Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 06:32 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,874 times

Advertisements

You have to go into a police or trooper department and pay them to do your fingerprints. Then, we had to whiteout the department's address & replace it with CBI address so when CBI sends it to the lab the results will be returned to them, not the local department who took the fingerprints. I sent the fingerprint card in myself to CBI.

This clarifies why it is important to do this ASAP:

State struggles with teacher license backlog | EdNewsColorado

Plus, you can't do the online application for licensure until your prints have been sent in to CBI.

My application is still pending my fingerprint processing by CBI since February.

I have recent fingerprints in Montana & Alaska, which they would not accept. It had to be processed by CBI.

Hope this info helps....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 03:40 PM

35 posts, read 37,083 times
Does anyone have any information about Southpointe Apartments, Arbor Pointe Apartments, and Clearview Apartments? These are relatively close to the school I'm going to be working at. The cost of rent is in my price range and just wanted to know if anyone is familiar with the complexes. Are they in a safe area, clean, helpful staff?

Old 04-19-2013, 05:59 PM

6,824 posts, read 10,520,613 times
Of the three you mention, Clearview is in the best neighborhood, imho. I don't know anything about staff, etc.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:26 AM

3 posts, read 2,537 times
I'm happy you got the job you wanted, but I'd like to warn you about Colorado Springs. The crime is higher than you would imagine. The whole city is military based Ft. Carson Army Base, Peterson Air Force Base, The Air Force Academy, Norad, etc.... Many retire here, then work in civilian jobs. The city is very good to THEM. They get jobs before anybody else. Be prepared for that. It's very "brown" and mostly, very out dated here. There appears to be a gloom over the entire city that everyone sees but cannot describe. People are very "friendly", but they are all from somewhere else, so finding your place here takes time. I suggest you look for a place in the Broadmore area or, like me, waaaaay up North. Prettier and safer. Look on "Crime Stop" or other city stats or crime websites, to see where the crime is. I took a job over a phone interview (which in my field is fishy) after never having been here before. They even paid me to move across the country. That was a red flag for me, but I went ahead with the move. Big mistake and would love to return to yes, Detroit. Fired from my job for something that would have been a write up or warning elsewhere, now my career is ruined. They are an "at will" state and fire people left and right, at least in the hospital where I worked. A lot of ex military management that act as if they are still in the military. If you haven't been here before, please take the time to visit first. There are no nice malls, and Walmart is everywhere. That was an issue for me, it may not be for you. Very little nightlife for someone your age, unless meeting a military man is what you want. The mountains are beautiful and the hiking is great. You might like it, but be forewarned. I'm moving to the Denver are and can't wait to get out of this town. Please do your homework!

Old 04-25-2013, 03:38 PM

Man, way to kill my excitement for moving to the area hahah

Old 04-25-2013, 05:11 PM

177 posts, read 314,992 times
One less unhappy person to deal with. Good riddance and enjoy Denver!

Grew up north of there in Longmont and do not miss that area one bit.

Old 05-18-2013, 10:54 AM

371 posts, read 1,211,545 times
OP, have you found an apartment yet? I am also a sped teacher and just started looking into the COS area. I love Denver, but I'm just not having any luck landing a position here. I remember when I was first looking Widefield seemed very interested in interviewing me (I had already accepted another position). I'm also a 25 year old single female...I'm just worried that the area will not have much to offer as far as things to do or meeting other people my age. The salaries in COS are also considerably lower than Denver and I was wondering if the rent/cost of living seemed cheaper to make up for that.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:44 PM

Yea I found an apartment for $529/month which is a great price for the salary I'm making. The salaries are considerably lower than in denver but I have a masters so they hired me at a higher starting salary. As for nightlife and things to do I think it's not as upbeat as denver, but even the nightlife there for me is not exciting considering I'm from New York. I think COS has more of the mountain and outdoor lifestyle and that's what I'm interested in for now. I know there's a smaller downtown here and they have a few cute neighborhoods with bars and restaurants like manitou springs and old colorado city. I think you can definitely meet people here just by getting involved in activities and through work! I'm going out there without knowing anyone and I'm just ready for an adventure!

Old 05-18-2013, 11:40 PM

371 posts, read 1,211,545 times
Wow that's crazy cheap! I live north of the city now and I pay almost double that. I'm not super outdoorsy...that's one of the things that I really like about Denver (more diverse interests). At this point I can't afford to be really picky though. I applied to all of the main districts, so now I just have to wait and see.

Old 05-19-2013, 05:11 AM

Maybe living here will change your mind about the outdoors, and if it doesnt, denver is only an hour away. good luck to you! And from what I remember widefield was one of the higher paying districts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs