Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 09:38 AM

21 posts, read 47,946 times

Advertisements

We are moving to the Springs area from DC and need some advice on where to live......

We have an 8 year old son so schools are important also-

Is the area gay-friendly.....

We are a tad worried.....THANKS!

Pam and Lauren

Old 09-23-2007, 09:41 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PammyB View Post
We are moving to the Springs area from DC and need some advice on where to live......

Pam and Lauren
What is your housing budget or rental budget?
Where (location) will you be working?
D12, D20, and D38 usually are mentioned as having decent schools.

Old 09-23-2007, 11:13 AM

835 posts, read 2,856,442 times
no pun intended colorado springs is probably not the area a gay couple would want to live it is more the place with preachers that yell at you lol so i wudnt move there lol

Old 09-23-2007, 11:15 AM

835 posts, read 2,856,442 times
u driving from dc? thats a long way my grandparents live there its 2200 mi trip to tha springs area if u made that in under 30hrs u'd be making sweet timing!!!

Old 09-23-2007, 11:36 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthamove View Post
(1) no pun intended colorado springs is probably not the area a gay couple would want to live it is more the place with preachers that yell at you lol so i wudnt move there lol (2) u driving from dc? thats a long way my grandparents live there its 2200 mi trip to tha springs area if u made that in under 30hrs u'd be making sweet timing!!!
(1) More like 1700 miles, did it the other year when we moved here from Fairfax County, VA, just 25 miles west of DC. Mapquest says 1661 from DC to the Springs. It's either 2 long days of driving or 3 easy days of 550 miles/day, stopping at a reasonable hour to eat, check in, get a shower and have a few beers while watching a bit of TV to unwind from the highway. We did the 3 day drive. Depends on how well an 8 year old tolerates long days in a car, or if there's a need to break it up with frequent stops. BTDT

(2) Sorry to bust your chops, onthemove, but you're spouting the usual stereotypes about religion that don't really fit. Those sorts of claims are way overblown. You're only 18, only made a few short trips here and don't have a lot of on the ground experience to support your remarks. I believe this city is a good deal more tolerant than many people think.

s/Mike

Last edited by Mike from back east; 09-23-2007 at 12:28 PM..

Old 09-23-2007, 11:57 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
I don't think the original poster is asking about driving here. But if she is, then for the kid, get one of those portable DVD players for the car. Get a bunch of DVDs from the library and burn them using DVD Shrink. In fact, you can sometimes fit two movies on one DVD with a little compression. Or, if you have a laptop with some space, just use DVD shrink to make DVD images (stored on the hard drive) - that's what I do for airplane rides. Use Daemon Tools to mount the DVD image and view the DVD with your favorite player (like Windows Media Player).

Sometimes Disney DVDs have copy protection that even DVD Shrink can't deal with. If that happens use Rip It For Me. It never fails. Never. You also need DVD Decrypter for Rip It For Me. (I noticed Rip It For Me is hard to find lately....)

All are free:

DVD Shrink: Shrink your DVDs to fit DVDR!

THE DAEMONS HOME

DVD Decrypter v3.5.4.0 (freeware)

Old 09-23-2007, 12:09 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,780,050 times
Quote:

Pam and Lauren
No, lol, you cannot have piced a wose place to move for gay friendly. Try Boulder

Old 09-23-2007, 12:19 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,975,932 times
It's not as bad as all that. Yes, CS is conservative -- you can't have four large military installations in one town and not be conservative. But there are more than one side to the town.

If you do opt for CS, try living in Old Colorado City or Manitou Springs. That's probably the most bohemian area of town.

That being said, there would be other cities in Colorado, namely Boulder or the city of Denver that would probably be more understanding and welcoming.

Old 09-23-2007, 12:21 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,780,050 times
Quote:

Pam and Lauren
No, lol, you cannot have picked a worse place to move for gay friendly. Try Boulder.

Old 09-23-2007, 12:21 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
No, lol, you cannot have piced a worse place to move for gay friendly. Try Boulder
There may be better places in CO than the springs, but I think this town is not really unfriendly. I've been here 2.5 years, not seen much of anything that would make me think that. Not sure how long you were here, as I recall, it was very short. I do recall the Mayor would not endorse the annual Gay Pride Day, which is a shame, as he is mayor of ALL citizens here, but he gets a lot of his Republican votes from the Focus crowd up on the north end.

Denver or Boulder would probably be better suited, but not sure that is an option for the O.P. For living here, I'd suggest Old Colorado City or Manitou as being more diverse, and I would suggest the O.P. google up local GLBT resources around town and inquire of them, they'd know best. IMO, there is a lot more "diversity" in the springs than the usual stereotypes allow for.

Respectully,
Mike from back east
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs