U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2012, 11:10 PM

16 posts, read 20,597 times

Advertisements

My husband is a retired Marine, I heard today that if you get 50% or more retirement you don't have to pay for plates or to get the vehicle registered. Does anyone know if this is true? And if so, how do we go about acting on this?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 09:36 AM

596 posts, read 1,450,056 times
You're probably referring to 50% or more Service-Connected Disability...if so, that is true.

Here is a link for more info: Department of Revenue - Division of Motor Vehicles:Military Plates

Have a great day!

Old 10-20-2012, 01:20 AM

346 posts, read 487,110 times
Please note that the 50% or more VA disability rating must be PERMANENT. For retirees under 65, such a rating would be highly unusual since the VA likes to keep their option of reducing the rating open. You can check your VA award letter for the "total and permanent" designation to see if you qualify.

Old 10-20-2012, 10:57 AM

2,221 posts, read 4,975,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMac View Post
Please note that the 50% or more VA disability rating must be PERMANENT. For retirees under 65, such a rating would be highly unusual since the VA likes to keep their option of reducing the rating open. You can check your VA award letter for the "total and permanent" designation to see if you qualify.
There would appear to be nothing at all unusual about having a qualifying disability, judging by the large numbers of "DV" disabled vet plates I see around town here.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post
There would appear to be nothing at all unusual about having a qualifying disability, judging by the large numbers of "DV" disabled vet plates I see around town here.
There's nothing unusual about having a VA disability rating, it is just rare to have them be permanent right from the beginning. The VA normally reserves the right to reexamine and adjust your rating depending on the results of the exams. After a rating has been in place 10 years they cannot sever the service connection from the condition (i.e., they can take you from 10%, say, to 0% for a particular condition based on exam results but it will still show as a service connected condition and the rating can be adjusted upward later on if your condition worsens). After 20 years your disability rating is set in stone and cannot be reduced. Only then would most ratings be permanent.

So, even though my husband meets the 50% threshold for his disability rating (and then some) it will be 18 more years before we will qualify for the DV plates at no cost.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:54 PM

16 posts, read 20,597 times
Well, my husband was in for 20 years and it's been about 15 years since he's been out. i believe he gets almost 100%.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by our2jrts View Post
Well, my husband was in for 20 years and it's been about 15 years since he's been out. i believe he gets almost 100%.
Unless his award letter says the rating is permanent it can still be changed any time in the next 5 years and doesn't meet the permanent requirement for the DV plate yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs