, and have your friend say his or her max is 925. Watch how the rents line up with your budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs