Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 09:21 AM

8 posts, read 13,474 times

Advertisements

My husband was offered a job with a start date in August in Colorado Springs. We have packed up our current house and put it on the market and have made all of the arrangements for this cross country move. We are now sitting in horror watching the fires in the area burning out of control and displacing so many people. It is no secret that a decent job is hard to come by...he has been searching for over a year, so this was a wonderful opportunity for us. I guess my main question would be...do any of you think that there will even be any available (rental) housing for newcomers with so many natives being displaced? On a more opinionated level...if this was you/your family (we have two small children) would you continue with the move or just hope another job will come along in a place that is not dealing with such a huge disaster?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 09:49 AM

19 posts, read 65,381 times
The rental market will certainly be tighter with fewer homes to choose from. If the job is right and the area is as well, then I would do it. There will be rentals available. If you have the funds available you may need to offer to pay 6 or more months up front to secure the place you want. Best of luck!

Old 06-28-2012, 10:05 AM

121 posts, read 199,118 times
I'd still move. Disasters can happen anywhere.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:18 AM

727 posts, read 1,365,923 times
There appears from the latest news reports that 300 homes were destroyed when the fire roared down the foothills. The area was a particular subdivision, Mountain Shadows, that is at the far western edge of town. There are still a lot of folks who have been evacuated as a precaution, but my guess is that once authorities feel the danger has passed (and it appears that the fire is moving northward away from that area right now) that most will be allowed to return to their homes within the next few days. So, yes, with 300 families most likely in need of temporary housing, the rental market will be tight, but IMO, if you have a job waiting for you here, there's absolutely no reason not to come. This is a great place to live and that hasn't changed.

I grew up in SoCal, where fires similar to this are a way of life. I've seen some pretty scary fires (my sister and her family almost lost their home in the big 2003 San Diego fire (I think there were 1200 houses lost, if I'm not mistaken). The tragedy of losing one's home is heart rending, but houses and lives get rebuilt, and the residents persevere, hopefully a bit wiser (i.e., clear underbrush away from your home; be prepared to evacuate on a moment's notice, as wild fires are notoriously unpredictable and dangerous, etc.). But even in that fire, only a relatively small portion of San Diego county burned and the city remained intact and life went on. Once the shock wears off and the folks who need help begin to rebuild their lives, that will happen here too.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:22 AM

46 posts, read 118,289 times
I see that you are coming from Columbia. I came from Columbia to the Springs a year and a half ago. Best thing we did for our family. Do not give up this opportunity! Worst case scenario would be to rent an apt. month to month until you find more desirable housing.
We have since moved to Denver to be closer to family, but Colorado Springs is full of so many outdoor activities and is a great place to raise a family. Last summer we were gone from the house every chance we got to play outside and enjoy the beautiful scenery. That is something we never experienced in Cola.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:28 PM

26,210 posts, read 49,022,743 times
ABSOLUTELY do come here. Most of the town is not situated on those westside foothills areas that burned, and there are thousands of homes available in MLS, all over town.

Tell us more about what you want and need here, approx job location, or look in the index of threads for key topics that already contain a wealth of info.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:02 PM

8 posts, read 13,474 times
I am more concerned about the local people than anything...definitely want to make that clear. We are a family of modest means and we are looking to make a better life for our family. My husband is a disabled veteran who was lucky enough to go to and graduate college. I had to give up my career in the medical field (which required travel) as the children got older. When we visited Colorado Springs in early May we fell in LOVE. The job he has been offered is in a more southeastern area of the springs and as of today they are all ok (thank goodness!). The part of the Springs we loved most is the the part that is in so much danger. I thank you all so very much for your responses and encouragement. Thank you all for responding. I honestly think we will continue on in this endeavor. Our only hesitation is the air quality etc since we will be bringing our young children. We really want to have the mountain life and live among people who are of a tolerant nature. I currently live in Columbia SC and do not have the same happy welcome feel we had when we were visiting. Both myself and my husband have lived in major metropolitan areas (think face eating people) and we want a wonderful place for our kids...build friendships etc I just don't want to take up any extra space that the people in COS may need while they figure things out.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:44 PM

352 posts, read 797,396 times
It's so thoughtful of you to be concerned about the current COS residents. In my opinion, that suggests that you are kindhearted folks who will easily make lasting friends. Also, it is inevitable that some people may choose to leave the area if they had/are having a particularly traumatic experience. And, with the military presence being what it is, your husband will likely be respected and honored for his service. As long as you remain sensitive to current events and recognize that you are coming into the region at a very unsettled time, you should do just fine.

The outpouring of support for fire victims is huge right now. This kind of experience can sometimes open many hearts and melt away the differences that tend to keep us apart. It's quite possible that a new sense of community will be forged in certain areas of CO Springs.

Old 06-29-2012, 01:14 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,570,310 times
If your husband will be working on the southeast side of town, you'll have a lot of housing to choose from on the east side of town. To get an idea of where the fire destroyed homes, here's a map of the fire area. As you can see, it's on the far west side of town. 95% of the city is safe, and the air quality will improve as the fire is contained. Officials expect to have the fire out by mid-July.

Waldo Canyon Fire and Mandatory Evacuations: Colorado Springs Gazette, CO

Old 06-29-2012, 02:09 PM

930 posts, read 1,654,157 times
I have always liked, and sometimes loved Colorado Springs- I've always been proud to live here. However, in the moments after the fire even began- even before the catastrophic firestorm that occurred on Tuesday- I was overwhelmed with pride and love for my city. Before anyone began asking for help, offers for help were pouring in. People willing to open their houses to complete strangers- for the people, for their pets. A group of students from my HS went to Care and Share to volunteer and were turned away because of the incredible amount of help already offered.

Certainly we have our own share of jackasses, people who are taking advantage of those who are lost, but the community spirit is absolutely there, and I am so proud to say I live in Colorado Springs, I am so proud to see the love and support my community unconditionally offered to those who need it.

The problem with the news media is that it looks like the entire city was burning. I, like many others in the Springs, likely were watching with horror and terror on Tuesday night and wondering if the fire was going to encroach even further- however, what Marcy says is true. 5% of the city was affected through evacuations, and many of us are smelling smoke; the smoke won't last forever, and soon new houses will crop up and new memories made.

Come visit and see how great our town is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs