Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2013, 08:19 AM

6 posts, read 7,747 times

Advertisements

I've been trying to figure out how to get out of this town for 20 years and I think it is about time. I have always liked New Mexico and Colorado from visiting my grandparents as a child in ABQ and going on ski trips up to Colorado. This past summer my sister got married in Manatou Springs and it relight my desire to move there.

A little about my situation so y'all can know what I am looking for better. I am 27 with a stay at home wife who home schools our two kids. I have good skills in welding, equipment operating, and truck driving. I have been working for a company the last 4 years primarily as a managing supervisor. With this company I have gotten extensive experience as a dispatcher and have gained a lot of people skills. I would prefer a job operating equipment but will do anything I need to support my family and build a life there.

The unemployment rate there is slightly higher than here but the oil field just crashed here so we have a good overabundance of drivers, welders, and operators. I have been looking online for work and have found plenty of good leads with in a couple hours of Co Springs. I am not to particular on where we live as long as it is close to a town with a decent grocery store I would prefer to live with in an hour of The Springs but it is not a requirement. I read people complain on here of no jobs and all the construction always going on it makes me think that the people who can't find a job are either too picky or do not have diversified skills. I am not trying to say I'm a super talented guy who can make jobs appear where there are none, I am just trying to get a better feel for the job market.

We would prefer to live out of town or near the edge of town. Where we live now is 8 miles out of town (pop. 35,000) and we love it! We would do all our shopping in a town that is closer to us (pop 1200) but they don't have a grocery store. We ideally would like to be able to have a small homestead but are willing to start out where ever we need to to make a transition possible. We are looking for homes in the $125,000 range and a lower crime area where I feel safe leaving my family. Commuting to work wouldn't be a big deal as long as the job and housing supported it.

Thanks a lot for taking time to look at my post and help me with my decision,
Hoax
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 10:54 PM

193 posts, read 356,607 times
There are a couple of neighbourhoods that do verge on the Springs, and have lower housing prices. Check out Pueblo. Check out Falcon. I don't know if 125K is reasonable, but i have never looked. Also check out Ellcott, which is quite far east. You'd be driving 20 minutes for a grocery store.

From what I have heard, those hoping to work in a specific industry do typically find gainful employment, but not always right away.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:15 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,104,208 times
Pueblo would make 125k possible. Just be careful about which part of Pueblo. That puts you an hour from the springs and in a town of 60-100k. It was too small for my taste, but if you can work with being outside a town of 35k it won't bother you a bit. If you really enjoy the smaller cities, you might also consider canon city, though I don't know about housing prices there. Woodland park -- or anything up that way (Due west of CS) will be too expensive due to the cost of constructing houses there and the persistent demand for mountain cabins.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:09 AM

1,368 posts, read 3,220,049 times
I assume by "homestead" you are looking for a house plus acreage. At 125K, Pueblo and Limon are really your only choices if you want to be within an hour of COS and have any land with the house. There are some smaller towns (less than 1k) between Limon and COS but they do not have any grocery stores.

You'll have to create your own job in COS. If it weren't for the military, the town would have less than 50% of the population it has now and really wouldn't have much of an economy. USOC has some minor economic impact but it is very spotty and I don't know of any major event it has ever brought to COS. It does bring exhibitions for basketball teams and figure skaters to town though.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:52 PM

Thanks for the input! I don't really want to live in CoSprings just in that area. If I can get a good paying job I could probably afford $150-$200k for a house but right at this moment $125k looks easier to do. I would like to get a job as an equipment operator in a mine or pit. I have found good paying seasonal work clearing roads in winter and working forestry in the summer. My big concern in that is lack of sure stability and ability to grow in a company, both things I need to be the only income supporting a family of 4 and maybe growing. We have looked at Pueblo and Canon City but it looks like a desert. I would prefer some green scenery but there is always sacrifices. I think the Missis and I are going to try and make it up there during some down time here at work. That way we can see more and get to know a place and maybe it's feel a little better. I think if we can make two good trips in the next 6 months we could get to know if we like a place at all or if we stick out like a sore thumb waiting to get whacked by the hammer!

Thanks again,
Hoax

Old 01-16-2013, 09:07 PM

26,229 posts, read 49,095,067 times
There's a large gold mining operation up in Victor / Cripple Creek. Don't know the name but it open and running. You can probably see it on google maps, it's that big.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:33 PM

914 posts, read 2,208,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
There's a large gold mining operation up in Victor / Cripple Creek. Don't know the name but it open and running. You can probably see it on google maps, it's that big.
That was the first place I thought of. Here is the link: Cripple Creek & Victor Gold Mining Company

Housing lots are amazingly small in Cripple Creek/Victor, but you can look at what is available in the area on Zillow.com. Most employees apparently live in Woodland Park (farther than it looks because it is a slow drive).

You might check into the Canon City area as well.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:43 AM

Thanks guys! I was looking at the CCVGM (Cripple Creek Victor Gold Mining Co.) already! I guess I should call them. That is also the area that interests me the most. I really appreciate y'alls input, now let's just hope they have need for employees.

Thanks,
Hoax
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs