Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 07:01 PM

268 posts, read 1,130,059 times

Advertisements

I just moved here from out of state and I'm trying to decipher the requirements for getting a DL and CO plates for my car. The colorado.gov page states:

"A vehicle identification verification form (DR 2395) completed by a law enforcement officer, a licensed Colorado motor vehicle dealer or a licensed Colorado emissions testing station."

What in the world is this thing? I've registered a car in Arkansas, Texas, and Germany and never heard of such a step to do so. Any tips on how to get this done?

Also, does the proof of insurance need to be distinctly insurance for Colorado? I have USAA and my wife (RockyMtnMommy) is still in Texas, so we haven't yet moved the insurance to CO? Should I do this before I go get my tags?

And one more thing, for plates, registration, and DL, do I need cash or can I use a check or credit card?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2007, 07:50 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal View Post
I just moved here from out of state and I'm trying to decipher the requirements for getting a DL and CO plates for my car. The colorado.gov page states:

"A vehicle identification verification form (DR 2395) completed by a law enforcement officer, a licensed Colorado motor vehicle dealer or a licensed Colorado emissions testing station."

What in the world is this thing? I've registered a car in Arkansas, Texas, and Germany and never heard of such a step to do so. Any tips on how to get this done?

Also, does the proof of insurance need to be distinctly insurance for Colorado? I have USAA and my wife (RockyMtnMommy) is still in Texas, so we haven't yet moved the insurance to CO? Should I do this before I go get my tags?

And one more thing, for plates, registration, and DL, do I need cash or can I use a check or credit card?
To get a "vehicle identification verification form" take your car to Jiffy Lube and have them fill it out. I think it costs $10. Take that to the DMV so they know your car is for real and not some sort of scam (not sure all of their logic for this).

You have to pay taxes on a car when you register it here, we did that when we moved here two years back. They take checks, not sure about credit cards.

Proof of insurance is simply proof that you have a policy in effect. We have Geico and they issue wallet-sized cards for this purpose. This card is also needed to get a DOD vehicle registration sticker to drive into military posts. It doesn't matter what state you were in when you got a policy. Hopefully you've called USAA and updated your info with them.

Many states have unique rules on cars, tags and titles. CO seems to have a few of its own too.

Old 10-21-2007, 09:44 PM

Okay. I'll try that. I had just never seen anything like that before.

As for insurance. I have USAA, but my wife is still in TX and I'm here. To separate the policies will cost us extra (we lose the multi-car discount). If I don't have to change it, I won't. But if I need to, I'll move both to CO even though she's still in TX.

The DoD stickers are going away for the AF.

Old 10-21-2007, 11:33 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,940,609 times
Call USAA... they'll issue you a Colorado Insurance card. I know this... we're USAA also. It's so easy... one phone call and they'll either email it to you (within minutes), and/or you can print it off their site. It won't negate or change your policy and you'll still be insured in TX, though they'll ask if you want to change your address. I believe they're the only company that does auto insurance in EVERY state, though I could be wrong.

USAA was created for and is run expressly for military families. They're used to our sudden life changes and they're all about customer service. (Can you tell I just LOVE this company?!)

Old 10-22-2007, 12:00 AM

Postal,

Missed your last post before I posted my reply.

First of all, if you're active duty and the cars are in your name (even if it's with your wife), you do NOT need to change your registration or your DL... doing so will change your state citizenship and you will be giving yourself a paycut... CO has a state income tax. Plus you'll be paying tax on the car here and new registration fees... so not necessary!!!

Your wife will be required to change her DL when she gets here, but those serving on active duty military do not need to... their licenses are good even expired with an active duty card.

USAA will not remove your discount because you have two separate households. For years, we had one car registered in NM and one in FL. Just call for a card... they carry auto insurance in all 50 states (few companies do) and it's just not an issue for them.

The base will not care where your car is registered, as long as it's current.

TX will take a change of address for here for both your license and your registration. My husband has a FL DL with a NM address on it... no kidding! (You can absentee vote.)

Do not let ANYONE tell you otherwise... you're serving your country. Many civilians (and service members) do not know this stuff... don't let their ignorance of the law cost you. If you change it all, the only way to change it back is with new orders to a income tax free state... do you want a paycut for 3-5 years? Of course not!

I'm a now former Navy wife... my husband got out in July... if you have ANY questions, PM me and I'll respond as soon as I can.

Good luck and God bless!

Old 10-22-2007, 06:39 AM

This just bothered me all night. There must be more military families out there who need this information.

I found the website with all of the Colorado Law, including the military exemption (turns out your wife won't need a CO DL either!) Good information about dates and such for car registration for civilians too.

Driving in Colorado (http://www.usafa.af.mil/superintendent/ja/driving_in_colorado.cfm?catname=ja - broken link)

You'll probably have to cut and paste the link. Good luck!

Old 10-22-2007, 06:49 AM

41 posts, read 387,322 times
sskkc-
We're both ex-military now, so actually do need to change our residency and pay CO taxes and what not. Hopefully USAA will work with us for 2 more months while we maintain two residences. Thanks for the info though.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:03 AM

Definitely good info. I'll give USAA a call today and see if they will issue me a CO proof of insurance.

As RockyMtnMommy said, I am former active duty. I've been through the license thing for several years. Texas was the first time in 6 years where I lived in the same state as my plates were from. I only did that for convenience since I didn't want to drive back to AR to get new plates after being overseas for 3 years. I had AR plates in FL and MS. AR has had a very easy mail-order renewal for years.

I've even seen someone stretch a USAREUR (US in Germany) license plate for about a year in TX.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:35 AM

USAA is a lifetime membership. You can only join while active duty, or if you're the minor child of a member, but it doesn't expire.

If you have kids, ask for them to be assigned membership numbers while they're still underage... you don't need accounts for them to get them assigned a membership number.

Also, their main insurance offices are here in Briargate... makes claims even simpler.

Good luck in your relocation and transition to civilian life.

Old 10-22-2007, 02:28 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,916,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
To get a "vehicle identification verification form" take your car to Jiffy Lube and have them fill it out. I think it costs $10. Take that to the DMV so they know your car is for real and not some sort of scam (not sure all of their logic for this).
Jiffy Lube doesn't do that anymore.

A friend of mine moved here from Atlanta in August and when I called Jiffy Lube for her, they said they don't do it.

The dealerships will do the VIN verification and it's free. I had her go to the Al Serra dealership since it is right by the DMV in Chapel Hills.

Last edited by COflower; 10-22-2007 at 02:33 PM.. Reason: clarification
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs