Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 08:05 AM

5 posts, read 28,433 times

Advertisements

We are moving our family of 4 from Memhpis to COS as soon as our house sells! Memphis is a really crummy place to live (and that's putting it nicely). The crime has gotten so out of control we don't feel safe anywhere - we've been ranked 2nd only to LA in violent crime in the nation. We're ready to get out of the city, and closer to nature, and just want a better community for our children (3 and 5) to grow up in.

Anyway, my husband works for FedEx and requested a transfer to the FedEx Tech Center out there. I have been reasearching the area, and Manitou Springs seems so beautiful and peaceful.

Can anyone give me more info about it? We want to be as close to the mountains as possible. We are conservative Christians, and want to get plugged into a good Christian community.

So, what areas would you recomend that are safe, great mountain views, a lot to do as a family (especially active, outdoors type things)? How good or bad the school district is isnt vital to us, since we homeschool.

thanks for your help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2006, 09:58 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
There is a large FEDEX building up the road from me a bit, at the corner of Old North Gate Road and Voyager Pkwy. If that is the Tech Center, then it is a pretty good drive from Manitou, probably 30 minutes each way, if no problems. Right now they are widening I-25, and the drive could be 45 minutes. Manitou does have it charms, but you're right on the flank of Pikes Peak and that may too close for a good view. I'm 15 miles away from Pikes Peak, but my view of the peak, and all of the Front Range, is outstanding.

There are fine neighborhoods within walking or bicycle distance of the FEDEX building, with great views of the mountains.

There are fine neighborhoods within a 10 minute drive of the FEDEX building, with great views of the mountains.

That area goes by several names: Northgate, Gleneagles, Flying Horse, Struthers, zip 80921, mostly new or very recent homes. Black Forest has wooded areas, many with acreage, many older homes with "character" and a history of remodeling / enlargements, zip 80908. All these areas are school district 20, one of the best districts.

Further north by 3-6 miles is Monument, Palmer Lake, Tri-Lakes, zip 80132, in school district 38, a very good district. A wide variety of homes. I think all the new stuff in Jackson Creek is in this area, as is Woodmoor. CSColorado and Shep are other regulars on the board, and will correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm not a realtor, but for better advice from all of us regulars, including those who are realtors, give us more specifics about your situation (price level, size of house, how many BR/BA you need, school needs, lot size, garage needs, other commutes, etc).

Lastly, there is a lot of data already here. Use the Forum Search tool by inserting a keyword, and it will find you that data without waiting for people to answer, which can take days. We have over 100,000 messages on this board now, and a lot of great data is down on pages 2, 3, 4, but has already been keyed in by we regulars & true believers and is instantly available.

Thanks!
s/mike

PS: My wife's cousin Dudley used to be a corporate exec pilot for FEDEX out of Memphis; the husband of our interior designer at Keller Homes is a pilot here for FEDEX; and I've had the midnight tour of the amazing FEDEX hub in Memphis as I was in the transportation biz with the DoD for many years.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 09-30-2006 at 10:01 AM.. Reason: Typo's

Old 09-30-2006, 11:39 AM

Thanks for the info, that's all a big help.

We are looking for at least 3 bedrooms, 2 bath - would really love to have 4 bedrooms though. Our price limit is about $190,000. Schools aren't a factor for us because we homeschool. We would love to be close to the FedEx.

Thanks!

Old 09-30-2006, 12:12 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of Memphis View Post
Thanks for the info, that's all a big help. We are looking for at least 3 bedrooms, 2 bath - would really love to have 4 bedrooms though. Our price limit is about $190,000. Schools aren't a factor for us because we homeschool. We would love to be close to the FedEx.
Thanks!
You won't get zip 80921 near FEDEX at $190k. Search on zip 80831, there's a lot out in the Peyton area. Also zip 80132 in Monument area has a few homes that might work for you, and is decently close to FEDEX.

A fair amount of searching might turn something up nearby.

s/Mike

Old 09-30-2006, 02:35 PM

9 posts, read 54,762 times
you probably won't find anything around Manitou that's decent in the 190,000 range. I'm in the same boat. We are looking to relocate in the next couple of years and want to find a house around that price range in the mountains too. I'm ending up looking more around Woodland Park. more of a commute- but more reasonable prices. I'm doing a 45 min. commute now in the Austin area, so as long as there isn't too much snow I think I could handle it. Divide has decent stuff for the money, but it's just too far. Hope that helps.

Old 09-30-2006, 06:51 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,915,731 times
There are some bigger homes where I live (The Hills neighborhood in Briargate) that are the bottom of the pricing for Briargate but you are looking closer to over $200k and slightly above.

Although, the three bedrooms in the immediate area are under $190. I live in a three bedroom two full bath home and it would probably be on the market for around $175k-$185k. It's 1600 sq. ft so it's not a large home but anything over 3 bedroom is going to shoot up up the price a lot.

You may want to consider renting for the first 6 months so you can get a better feel for the area and where you would want to live. There are three houses up for rent in my immediate 'hood. I don't know what they are goin for but at least you'd have some time to connect with a realtor and not feel pressured to buy a house immediately and come to think you may have made a mistake with it.

About the last commenter, commuting from Woodland Park to where the FedEX facility is (per Mike above) would be horrible in the winter time and combine that with I-25 and it's problems, oy. I wouldn't do that at all.

Old 09-30-2006, 08:13 PM

9 posts, read 54,762 times
I was going by the mapquest estimated commute time. Maybe that's not accurate. My work would be right around where that fedex facility is at the Progressive Insurance call center. Maybe just north of Manitou Springs would be better then? Rockrimmon area? or Old Colorado City. I suppose that would be still close to the mountains, but a better commute time.

Old 09-30-2006, 11:16 PM

Yeah, I think we will more than likely end up getting an apartment in the 80921 or 80922 area until we can get a feel for the area and where we would like to live.
We plan on coming soon to visit and check things out. Any recomendations on a good hotel to stay in close to those areas?
thanks!!

Old 10-15-2006, 03:00 AM

45 posts, read 334,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of Memphis View Post
Can anyone give me more info about it? We want to be as close to the mountains as possible. We are conservative Christians, and want to get plugged into a good Christian community.

So, what areas would you recomend that are safe, great mountain views, a lot to do as a family (especially active, outdoors type things)? How good or bad the school district is isnt vital to us, since we homeschool.

thanks for your help!!
As a conservative Christian I don't know how you will like Manitou Springs. That is more of the bohemian area of town. It's not exactly the Family Values area of town.

Try the Rockrimmon and Woodman Valley area of town.

Actually, the quality of the schools should matter to you even as a homeschooler. When I moved away years ago (in the process of moving back) the state had recently made it law that homeschoolers living in a districts boundaries could not be kept from taking part in select school activities. This meant that if a homeschool boy wanted to be on the local high school football team he would get the opportunity. If a homeschool parent wanted to send the kid just for advanced math they could do that also. I can only imagine this is still the case.

Rockrimmon and Woodman Valley are in District 20 which is arguably one of the best districts. The area is close to the mountains and the lay out of the roads make it seem more secluded than much of the city.

Old 10-24-2006, 12:01 AM

14 posts, read 80,442 times
Not too far from the Fedex Center -- east of I-25 are several nice areas with decent pricing. for around the 190K I'd look near the top of Austin Bluffs between Neveda and Union and also consider looking North of Constitution Between Academy and Paseo. Tends to be a decent neighborhood with larger style housing.

The West side (Old Colorado city area) also has some houses in your range - but probably not as large of living area.

Village Seven area also has some homes close to what you are looking for....but I would stay North of N Carefree.... as it is a high school boundary and Dougherty has a much better reputation that does Mitchell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs