Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 06:25 PM

18 posts, read 86,714 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering a move to the Penrose area from New England. We are both from the west and need to move back for our sanity. We are horse folks and wish to buy a small house with some acreage for our four horses.
We've been told that we should check out Penrose so here we are asking for any opinions good or bad. Our price range is mid 300's or we may rent if we could find a place that would take horses. We are semi retired so we don't need to be right next to a city but would like to be within driving range to a hospital. Did I mention we have horses?
Input appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 09:20 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,138,059 times
I have been through Penrose many times on my way to Canon City. There do seem to be many smaller acreage horse properties there. There is not much of a town - perhaps just a gas station or two, a couple diners, feed store. Its pretty close to Canon City (maybe 10 minutes), which does have real grocery stores, a hospital, etc.
Another nice place for horse property is Black Forest, which is just north of Colorado Springs. Probably the weather is harsher in Black Forest since its higher in elevation. And its probably more pricey than Penrose, but you could probably still find something in your price range.

Old 12-28-2008, 09:37 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,138,059 times
Oh, I probably should add that here in Colorado, you will most likely have to supply hay for your horses year round. The grass here is not the lush thick stuff like you probably have in the New England area. Hay gets more expensive each year, currently about 9 dollars a bale for small bales (65 pound bales). Its probably much cheaper if you get the large round or square bales, but you would need the proper equipment to move those ones around.

Old 12-28-2008, 04:47 PM

Thanks Beezle1,

Hay availability and price are important. You're right about it being lush here. Too lush for our guys so we end up feeding most year round but still it sounds spendy there.

We'll put that on our list of things to check on our next visit.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:18 AM

Thanks CK,

The whole "water rights" thing is new to me so we're checking on it to get a better understanding. Something about 30 plus acres gets you irrigation rights otherwise you only get home usage water. Important stuff if you have critters.

Riding from the property would definitely be a plus.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:09 AM

26,111 posts, read 48,696,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corky's Dad View Post
Thanks CK,

The whole "water rights" thing is new to me so we're checking on it to get a better understanding. Something about 30 plus acres gets you irrigation rights otherwise you only get home usage water. Important stuff if you have critters.

Riding from the property would definitely be a plus.
There's a lot in the COLO forums on water rights and such. Find them by use of the Advanced Search Tool, it's easy to self-learn. Use keywords such as: water rights, ditch, senior rights, etc, and combinations of those words. Then limit the search to just Colorado forums.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:07 PM

1 posts, read 5,125 times
You would very much like Penrose. I happen to live near there and plan to move there by next year. I have 6 horses myself. You will defineitely find what you are looking for in that price range. There is both dry land and irrigated properties to buy or grow your own hay. There are plenty of people who are willing to use their equipment and cut your hay for a reasonable price. The $9.00 average a bail is a farce. I get mine for anywhere from $5.00 to $6.50. The most I've personally seen it for is $7.00. You can get large rounds for anywhere from $85.00 to $135.00 and they weigh from 850 pounds to 1600 pounds. There are also 3 x 3 x 8 square and 4x 4 x 8 square bales ranging from $65.00 to $95.00. There is excellent quality hay around here. Grass, grass/alfalfa and straight alfalfa, whatever you prefer. Also, check out Florence and Canon City. These are all in the same vicinity of each other and all in the "banana belt" which means mild, mild winters.

This is a great real estate website for the area you're looking at. Check out "Properties of Colorado". It is a real estate company for Fremont County which includes Penrose, Florence, Canon City and surrounding close areas. You can see everything for sale in the area. Their website includes the entire area and also includes all of the properties by every realtor in the area. It is a one stop shop website for all of the county. Good luck and I know you will find what you are looking for there. Also some interesting information. Fremont County encompasses an area of 1,533 square miles with a population of 47,426.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 08-17-2009 at 01:30 PM.. Reason: Merged 2:1

Old 08-18-2009, 07:29 AM

5 posts, read 13,569 times
Another area that is popular for horses is Colorado City & Rye. It is 20 minutes South of Pueblo at the base of Greenhorn Mountain. Has 5 acre properties for horses and easement for riding as well.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:57 AM

2 posts, read 7,464 times
Default Corkey's Dad

I live in Penrose and must tell you that it's a terrific place to live if you have horses. Penrose is in the Banana belt so the weather is mild. If you purchase horse property make sure you purchase irrigated property. Without irrigation you will buy hay, with irrigation you can grow your own and pay someone probably on your block to cut and bale it. [ mod cut ]

Last edited by Mike from back east; 04-24-2011 at 01:08 PM.. Reason: Links to realtor sites not allowed in the forums.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:16 PM

2 posts, read 7,464 times
Default corky's dad

[quote=Horse property;18863647]I live in Penrose and must tell you that it's a terrific place to live if you have horses. Penrose is in the Banana belt so the weather is mild. If you purchase horse property make sure you purchase irrigated property. Without irrigation you will buy hay, with irrigation you can grow your own and pay someone probably on your block to cut and bale it.

If you grow your own which I do, your hay field is lush as NY which is where I am from. I moved to Penrose 3 years ago from Long Island. I have a 5 acre horse farm of which 3 acres are grass hay for the first cut and grass/alfalfa mix for the next 2 cuttings. If your lucky enough to get a 4th cut it is primarily grass. I own 5 shares of ditch water, what that means is that I receive 37.5 continuous hours of water. The amount of waterings you get depends on the amount of rain and snow you had over the winter. Last year I got 4 waterings which is 4 cuttings. The idea of deep watering is that your field looks like a rice patty when your water is turned off. It takes 3 to 4 days for the water to seep into the ground. 2 months later its 5 foot high and ready to cut. To water, fertilize, cut, and bale cost about 3.75 per bale. Here in Penrose you can buy nice grass hay anywhere form 5.00 to 8.00 per bale depending on the amount of moisture we had. Last year I ended up with about 420 bales which feeds my horses (2) and (2) mini donkey's year round. I turn them out after the last cutting and I bring them back in at the first sight of snow. I bring them in when it rains and every night during that period. My reasoning is that I don't want hoof prints in the dirt when its wet and I don't want the horses to pull the grass from the roots when it gets to short. Maybe thats why my hay comes back year after year.

Black Forest is much more expensive than Penrose. Taxes are higher, price of farms, sales taxes, and yes Hay. Black Forest is beautiful and you could probably find 1 acre in your price range. Here in Penrose you can find 5 acre done complete horse farms for that price with irrigation shares.

[mod cut]

Horse property.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 04-25-2011 at 08:44 PM.. Reason: Realtor Advertising
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs