Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 07:00 PM

35 posts, read 37,071 times

Advertisements

I am a NY State certified teacher in elementary edu 1-6 and students with disabilities 1-6. I have worked as a teacher aide in a school for children with autism for the past 7 years and also as a home ABA provider. I got my certification in February and have been actively searching for out of state teaching positions, especially in Colorado (because I've always wanted to live there), since the market here on Long Island is horrible. I have an interview lined up with the Venetucci Elementary School in Widefield School Disctrict. I just wanted to know what the chances are for an out of state applicant are and how competitive the interview process is in that district. I also want to know what the cost of living out in Colorado Springs is and what the nightlife and things to do for a young single 25 year old female from New York would be like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 08:18 PM

6,823 posts, read 10,516,715 times
Venetucci is just down the street from me. Widefield typically hires "its own" but if you're getting an interview I think you have a fair shot. I teach in a different district but we have hired people based on phone interviews if they seemed the best candidate. I would expect cost of living to be considerably less than Long Island, but also considerably less night life.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:24 PM

930 posts, read 1,654,391 times
Widefield will be a considerable change in pace for you, you may like it! If you love the fast-paced, always something to do in NY, then you may be a bit lacking in the entertainment category. Denver is about an hour or so away, though.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:00 PM

Thanks for your input. I'm definitely interested in a change of pace compared to NY and I really enjoy hiking, biking, snowboarding and other outdoor activities so I think Colorado would be a good fit. And i do enjoy the nightlife, but as you said holly, Denver is not so far away!

Otowi, what district do you teach at? Generally with Colorado districts do they have more than one interview? I have a skype interview, but would there be a follow up interview with a demo lesson? That's generally how they do things on Long Island but it is an intense interview process since there are so many people vying for one spot.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:15 PM

I teach in Colorado Springs D11 but live in and attended Widefield District 3 and have family that attends and works there. As for interviews - every principal may do it differently. Typically we have not done the demo lesson thing to my knowledge.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:56 PM

Do they generally just have one interview with the team and make the decision based on that then?

Old 04-09-2013, 05:16 PM

Yes, usually, but again, principals can pretty much do what they want so it may vary.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:50 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,600,592 times
I concur with otowi. I'm in D49 and have interviewed in: D11, D49, D20, and many charter schools. Each position for which I interviewed had a single interview and that was it.

When I first started interviewing in Colorado, I had a Connecticut license and lived in Virginia. I had a hard time finding a position. Make sure you are already trying to get your Colorado license, that will be a large factor when it comes to whether a school will hire you.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:24 AM

Yes, and do your online research so you know as much as reasonably possible about the school and district you're interviewing with.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:24 PM

Thanks for all your input guys. I was offered the job and as long as my references are good and the paperwork goes through human resources im in. They have not said anything about transferring my NY certification over thouhg. Is this because NY has reciprocity so I will be able to work with it until the transfer goes through? I have not yet applied for a CO license and the process is confusing to me while I was looking into it online. What do I need to have done? I already have the program verification forms from my graduate school but not sure what else I need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs