Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 08:56 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,900,538 times

Advertisements

Hey Todd,
What class and # are you. I want to cheer as you go by at a 1000 mph.
-Paul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2007, 09:19 AM

214 posts, read 1,306,873 times
Spun, won and set a new record!
Mini Sprint no. 4.

PPIHC Content Page (http://www.ppihc.com/contentx.aspx?tabid=13&xsltfilename=PPIHCRaceDay&x mlfilename=~/Results/PPIHCResultsRaceDay&contentid=258 - broken link)

Old 07-22-2007, 10:59 AM

Congratulations Tood,
We were up at the left hander after Devil's Playground. Weather was perfect and had a great time. Can't believe how fast you guys are going, especially around corners that have sheer drop offs on the outside.
Sooo glad I was able to attend. See ya next year.
Paul

Old 02-17-2008, 10:26 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,341,268 times
Default What have they done to Pikes Peak?

I was just thinking about this, and it's made me angry enough to finally write about it. I went the Pikes Peak Hill Climb last year, like I do every year, and I was EXTEMELY disspointed with the stupid paving project , that is supposed to be completed all the way to the top in like 10 years. I guess I understand the whole " The road, unpaved, is causing erosion issues" debate, but seriously, they've added pavement and GUARDRAILS, to some of the most white knuckle turns and drop offs. They've completely wussified the entire course. The danger of sliding 80mph towards a 2000 ft drop off is what made the race so famous, and huge attraction worldwide. Now they've made it safe for a 4 year old to drive up the mountain. I for one, am VERY upset, at both the US Forest Service, The City of Colorado Springs, and the PPIHC board members for allowing this to happen. You know, at least you could have started paving the lower half first, and left Devils Plyground alone for the time being, but no, you started paving in patches. It makes no sense that the halfway picnic grounds are still gravel, but there's pavement and guardrails at 16 Mile? Whatever, I feel a little better now, but i'm still dissapointed because the PPIHC will never be the same as it was when I was a kid. I used to look forward to it, and now for the first time in 28 years, i'm thinking of not going at all.

Old 02-17-2008, 04:27 PM

Quote:
They've completely wussified the entire course. The danger of sliding 80mph towards a 2000 ft drop off is what made the race so famous, and huge attraction worldwide. Now they've made it safe for a 4 year old to drive up the mountain.
You gotta remember that the road is not actually a race course. It's a public road owned and maintained by the city of Colorado Springs. I'm more afraid that the race will be a victim of the city's risk-management dept someday. The race vehicles will have to continue to evolve as the percentage of pavement increases. In a few years they'll be all-out road cars and bkes. I would like to see a bicycle time trial included during the race week also

Old 02-17-2008, 06:14 PM

a bicycle??!?!? ROTFLMAO!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA

Old 02-17-2008, 06:58 PM

2,885 posts, read 7,097,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
a bicycle??!?!? ROTFLMAO!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA
Funny? Now, the way to bicycle to the top is by way of the Barr Trail single track Barr Trail (Pikes Peak) Mountain Bike Trail in Manitou Springs, Colorado || SINGLETRACKS.COM
Quote:
Description: This trail climbs 7500 vertical feel in just under 13 miles to the top of Pikes Peak (6,600 to 14,100 ft). Since bikes are not allowed on the toll road, this is the only way to ride your bike to the top of Pikes Peak.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:41 PM

I've hiked up Barr Trail. Not for the faint of heart, I can tell you that.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:56 AM

Update: ANyone going this year? I am so thrilled that I no longer have to spend $1000 a year just to fly out here to see the race.

I don't beleive Todd Cook will be running this year. He's one of my favorites. Gotta love those Wells Coyotes. They can get up some serious speed.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:46 AM

6,800 posts, read 10,422,221 times
Default the hill climb

My uncle used to race in it every year and we'd go up and watch it sometimes. It could be fun, but there's not a great deal to see - there's no place where you can stand and see the whole race, you just stand alongside the dirt road and watch cars race by while listening on the radio to get more detail about what's going on at other parts of the race. At least that is what I remember. It was pretty neat to see all the different types of cars, because there are lots of divisions that you don't see on TV racing. It is a big traditional event, but not THAT big - I'd say majority of folks have never been and just follow it a bit in the news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs